Tiger 1 running

Yes its that time of year again where Bovington tank museum get their old tanks out and drive them about for people to see.They have the only running Tiger1 in the world.

here it is and very nice it sounds too.I'm sorry that you tube has mangled the aspect ratio a bit but the sound is good.I even managed to get some shots as they were putting them away after the show so I have some nice close ups.

It's good to watch a few such videos, to realise what level of performance (off road speed, maneuvering) one can realistically expect from each tank.

In case of the Tiger - it's a heavy tank. It's engine is struggling on high rpm to push it cross-country. It can accelerate to quite good speed, but it takes time. Any maneuvering (other than gentle turn) requires slowing down, carefull operating with gears and throttle, the engine is working hard then. The KT would be even slower. Same engine, more weight. The Panther acceleration and maneuverability is really in another league , much better, with the engine less strained.

I would like to see in game tank performance similar, like on those videos of preserved running examples. Yes, the WW2 drivers could treat their machines a bit more rough, than museums drivers do, but we can have an overall idea of each machine's "technical" level of performance.

I went to Bovington twice in May, the weird thing was, all the big tanks seemed smaller, and all the small tanks seemed bigger ?!?!

The only exception was the King Tiger with the Porsche turret, that was massive compared to all the other WW2 tanks, even the King Tiger with the Henschel turret, i think it's the length of the Porsche turret that adds to he immensity of that particular model.

It was placed next to the Pershing which was apt, seeing them together, i almost felt it was a shame the war couldn't of dragged on another year, so we wargamers could fight historical WW2 battles up one tank level :)

It is a Heng Long product, it actually shoots little plastic bb's from the gun which is fun. Product described at the link below, although I don't know how keen I would be to put mine through the water and mud in the video they show:

http://www.awesomehobbies.com.au/shop/ah000083.html

I think it might be a metal bodied version. Mine is just plastic. I do recall it was powerful enough to drag a 1 year old toddler around the house on his knees though!

1:16... That sounds pretty powerful!

I feel this... overwhelming urge to get one. Do they come fully equipped, or do you have to buy a bunch of extras to get em to sit up and do tricks? In one of the other links from your link there is a sequence of a model Sherman firing its gun with flash effect and recoil. Very impressive.

It came fully equipped for play. There are a bunch of accessories you can get like metal tracks and so forth but for a but of fun they are good to go.

I read online a couple of years ago a guy scratchbuilt a 1/6 model that had a paintball gun as cannon! Now that is hardcore!

Yes, the WW2 drivers could treat their machines a bit more rough, than museums drivers do, but we can have an overall idea of each machine's "technical" level of performance.

I think that these videos of preserved tanks give a rather different picture of the performance of these tanks, as if the preserved tanks are either driven wrong, or are technically lacking.

Particularly videos from the late 40s/early50s of Tiger E, VIB and Jagdtiger, they give a much more positive picture on the performance of these tanks. Even Jagdtigers move rather smoothly, given their "lack of performance". Just try to find the videos from the 50s showing the British test the "Porsche" Tiger II, it gives a very impressive view on its abilities - a positive one at that.

I think that these videos of preserved tanks give a rather different picture of the performance of these tanks, as if the preserved tanks are either driven wrong, or are technically lacking.

Particularly videos from the late 40s/early50s of Tiger E, VIB and Jagdtiger, they give a much more positive picture on the performance of these tanks. Even Jagdtigers move rather smoothly, given their "lack of performance". Just try to find the videos from the 50s showing the British test the "Porsche" Tiger II, it gives a very impressive view on its abilities - a positive one at that.

Here is one of the videos.

Didn't ever see a fim from 50s of a running Tiger I/II, do you have any links ?

Well, many of the films from 40s and 50s are were shot at a different framerate that is used today, and the are often playing too fast. One would have to take it into consideration and try to estimate if the video is playing at correct fps and everything is natural, or maybe it's played too fast and everything is slightly speeded up.

If the engine of the Tiger - a restorated and fully functional (now) engine - is working hard on high rpm to move the tank, then I know the engine is just too weak for the mass of the tank to make possible better performance. The tiger was said to be maneuverable for a heavy tank, considering it's mass. But it was not fast tank, and it's engine had to work hard to push it trough maneuvers, soft ground or uphill.

On the other hand, I seen (on a video) a really dynamic demonstration of a Panther tank :). Well, same engine, but only 2/3 of the mass. No wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26cSk60Aj3Y&feature=related

I think it's a good driver and it shows well what a Panther could achieve

Here is one of the videos.

Thanks, didn't see that before.

Hmm the film looks like it's playing with natural speed, the people are moving naturally.

We see the KT running - well of course that it could run 30 or maybe even 40km/h on a flat ground, if it has time to accelerate.

We see in maneuvering (moving in a circle) on a soft but flat ground and it's quite maneuverable considering it's mass. But unfortunately we don't hear it's engine so we don't realise that it's working really really hard on high rpm to achieve that. It looks so "easy" only if you don't hear the engine...

Now, take a look and hear how it really sounds:

Now it doesn't looks so "easy" when it moves... Well, I don't say it was "barely able to move" - it was suprisingly maneuverable for it's size and mass - but it wasn't so quick and easy and fast turning like the MBT-like thing we have in CMBN :). And the crews probaly preferred to not strain the (already overburden and made with defects from poor materials) drive train (engine, transmission, suspension) too much, because using it to it's max performance would grealty increase chances for a breakdown.

On the other hand, we also see it's much smoother riding tank than those lighter tanks and vehicles - thank's to it's advanced suspension and great mass. On the other hand, the suspension (and the tank as a whole) was so complex and sophisticated (read - expensive, time consuming to build and maintain, not too reliable...)

What suprised me was the speed of turning in place. But again, it was flat soft ground. Anyway, it was not a good idea to turn this way in reality, we see that there is a risk of blocking the trakcks/wheels with dirt/mud and/or throwing a track. A turning while moving was much preferred. Don't know if there was any technical reason for Tiger 2 being a better maneuvering tank than a Tiger I, but T2 had the same engine with much greater mass (56tons vs 68 tons) so it had to have worse performance in accelerating, rough or heavy terrain. The ground pressure was also very similar, higher than for the Panther.

Unfortunately, we don't see it maneuvering in rough terrain or moving uphill - where it's large mass would be a greater problem.

Oops it was the video posted by Vergeltungswaffe that I thought of. Perhaps I imagined that they would be absolutely horrible from some things you can read about their defects. Seem to work rather well for their size, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. Short lifespans perhaps, but enough to get them trough a fight with efficiency.

Individual tanks would perform differently, especially on the Tiger II, since some were modified with governors and others not. They would also have short lifespans, I do not imagine that they are the most reliable tanks ever made, but for the time they were well made given the resources at hand. I doubt its success can be described with good crews either, given their late appearance.

What is the ingame turret rotation for the Tiger II? 19 seconds seems the norm, but apparently some commanders managed 9 seconds in emergencies. As fast as a Leo 2 today.