Grey/Gray Targeting Line - Tanks

Hello All:

Trying to target an enemy tank with one of my tanks. The target line is grey. The manual says "and gray if it’s mostly clear but not for every soldier in the squad/team."

This doesn't bother me too much for a squad but when it's a tank it's more important. I don't know who has LOS. I think it may be the Gunner that does not have LOS. They have seen the enemy AFV but just fired the MG on top of the tank (is that an AAMG on the shermans). Now the enemy tank is ticked off of course. And I still don't know if the Gunner has LOS.

Gerry

Hello All:

Trying to target an enemy tank with one of my tanks. The target line is grey. The manual says "and gray if it’s mostly clear but not for every soldier in the squad/team."

This doesn't bother me too much for a squad but when it's a tank it's more important. I don't know who has LOS. I think it may be the Gunner that does not have LOS. They have seen the enemy AFV but just fired the MG on top of the tank (is that an AAMG on the shermans). Now the enemy tank is ticked off of course. And I still don't know if the Gunner has LOS.

Gerry

The most dramatic way is to go the ground level with the camera and look over the "shoulder" of the tank. In general though, unless you are dealing with some really weird height situation, the gunner should have LOF.

The most dramatic way is to go the ground level with the camera and look over the "shoulder" of the tank. In general though, unless you are dealing with some really weird height situation, the gunner should have LOF.

Even that's not reliable. Some tanks have their gun half way between lowest and next lowest vision height settings. At least that's how it seems to me.

Real life tankers faced the same problem. Stugs in particular were in danger of buring a round into the intervening terrain while the roof mounted persicope gunsight gave them a clear field of view. Sherman tanks switched from the narrow gun mantlet to the wide primarily to hold a coax telescopic sight, because the original roof mounted periscope caused them no end of grief. Think of the LOS/LOF problem to be a 'historical' kind of frustration. ;)

Getting enough of that with Bil and ND?

Anyway, my Sherman survived but was hit a bunch of times, IIRC by a PzIV. A wall is blocking the Gunner I thought after reading your answers and it is a pretty high wall.

However I just realized I am still confused! Unless I am not remembering correctly I had that Sherman fire HE over that same wall to the left hand-side. So now I am wondering how it could do that!?

Gerry

Let us know how the turn ended, I hate cliff-hangers :)

Getting enough of that with Bil and ND?

Anyway, my Sherman survived but was hit a bunch of times, IIRC by a PzIV. A wall is blocking the Gunner I thought after reading your answers and it is a pretty high wall.

However I just realized I am still confused! Unless I am not remembering correctly I had that Sherman fire HE over that same wall to the left hand-side. So now I am wondering how it could do that!?

Gerry

Did the gunner status display go into the aiming-firing loop without anything actually happening? That's a sure tell-tale that your gunner is having trouble acquiring the target.