Stupid is as Stupid Don't

Brutal was too kind of adjective for the fight my lads had been dealt. I had forced them forward relentlessly with no regard for weeping and gnashing of teeth. There simply was no choice. That bunker had to be neutralized and these men were the only ones available to get the job done.

They had already taken out that those pesky ammo carriers from that IG crew on the left flank and now the bunker lay just 30 meters to their right. With no LOS to my squad and bazooka team the bunker had no way to stop the imminent assault on their happy hiding hole. I lowered my binoculars long enough to light a Lucky Strike, took a deep drag and released it in a slow deliberate stream and confidently hit the red turn button.

Just as planned, the eight men of the squad moved into position behind the bunker while a bazooka team found a favorable flanking position. It looked like the next minute would pay handsom dividends. They were about to accomplish what 30 rounds of 155 howitzer GP had failed to do.

2nd platoon was counting on them to clear the path so they could move forward to Hill 1024. I was counting on them. Hell--the whole damned war hinged on this moment.

The squad leader gave last second instructions to his stalwarts. "Alright men! We're going to hit them with pine-apples right after the bazooka hits 'em! See that door on the back of the bunker?" (The men all nodded). "Well, Don't pay any attention to it! I'm pretty sure it's fake. That's the last place I'd expect the MG team in the bunker to exit from."

I stabbed out my Lucky Strike and with a derisive snort ordered the next minute to start, thinking it'd be the last for those poor suckers in the bunker. And things started just as I had foreseen. The first bazooka round was a beut, a solid hit rewarded with 2 red crosses. The grenades followed, and the bunker was wracked by mutiple explosions. The bazooka team cut loose another round of death and a scream accompanied by another red cross exited the bunker. That's when things went wrong. Gut-wretchingly wrong.

The squad performed exactly as ordered. They completely ignored the door on the bunker. The remaining scout stepped out with his SMG, bleeding from the ears and seeing triple from concussion affects. None of my men saw him step out of that one available exit. And he began to fire. And he continued to fire. And my men looked at each other in disbelief. Where was he? Where did he come from? We know that door is fake so it's no use checking there. Sarge said so.

Finally, the one remaining trooper of the squad fell back in a panic. The scout stepped out, stood a on a large rock and took aim at the bazooka team and touched off another burst. He hit the bazooka, turning it into a twisted piece of useless metal. The man who had been holding it fared worse. The scout then turned on his heal and beat feet over the ridge toward the rear and his presumed Knights Cross.

(end of story--beginning of short rant)

I love the whole BF series. There are some negative details I wish could be dealt with (deadly pistols come to mind) but I know enough about programming to realize that some fixes players think would be simple can be a nightmare to code. This story does not reflect a one-time event. I've learned to write off any team that assaults a bunker before the action starts. I just wish the AI could learn that there's only 1 exit from the bunker and that they'd have somebody watch it during an assault. But what the hell and oh well, it might lead to some good horror stories.

Cheers! :-)

Some time ago I assaulted an Italian bunker with a paratrooper squad split in two teams. It worked like a charm. I lost a man, but my men killed 6 or 7 surviving enemy riflemen (no SMG) who tried to get out of the bunker ASAP. They were nicely grouped 1 m away from the bunker door.

However I have learn to fear an SMG at short range. In the same scenario, this time while playing the Italian side, a lone Italian Sergeant armed with a Beretta M38 SMG killed 8 paratroopers from two squads/teams trying to assault the house were the sergeant was hidding. The shooting was done at 2-10 meters from the door the Italian was guarding.

SMGs at short range are MURDEROUS

LOL excellent. At one point when I was still figuring out bunkers and demo charges, I ordered a team to blast a bunker. Of course they went into "hiding" as they tried to figure out setting charges on something that wasn't in their manual. Meanwhile some other guys to the side were tossing hand grenades that as it turns out caused the bunker guys to bail, where upon they stood over my poor guys who were busy looking through their manual .. and shot the whole team.

Some time ago I assaulted an Italian bunker with a paratrooper squad split in two teams. It worked like a charm. I lost a man, but my men killed 6 or 7 surviving enemy riflemen (no SMG) who tried to get out of the bunker ASAP. They were nicely grouped 1 m away from the bunker door.

However I have learn to fear an SMG at short range.

SMGs at short range are MURDEROUS

Good point I failed to mention. It's always the SMG that get me in these situations. I just "wish" that the assault team had better awareness that the bunker crew would probably exit and so they'd be ready for it. I bet that'd be a tough one to code though. In any case--not a game breaker at all.

I like your idea of hitting it with small teams. I break squads all the time so I should have tried that. At the least, I could try sending in just an assault team so I wouldn't lose so many guys from the squad...

Zooks are only made of tin (not literally, I mean thin rolled sheet). Easily mangled by a burst of SMG fire.

But would it twist the bazooka ?, the description gives one the impression of a much larger level of ordinance than a bullet, more like a bomb, so i should of said "What weapon did the scout have......a bomb ?"

There's no way round it, as much as i liked the post. the description of the bazooka after the scout fired was a clear case of over egging the pudding as they say in the UK.

But would it twist the bazooka ?, the description gives one the impression of a much larger level of ordinance than a bullet, more like a bomb, so i should of said "What weapon did the scout have......a bomb ?"

There's no way round it, as much as i liked the post. the description of the bazooka after the scout fired was a clear case of over egging the pudding as they say in the UK.

Over egging the pudding? Me? (Perfect use of the metaphor)!

:D

Good point I failed to mention. It's always the SMG that get me in these situations. I just "wish" that the assault team had better awareness that the bunker crew would probably exit and so they'd be ready for it. I bet that'd be a tough one to code though. In any case--not a game breaker at all.

Addtional spotting-checks each second against any working door that is closer than some specific distance ? Or maybe only IF the door is inside a Cover Arc cone of this unit?

I wish a narrow cover arc ment that the pixeltruppen are really focused on this direction - even if they pay less attention to other directions, so more vunerable against threats outside of their cover arc.

If there were more frequent spotting checks inside the arc, at price of less frequent spotting checks outside of the arc - then the overall number of the spotting checks for this unit would stay same resulting with no game slowdown, hopefully.

For now, maybe setting one team with an area fire order exactly at the bunker doors would do for a workaround ?

Anyway, thanks for reporting this :) in my games I will pay close attention to such situations and try to secure against sudden SMG surprises :).