TO&E changes between Sicily and Normandy.

First thanks to Normal Dude for providing a rundown of US Ranger TO&E in another thread. Would it be possible to get a brief summary of the differences in US and German units between Sicily and Normandy? For instance I believe Heer Tank Platoons still had 5 tanks instead of 4 in late '43.

Thanks

Couple of highlights, off the top of my head:

For US Infantry Battalions, the biggest difference is that their antitank platoon has two sections of two ATGs in the AT platoon, instead of three in one platoon. The battalion can also be armed with Springfields instead of Garands and Carbines.

US Armored Infantry has the AT guns distributed through the company, instead of being grouped into one platoon.

The big German organizational changes made in late 43 don't apply to Sicily, as the type 43 organizations didn't start until after Sicily and very late in the year. So many German units use 1942 orgs. 14-man PzG squads transported in two Kfz 70s. (effectively 12 in game though, since 2 are drivers)

Something else off the top of my head. No full CMBN allied Tank Destroyer Battalions. You get a Regimental anti-tank company (three platoons), and they've left their self-propelled assets back in Africa. So a choice of towed 37mm or 57mm. Towed 3 inch (76mm) had yet to be fielded.

Also no full German heavy tank battalion. You've got the one hvy panzer company with the unusual vehicle count of 17 Tiger Is to match the number in Sicily at the time of the invasion.

I guess what the allies lack in anti-tank hitting power against the Tigers they make up for in light cruiser 6 inch guns offshore. German experiences with naval firepower in Sicily strongly affected their decisions during the Normandy invasion. They did not want their tank divisions to be within range of offshore artillery.

Something else off the top of my head. No full CMBN allied Tank Destroyer Battalions. You get a Regimental anti-tank company (three platoons), and they've left their self-propelled assets back in Africa. So a choice of towed 37mm or 57mm. Towed 3 inch (76mm) had yet to be fielded.

So no M-10s? I know I've seen lots of pictures of them in Italy generally performing as artillery. I guess I always figured that they were there from the start of the Italian invasion. What's the time scope of CMFI?

So no M-10s? I know I've seen lots of pictures of them in Italy generally performing as artillery. I guess I always figured that they were there from the start of the Italian invasion. What's the time scope of CMFI?

The first release covers US forces and their German/Italian opposition on Sicily.

There is no connection between the Infantry Regiment AT company and the Tank Destroyers. The tank destroyer battalions did not participate in the Sicily campaign, beyond sending some men to supplement other units and to perform rear-area duties.

gunnersman,

A Ranger Company in 1943 has two platoons of Rangers. There are two five-man 60mm mortar teams at the company level, officially they were part of the platoons but the practice as I understand it was to have them at company level.

The platoon HQ is four men, one of whom is a marksman. The platoon has two sections (CM squads) of ten men each, which has a GL and either a BAR or an M1919A4.

So a Ranger Company/Platoon is much smaller than the equivalent infantry formations, with less heavy weapons.