Who is working on which scenario or campaign?

It is amazing how few new scenarios or campaigns are launched since the release of the Commonwealth module. Are people too busy, is the editor too complicated or am I just impatient?

Are there any people working on scenarios at the moment? Villers-Bocage for example? I'm not claiming I've played all the available scenarios and campaigns, nor making a contribution myself, but I'm just curious.

I am working on a base-game, "Blue and Gray" 29th Inf Div campaign.

are you only interested in CW module tho?

No, I'm also interested in the American part of the Normandy campaign, but I've noticed that after the release of the Commonwealth module the number of new scenarios have seemed to dry up. Might be wrong though. Good to hear about your campaign!

I am working on a base-game, "Blue and Gray" 29th Inf Div campaign.

That's excellent -- Which part of the 29th operations is your campaign focusing on? The July battles interest me most, but they remain problematic until we get FJ units, since they represented most of the opposing forces against the 29th in that time/area.

One exception is the 115th Infantry, which fought just west of the Isigny-Saint Lo highway on the far W end of the 29th's line. I'm currently finishing an 800 x 1200 map of La Luzerne, where the reinforced 3/115th is about to try and blow a company of the 352nd ID out of a village strongpoint. It's the next battle in the operational-tactical campaign I've been fighting with sburke. I'll post the map/scenario setup on the repository when it's done, as a HTH-only game.

I must admit I´ve been sitting on an almost finished scenario for some months now:

The testing was completed just as CW was released. So I thought I´d hold it back for a while, because releasing it then would have meant that it had drowned it the all the CW commotion. Secondly, I was quite sick of the scenario by then, so I thought I´d wait a while before applying the last changes.

And then I sort of...

...forgot about it

:-/

But have begun looking at it again. And I hope I´ll be able to release it within the next month or so....hopefully

That's excellent -- Which part of the 29th operations is your campaign focusing on? The July battles interest me most, but they remain problematic until we get FJ units, since they represented most of the opposing forces against the 29th in that time/area.

One exception is the 115th Infantry, which fought just west of the Isigny-Saint Lo highway on the far W end of the 29th's line. I'm currently finishing an 800 x 1200 map of La Luzerne, where the reinforced 3/115th is about to try and blow a company of the 352nd ID out of a village strongpoint. It's the next battle in the operational-tactical campaign I've been fighting with sburke. I'll post the map/scenario setup on the repository when it's done, as a HTH-only game.

I definitely would like to include those july battles, as they were the initial inspiration to tell the 29th story.

I'm perusing "beyond the beachhead" right now to find some anecdotes to try to model some historic engagements.

It is amazing how few new scenarios or campaigns are launched since the release of the Commonwealth module. Are people too busy, is the editor too complicated or am I just impatient?

Are there any people working on scenarios at the moment? Villers-Bocage for example? I'm not claiming I've played all the available scenarios and campaigns, nor making a contribution myself, but I'm just curious.

almost done an Authie scenario with the Canadians - company size

almost done a DDay para drop scenario - platoon - company size

about to start a Hill112 scenario - company size

must get started on AI for Carentan - batallion size

Working on a rather small (500x300m) urban scenario, that evolved from some experiments. Expect many piles of rubble, city blocks, a factory area, working railroad underpass and lots of "mouse holing". :D It´s about 2 US Infantry Coys, plus bits of armor support vs. FOW germans. Map is about 70% finished and it possibly takes me yet 1-2 weeks of work, before test release.

Here´s some screenies from another thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1363223&postcount=2

Working on a rather small (500x300m) urban scenario, that evolved from some experiments. Expect many piles of rubble, city blocks, a factory area, working railroad underpass and lots of "mouse holing". :D It´s about 2 US Infantry Coys, plus bits of armor support vs. FOW germans. Map is about 70% finished and it possibly takes me yet 1-2 weeks of work, before test release.

Here´s some screenies from another thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1363223&postcount=2

Looks like I´m not the only one longing for a Stalingrad style CM2 game, eh Harry?

Based on my experience with the quality of your CM1 scenarios, this is bound to be very good. Looking forward to it

:)

Still working on my 11. Panzerdivision campaign on the battle to cover the retreat of 19th Army from Southern France "Montélimar to Valence" 19th to 29th August 1944.

Battle flow for the campaign done.

"La Coucourde" - map done (3.4x2.8km). scenarios under testing (approx 10 battles).

"Sauzet" - map done (3.2x1.7km). scenarios in development (approx 8 battles).

"Marsanne" - map 50% (4.0x2.4km) (2 battles).

"Crest" - map layout ready (approx 4.0x2.0km) (2+ battles).

