Wait, no 8th Army?

No doubt....but all would have been present in smaller than divisional (or even brigade?) sized formations.

Like that's gonna stop you from wanting to get the stitching right on their socks? LMAO! You know you already got a chart out telling you the standard foot size of the average Rhodesian!

We've got a lot of obsessing ahead, brother...I can feel the carpol tunnel already.

Mord.

To be honest, the only Rhodesian forces present in Italy that I am aware of at the present time were air force squadrons. As for the Czechs and Greeks, yes they were in battalion and brigade strength respectively, SFAIK. If anybody here has more precise OoB info, please speak up.

Michael

This raises a question for me: did the HG wear FJ uniforms? I know it was called an armored parachute division, but thought they might wear the FD uniform.

Michael

Jeez those Germans were devilishly clever weren't they? To even think to place armour on their parachutes so the men can't easily be shot down while descending. Amazing!

Regards

KR

Jeez those Germans were devilishly clever weren't they? To even think to place armour on their parachutes so the men can't easily be shot down while descending. Amazing!

The 'armoured' part of the design worked excellently. Typically standard of high quality German face hardened armour. A wonderful, wonderful piece of design work.

The 'parachute' part of the design ... not so much. Oh, it opened perfectly, and formed a precisely shaped canopy. The descent rate, however, was a little fast. Unfortunately, after all 1,500 gypsy volunteers failed to survive testing, the design had to be abandoned.

And Rhodesians and Czechs (and Greeks?). Probably an Aussie or two in the RAF...

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of RAAF squadrons in Italy. The Rhodesians had two or three artillery batterys (one anti tank and one LAA, and maybe one other?), but I think they only served in North Africa. The Rhodesian Official History is here: http://www.rhodesia.nl/Lion%20Guardant.pdf

There was the Jewish Bde too, of course, but like the Greek Brigade I don't think there were any substantial differences between them and a 'standard' equivalent British unit.

The French were mostly equipped by the US by the time they got to Italy, but the organisation - especially of some of the more obscure and colourful colonial units - was very much unique.