Russia as Blue? Expansion request!

I sure would love to see an expansion pack for CMSF with modern Russian troops (on our side, or on either side!). I have mixed together several Red on Red scenarios and have had a lot of fun, but would like to see some newer stuff. A BMPT (urban combat vehicle on a T-72 chassis), BTR-90s, BTRTs (T-55 chassis urban infantry carrier), night vision, etc. It seems like the basis is there already. Just a quick expansion... pleeease? :)

I sure would love to see an expansion pack for CMSF with modern Russian troops (on our side, or on either side!). I have mixed together several Red on Red scenarios and have had a lot of fun, but would like to see some newer stuff. A BMPT (urban combat vehicle on a T-72 chassis), BTR-90s, BTRTs (T-55 chassis urban infantry carrier), night vision, etc. It seems like the basis is there already. Just a quick expansion... pleeease? :)

BMP-T and BTRT never entered production. Russian Ministry of Defense outright cancelled the BTR-90. That being said, there are lots of cool Russian toys we would have gotten, like Krasnopol artillery rounds, various upgrades of T-72, T-80s, Spetsnaz troops, etc. I doubt we'll see it, but it would've been cool to get a Russian forces module, at least piggybacked on one of the other modules.

As I've opined numerous times, it would be extremely foolish for BFC to write a dumbed down Us (US) vs Them (latest sinister Asiatic Horde) backstory for this particular game -- e.g. Russia = Serbia, Ukraine = Bosnia.

I hope both sides get equal time, and that in the backstory it will NOT be clear who the good guys really are (Are the NATO intervenors peacekeepers or neo-imperialists? Do the "Allies" trust one another? What's keeping the nukes from flying? etc. etc.)

I suspect there are a lot of Russians who will play this game, and if they see their side being dumbed down into cardboard villains, either in the backstory or via various forms of in game "ubermensching" (unsplittable squads), look for hacked "warez" versions of the game to appear in pretty short order.....

Not really sure what LLF was getting at. Being confused I am just restating that I play the Russians as the GOOD guys (blue), trying to put down "Syrian" insurgents by using the best "Syrian" equipment in the game (I have to do this red on red but the Russians are still the blue side). If the Russians had an extended deployment into an urban hotzone I'm sure those prototypes would be available in short order to the troops. Given that T-90s, BMP-3s, and a lot of pretty good small arms are already in the game, a Russian "good guy" EP should be very easy to do. I'd buy it, of course. I know this will probably not happen since CMSF is hmmm, CM version -5, if I remember correctly. (Italy, CMBN+Comm, Afghan, all later).

Sorry to confuse you. Like Mord, I was referring to the upcoming CMSF2 game, where Russia and NATO are definitely on opposing sides. If you use them as Allied forces adding to the CMSF1 superpower "pig pile" on Syria, then that's great. But there's no way BFC is going to add anything to the CMSF1 (Syrian invasion) game -- they've moved on.

China vs Soviet, CIS, Russia (whatever is appropriate for the story line). Leave it up to individual interpretation as to who started it (hence, the bad guy). For an expansion add in western units that could fight on either side. We could even finally have Japan! Nobody's specifically the bad guy, and it would be original... however, might not sell to well over here without U.S. units from the start. I know I can leave it out but... I'd buy it!

China vs Soviet, CIS, Russia (whatever is appropriate for the story line). Leave it up to individual interpretation as to who started it (hence, the bad guy). For an expansion add in western units that could fight on either side. We could even finally have Japan! Nobody's specifically the bad guy, and it would be original... however, might not sell to well over here without U.S. units from the start. I know I can leave it out but... I'd buy it!

Some months back, I proposed a murky, Byzantine backstory with no clear "good guy", in which German/Polish-backed Ukrainian forces fight Russian-backed, umm, Russians, and where (armoured) French and Italian EU "peacekeepers" risk coming to blows with their (lightly armed) US and British "colleagues". Think Beirut 1982 or Mogadishu 1991.