"Allex & Grane" - map layout ready (approx 4.0x4.0km) (2+ battles).

"Le Puy" and "Livron" maps postponed as nice-to haves.

For me the killer always seems to be the AI plans. By the time I do the research, build the map and select and deploy forces, I'm too burned out to devise even one intelligent maneuver plan. And bluntly, the current AI toolset doesn't work well for infantry-- without a huge amount of tweaking it tends to result in clumsy human wave tactics and heaps of men mowed down in the open while trying to execute on-the-clock orders that have clearly been superseded by events.

Ive got these in the works-

Putot en Bassin- Royal Winnpeg Rifles vrs 12 SS (part 1). Testing

Putot en Bassin - Canadian Scottish counter-attack vrs 12 SS (part2). Testing.

Brouay - Brits attack 12 SS. Testing

Francheyville - a special mission.

Another about to reach testing in about a week.

The 2 Putot en Bassin should be about a month away.

Brouay about 6 weeks

Francheyville about a month.

:D

For me the killer always seems to be the AI plans. By the time I do the research, build the map and select and deploy forces, I'm too burned out to devise even one intelligent maneuver plan. And bluntly, the current AI toolset doesn't work well for infantry-- without a huge amount of tweaking it tends to result in clumsy human wave tactics and heaps of men mowed down in the open while trying to execute on-the-clock orders that have clearly been superseded by events.

hear hear, i love the design tools and aesthetics of building the maps, its a brilliant experience but then comes the AI - lol what we need are expert groups on here split it into map design for those that cant be bothered, and AI designers for those that excel in evil plans!

and id like more flavour items - i have a great map for carpiquet but for the life in me i cant get a runway to look right and it looks bizarre without planes dotted about the place

..Yes I have noticed the scenarios/campaigns drying up a bit...this could mean all our fellow grognardians are deeply immersed in the stoc k campaign.scenarios....I know I am personally still battling thru all of CMBN let alone playing scenarios/campaignswith our commonwealth lads......

into the breach....

I believe the main shortcoming for the AI is the limited AI Groups: I know it will bothersome to have even more groups to plan, but as it is in bigger scenarios (above Company size) you're left with no options but to make too large groups that definitely will end up in doin' foolish things, those pixels poor bastards...

I believe the main shortcoming of the AI is the lack of triggers.

The AI needs to react to human actions. You could have thousands of groups, but without triggers, the AI will still do weird things in the context of human player movements. It needs to react with triggers like, "greater than 10 units of player in area 3, move units of group A4 to area 5."

Looks like I´m not the only one longing for a Stalingrad style CM2 game, eh Harry?

Based on my experience with the quality of your CM1 scenarios, this is bound to be very good. Looking forward to it

:)

Hey Dennis! :) Yes..bet on it, when it comes to urban carnage! :D

The only problems I have to deal with right now, is the very different quality house textures and one can´t mix and match as one likes. :rolleyes: Also had to mod a handful of ground textures (easy to do) to get overall looks right. Oh well...

Here´s a bit of more or less subtle differences:

cmnurbancompare.jpg

Now that I see it, I think I´ll change back to original gravel texture, which seems to fit better. Rocky Red 2 is now modded rubble and hard ground is one of Aris/Fuser. Also added a bit of dirt to original pavement 2 and highway.

I believe the main shortcoming of the AI is the lack of triggers.

The AI needs to react to human actions. You could have thousands of groups, but without triggers, the AI will still do weird things in the context of human player movements. It needs to react with triggers like, "greater than 10 units of player in area 3, move units of group A4 to area 5."

I´m currently experimenting with giving an attacking AI split infantry groups right from the start, so it won´t do "assault split" infantry where it really hurts (very short range, closed terrain).

Think as some designers proofed, it´s also important to make the occupy zones for movement, appropiately sized to the groups # of units.

..and Yes, we need sort of triggers. :)

Well, I have a dream about doing a campaign thats centers around 2nd Bn, Essex Regiment in Normandy. There is enough for abought 8-9 semi-historic scenarios in that campaign. But learning the scenario editor is a big curve and Im having a hard time to motivate me to sit down and learn it when I have so much else to do.

atleast I got the title ready "The Pompadours in Normandy" :cool:

But in answer to the OP, I have a Tiny recon scenario ready to go, except I can't bring myself to do the AI design and inevitable troubleshooting. I also have a detailed battle map of La Meauffe and environs, and a bigger map covering the entire left bank of the Vire down past le Carillon, but RL has put a serious damper on gaming at the moment. Hope to get back to it eventually. I haven't played a single CW turn yet either, much less purchased CMTouch.