New file at the Repository: Where all the Glory Lies (2012-05-28)

****Single Play USv Axis AI opponent only.****No US Attacker AIThis is the new mission I added to the Montebourg campaign. It is a very short and tiny mission very suitable for a quick play against the AI. It is highly recommended for RT play. Basically, this is Brecourt Manor on D-Day, using 2/505 PIR instead of the 101st.There*are no US AI plans as it would be absurd to expect the AI to be able to 'pull off a Winters'

More...

• 3 weeks later...

LOL yeah, it's getting weak around here to get a little feed back or praise.

I haven't played it, nor anything else lately for that matter but I will say thanks for the efforts. The Scenario designers are probably the number one best asset to the community.

Mord.

PT, as a mostly pbemer, I don't usually play single player. I'm also not a quick pbemer, games take a long time. So, I have downloaded this and plan on playing it, in part because the Eroudville (sp?) battle I'm conducting H2H is/has been excellent. So, your work is very much appreciated by me as well as countless others I'm sure. Thanks for all your efforts, as one who has dabbled with the editor there is no doubt you put a lot of time along with your heart and soul into this.

• 2 weeks later...

I just played it in your revise The road to Mounterburg campaign. There seems to be a little problem with the guns. There should be 4 but my soldiers only found 3 and were all over the trenches. Also the suggested gun positions (Gun 3 for example) are swapped so when your soldiers make a contact it says Gun 1 next to Gun 3 text.

This is a tough audience. :eek: Three weeks and 114 downloads and still not a single comment. It's not exactly inspiring somebody to produce more stuff for the Repository. ;)

I thought the same when my first offering (a map, submitted last week) hit 80+ downloads with nary a comment...until I looked at the background information to some of the other maps and scenarios and discovered that the ratio of downloads to comments seems to be in the region of 1 comment for every 100-150 downloads. One those numbers, your first comment isn't even overdue yet! :)

It's certainly made me aware of the importance of giving feedback to people to make their work available for free, and the first time I downloaded someone else's map, I immediately went back to comment on it, a process I'll be repeating from now on.

Holdit

PT: I d/l all your scenarios as I know they will be xnt. But, maybe it's the fragmentation issue we're startig to talk about, but I have so many other games ongoing in CM1, CMSF, CMA as well as CMBN, I am too overwhelmed to start anything new. And all those games will probably go on the back burner when CMFI comes out...

Am realizing that with the increased rate of proliferation of CM product I have to create a CM playing "policy" regarding what I will play and why and when.

The folks here who say that they plan to hold off playing any new "family" of CM games until that family is fully patched, updated and all the mods are available so that they can enjoy the fully developed experience, rather than getting bored during the incremental improvements phase(s), are starting to make sense to me.

Hister

Ah! Those are the old historical Brecourt mission landmarks and there's a mismatch between them and the mission's VP objectives. I left them in for flavour, perhaps not a good idea as they are confusing if used together. There were four guns in the historical mission but the fourth was in that gun pit with good LoS to the US entry area beside the derelict truck. Sometimes, they spotted your guys getting into position and they started firing. This made the mission a crap shoot and not so much fun to play (as in no fun) so I took it out. Pete Wenman figured on a solution to this particular problem in his 'Silence the Guns' mission but I wanted to keep the map small so I couldn't use his ingenious idea.

Aha, I see! Regardless of the confusion I enjoyed this short mission.

So the artillery gun started to shoot on your approaching men? You should have positioned it a bit to the side and that problem would be fixed wouldn't it be?

If no changes are done on map then add the text saying the fourth gun is only imaginary.

;)

Heh! It could be worse if it was positioned behind the bocage as it would sometimes swivel towards the noise of the guns suppressing the forward MG position. So when your boys moved up to the bocage line, they were well set up to get the first shot off. Yikes! I tried lots of different tricks to make it work and this is the best solution, bar Pete's, that I could find for having the Germans fire the guns on the attackers. It never happened in the real life mission because they were 105mm artillery pieces and likely couldn't depress to fire on targets so close.

How did you get on with it? It was designed to play quickly and be fun but not difficult. However, it will pose problems for a cautious player.

SPOILER ALERT!

It was fun and it kept me on my toes until the end. I positioned the two machine gun teams to provide a covering fire and sent grunts in the trenches. Company leader was the first to jump in the trenches and led the attack, he he. Maybe German soldiers surrendered a bit too quickly on contact, dunno. I had a lot of them surrendered whilst in the real historic mission no surrender would have been possible.

When trenches were cleared I sent my men towards the exit bypassing the mine field. German additional units that arrived were suppressed by my two machine guns and they all broke. Maybe this last wave of Germans should have a bit tougher morale or something so they don't return back to when they came from as soon as one of their guys is hit?

I gave this mission a 4 out of 5 stars ;)

There is room for improvements.

Thank for that feedback, Hister. I appreciate it. BTW, were you reviewing the campaign version or the stand-alone version? The stand-alone version is a tad tougher than the campaign version ;) I absolutely did not want to have the player sacrifice some very good units early in the campaign just to get a win. It would also have meant some rebalancing of the later 2/505 missions.

Everything in this mission is designed with a particular effect in mind. ;) If you play this mission aggressively, you shouldn't have much of a problem with it. Players who play cautiously and slowly will have a different experience playing this mission. It's designed to reward the bold player and punish the cautious one.

I played the campaign version. All good then! ;)

BTW, truck derelict is marked on your map but I see no truck there just a bunch of garbage.

Looking at historical maps I couldn't really understand which way were guns directed - the same as yours? Yours look kinda funny 'cos their fire would be obstructed by trees?

I noticed the truck is #8 (I think) in the junk flavor objects, but it has never showed whenever I tried to place it. What your secret?

I don't saw any derelict truck in flavor objects, which game version do you have?

I just see a wrecked truck on the pic!