Erwin, thanks. I went over to the "dark side" and ride a desk for money. I'm still in the cockpit maybe once a week. Maybe I'll go back to flying full time, I hope so, but the stability, knowing I have a good job, is nice.

Interesting thing... I now work with a guy from Hungary, so I got to impress him about my knowledge of their WW2 armor. He loves to quiz me on old military aircraft, which I am decent at. It seems I have to unlock secrets from this guy by earning them. He flew in Korea, had four kills... flying a MiG15... switched to our side after he ran out of gas behind our lines due to "bulletholes", flew for the U.S. Air Force training U.S. pilots (REAL OPFOR!), then had an airline maintenance career. He's flown just about every awesome military aircraft up to the start of Vietnam. Me109 & FW190, YAKs, MiGs for the Hungarians, P-51, F-86, F-100 for the U.S. (Plus many others.) Oh, and after I told him about WW2 armor he told me about a specific battle he saw as a kid. He described the shelling (by both sides) while he was in a bunker. I guess he did come out for a second, he watched an 88 (he looked through pictures and later IDed it) eliminate a T-34. Said that it fired, the round penetrated the turret ring and the turret was "ripped off" (internal explosion, of course, but he was 9 at the time and doesn't claim to know anything about tanks). He said it eliminated two or three Russian tanks.

LLF, you've put some thought into that! Sounds like fun! (For a game, I mean!) Certainly plausible!

Sinister Asiatic/Russian commiehordes are ALWAYS the bad guys :-) ActuallyI don't think the backstory really matters that much and there area number of options you could have varying from a Ukranian Civil War with NATO coming inas peacekeepers toanArcLight style situation

Anyway,for NATO I would like both heavy and light forces withall the western nations available in CMSF now plus some additional expansions covering Polish, French etc.

What would be great if youcan do it is to make the game compatible with CMSF so you couldimport/export forcesfrom either eg CMSF NATO Germans to CMSF 2 OR CMSF 2 Russians to CMSF 1.May be an interface could be developed similar in style to theNormandyPatch.Thesame patchmightopen up the year.month and weather inCMSF1 to bring it uptodate and allow us to cover the Syrian Civil War.Oh and larger mapsfor tankbattles,abilitytoshoot down aircraft etc. Wellit wouldbenice to have if you can do it:-)

ww2steel: You are clearly a very talented and hardworking dude. The metalworking projects alone are impressive. But to be a commerical pilot as well(!)... There was a time when US entrapreneurial business/free eneterprise was built by folks like you. Am shocked at the travails you are experiencing.

Sign of the times I regret to say when Wall St brokers and bankers who produce nothing but who manipulate markets and financial rules (that they themselves wrote to permit their amoral shennanigans that would be illegal if you or I attempted them), and make multi millions on the backs of ordinary hard-working folks while true entrepreneuers like yourself struggle..

As I've opined numerous times, it would be extremely foolish for BFC to write a dumbed down Us (US) vs Them (latest sinister Asiatic Horde) backstory for this particular game -- e.g. Russia = Serbia, Ukraine = Bosnia.

I hope both sides get equal time, and that in the backstory it will NOT be clear who the good guys really are (Are the NATO intervenors peacekeepers or neo-imperialists? Do the "Allies" trust one another? What's keeping the nukes from flying? etc. etc.)

I suspect there are a lot of Russians who will play this game, and if they see their side being dumbed down into cardboard villains, either in the backstory or via various forms of in game "ubermensching" (unsplittable squads), look for hacked "warez" versions of the game to appear in pretty short order.....

Well - given the Ukraine is heading away from the more liberal pro western stance it took after the orange revolution and has formally withdrawn its request to be part of NATO - I am wondering what the scenario will be. I suppose the obvious would have been a russian move to invade - but it seems more likely these days that the ukraine would be on russias side in any conflict.

I suppose there could be some issue with poland - but I would have thought the fight would be in poland then. given the game will require NATO to be on ukrainian soil I am kind of struggling to see a scenario where that would happen. Still - I stuggled with the syria thing and look what happened there.

In any event I am presuming that the first "blue" side in the game will be the US - so they will have to be a main protagonist and not some advisor role.