New here

Hey all, would just like to introduce myself. I used to play the other Combat Mission games, and after trying out Battle for Normandy, I bought the bundle w/ Commonwealth forces and it is currently 11% downloaded. I know I sound like a complete noob for asking this (Well I kinda am...) but, are there any "Must-Have" Mods? And are there any other good sites/forums for networking with others who are into this game?

The main reason I am posting here is because I am HIGHLY interested in getting some multiplayer going (soon). Hopefully someone can help me get started with that. I've never played multiplayer with any of the Combat Mission games and I have always wanted to. There is something very appealing about playing this against another human mind that I have always wanted to experience but never have had the chance.

Cheers.

- Roc

Welcome.

Play the game for a while first, then start browsing the mods.

I have all vehicles modded, terrain, sound, and UI - so basically everything. The only downside is that it takes longer to load a game, but oh well.

Playing against a human is MUCH MUCH more challenging and rewarding than playing the AI. I love playing PBEM games, and I spend lots of time watching replays from every angle, analyzing everything, and really caring about my forces. When I play the AI, it's not nearly so involving for me. Humans are so much more unpredictable and clever, and every game is different.

Welcome aboard, Roc. There are a ton of mods so it's basically personal preference. If you like your vehicles dirty check out Aris' stuff, I have a US voice mod people seem to like, Darknight Canuck has uniforms for the CW formations, MJKerner did patched unis for all the US forces...best thing to do is browse the Repos and GAJ's site. Check both 'cause they have some different stuff at each.

Repos

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=41

GAJ's

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods?by_downloads=true&game_type=5

For other players besides here...try these;

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/

http://webandofbrothers.yuku.com/topic/13358/CMBN-WeBoB-First-Impressions?page=6#.UBn8haD4IYM

That should get you started. Have fun...it's a great game!

Mord.

Welcome Roc!

You've landed yourself in the right place.

There are a lot of great mods out there. I would say to just try them all! But my favorites are akd's sound mod, JuJu's UI, Vein's tracers (short), and there are also some GREAT fire mods.

There are tons of other mods out there, just mix and match, but the ones I listed are my essential mods.

Welcome aboard, Roc. Listen to Mord, and definitely get all his mods. But don't ever play against him. The FORCE is strong within the young lad!

Check out The Few Good Men website as well. They have a lot of campaigns, ladders, etc., for when you feel up to human vs. human. After 3 years of CMSF and a year of CMBN, I finally gave in and joined an FGM multiplayer campaign. NOTHING beats playing against a person! I never looked back, except to play the AI when I don't have a head to head game going, which is rare.

Roc,

Welcome aboard!

I have no sage words to give you on mods, but you'd better believe I'm paying close attention to the answers you receive! I have the whole shebang installed, but am in the RTFM stage, this after some rough handling by the Demo earlier. Follow my tale of elation and woe, probably more of the latter, at the thread which bears my name. Should be educational and inadvertently entertaining!

Regards,

John Kettler

I found a great improvement in the terrain looks (for my taste, ofc) with Aris Terrain mods. They are all in the repository.

I also use a crafted to my taste version of the SFX mod. It has plenty of new sounds for explosions, ambient, hits, etc, but mainly it makes many small weapons have their own unique sound. I find that very immersive.

There are elements of both Aris and Vein's Terrain mods that are "must have". The problem is it's a pita camparing each individual element to determine which one you like best then organizing (or deleting) the ones which you don't want to display, so I'd recommend to look at both of those terrain mods and just go with which ever one as a package you like best.

Welcome aboard, Roc. There are a ton of mods so it's basically personal preference. If you like your vehicles dirty check out Aris' stuff, I have a US voice mod people seem to like, Darknight Canuck has uniforms for the CW formations, MJKerner did patched unis for all the US forces...best thing to do is browse the Repos and GAJ's site. Check both 'cause they have some different stuff at each.

Repos

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=41

GAJ's

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods?by_downloads=true&game_type=5

For other players besides here...try these;

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/

http://webandofbrothers.yuku.com/topic/13358/CMBN-WeBoB-First-Impressions?page=6#.UBn8haD4IYM

That should get you started. Have fun...it's a great game!

Mord.

Please excuse a newbie question from someone who has played CM since CMBO -- I just recently started PBEM, and I wondered if both parties had to have the same Mods (as is the case with many games/sims today, to play each other?

Please excuse a newbie question from someone who has played CM since CMBO -- I just recently started PBEM, and I wondered if both parties had to have the same Mods (as is the case with many games/sims today, to play each other?

Mods don't matter but you must both have the same base game version and the same modules which cover the scenarios you want to play

Mods don't matter but you must both have the same base game version and the same modules which cover the scenarios you want to play

Great, thanks.

I was also concerned because of a comment another player made regarding, in this case, different screen visibility -- for example: that said he was using a smoke mod, and his competitor, who was using the default smoke, could see units on his screen that were invisible the the person using the modded (but apparently thicker smoke) smoke mod. Is that possible? Thanks again.

using a smoke mod, and his competitor, who was using the default smoke, could see units on his screen that were invisible the the person using the modded (but apparently thicker smoke) smoke mod. Is that possible?

Only in a limited sense. There is even a mod that gives the foliage on trees transparency which will make it easier for you, the human, to see into the forest and look at units you know about. So a smoke mod with more or less transparency would effect how you, the human looking at the screen, would see units you know about. You can also toggle smoke off in game too - which also effects how you, the human, sees units you know about on screen.

However the game handles spotting between units without regard to mods. So smoke and tree foliage block (or not) the view of the units in the game as determined by the game's engine. So if smoke makes one of the enemy's units invisible to your units will not be visible regardless of what mod or setting you are using for smoke.

So, if you are playing with a thick smoke mod it might mean *you* fail to notice a *spotted* unit in the smoke but the game cares not what mod you are using.

Only in a limited sense....

So, if you are playing with a thick smoke mod it might mean *you* fail to notice a *spotted* unit in the smoke but the game cares not what mod you are using.

Thank you. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure (so much for my excuse for losing to him in the last game, lol).

Be thankful you aren't looking at an unmodded CMBO straight out of the box; we loved it anyway!

Heh yeah, I can officially say I've modded the crap out of it yesterday thanks to everyones suggestions. Even after all the graphic enhancements, I'd say the mod I notice the most is Vein's short tracers. Makes a huge difference IMO. Gotta love the sounds though as well, ah who am I kidding I love all the mods :cool: