artillery support going wrong

I'm a bit green with CMBN and I just started to play veteran level.Recently,I got a couple of disappointing experiences with the artillery support.Once I established the parameters for a barrage,It fell in the wrong place about 50 o more metres away just over a position that had been taken by my men.Sometimes it falls in another place without any efect.

Is this normal?,It usually happens while playing in higher levels(up to veteran) or have anything to do with the observer/officer's skills? How can I solve it?

Welcome aboard.

There are a lot of threads about artillery. Without getting too detailed, the accuracy of the artillery depends on the spotter. If the spotter cannot see where the artillery is supposed to land, or IS landing, then the artillery will be less accurate. Additionally, the skill level of the spotter will also determine the accuracy of the artillery. If the spotter is suppressed during the artillery "spotting rounds" cycle, it will be less accurate.

Finally, remember that artillery is an area weapon. Precision is not its forte. Anything closer than about 300m to friendly troops would be considered "danger close".

Hope that helps.

Ken

I'm a bit green with CMBN and I just started to play veteran level.Recently,I got a couple of disappointing experiences with the artillery support.Once I established the parameters for a barrage,It fell in the wrong place about 50 o more metres away just over a position that had been taken by my men.Sometimes it falls in another place without any efect.

Is this normal?,It usually happens while playing in higher levels(up to veteran) or have anything to do with the observer/officer's skills? How can I solve it?

Are you using the emergency option? This will reduce the accuracy of the barrage.

,It fell in the wrong place about 50 o more metres

As mentioned above, Arty is an area weapon. 50 metres is not that much out - in fact even nowadays, once you get within 50 metres of the target during adjustment you then go to fire for effect (ie all the guns in the battery firing at the target). Only exception is registration shoots, which are a technical mission, and these go down to 25 metres.

Safe splinter distance (without zone etc) for a modern 105mm shell is about 250 metres and I don't think the WW2 stuff would have been vastly inferior to this.

When you select emergency, the spotter will not call for spotting rounds to adjust the location where the barrage is going to land and you're just firing on good luck :)

In other words, it could land anywhere in about a 300m radius of where you expect it to. It'll be quick, but that's its only virtue, as it stands an excellent chance of being useless, or worse than useless.

arpella72,

Here is some information which I think will help you to understand a bit about how artillery really works. Note particularly the impact footprint tables which show how much ground various battery and battalion volleys cover, as a function of the sheaf chosen. Generally, when the target is bracketed to 100 meters, Fire For Effect is ordered.

http://www.poeland.com/tanks/artillery/sheafs.html

Taken from here

http://www.poeland.com/tanks/artillery/artillery.html

Here's the nitty gritty on how the British handled artillery during WW II.

http://nigelef.tripod.com/keychars.htm

Pages 57-85 of FIRE FOR EFFECT cover U.S. Field Artillery and CAS use during WW II.

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/csipubs/mcgrath_fire.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

eeer...yes,I usually use emergency:o (if not always)

That's a big LOL.

50m is actually pretty good for emergency rounds.

It is a good idea to designate a largish area centred on whatever you most want to hit. This gives you the best chance of hitting what you are aiming at even if the fall is off. Don't try too hard to minimise your arty use to exactly what you need to hurt something and not an arty shell more. This can work but often you will find yourself spending alot of time waiting for short barrages that often don't do all that much.