So, when are the clever calculations actually done?

Now being a naive chap I thought that when I'm watching my one minute action the clever little computer is whirring away calculating who should live and who should die and I watch in "real time".

But after clicking on the red button prematurely, so to speak, and seeing it jump to the minute end, which means it looks to me like all the clever stuff is when the little blue bar makes its way across the screen, and it's all over before I to see anything.

Frankly, it's a bit like finding out Santa doesn't really exist.

But if he doesn't, where do the presents come from?

It's been that way since CMX1. However when CMSF was first released you did see everything as it happened because the turn played out in front of you, you couldn't use the VCR features until it finished.

Mord.

Correct. As Mord pointed out the way the game originally worked you saw the results unfold as the action played out. Then there was the relentless assault of the Blue Bar Brigade who, through repeated suicidal charges, managed to overcome our defenses and we only survived by reintroducing the Blue Bar. And so now all the fancy bits come during Blue Bar time. Not that it makes any difference to the gameplay itself, but we lost that argument with the Blue Bar Brigade long ago :D

Steve

P.S. With computers becoming way more powerful and CM's code more efficient, there is definite value in the Blue Bar. So for sure the game is better for it existing.

The men you see struggling heroically ten seconds into the turn are already dead. They were killed by an HE shell that will arrive half a minute later.

From a divine perspective, you would be able to see the whole turn suspended in an instant.

It's all so sad. !

But at least today we also now know the Mayan calendar merely ran out of space rather than running out of time.

Well,

Some might be obliged to point out the correct French (Mord's supply of of "Le") would be l'ours bleu. Given that Michael Emrys has shown the creature to be an adorable bear cub, it should probably be l'ourson bleu. Of course, both would spoil the clever mixed mode conceit!

On a more useful note, the Army used to evaluate LOS by plotting a desired sight line on a 1:50,000 topo map, then determining, for that specific sight line, whether there was intervening terrain. I believe that trees were treated, generally, as 20m high, if present.

Regards,

John Kettler