Favourite vehicle

why do you like the stug? i've not had much luck with it against shermans

i'd like to hear how you use it

as for favorite vehicles of mine - i recently played All or Nothing against the AI as the brits and found the Churchill VIII to be quite formidable

i'd never used one before, but in this particular battle the Churchill took shots from everything the germans had including a flak 88 and a tiger and survived - sure, this probably wonh't happen all the time - but i was pretty damn impressed

hum, on another note, i also liked the brit arty - man, i had no idea they had such formidable arty - some of it was leaving craters the size of vw's - impressive stuff

***Spoiler for All or Nothing *** (not that there are probably many that haven't already seen it, but you never know)

don't know about the croc - it and the two churchills i had were stuck at the main bridge due to lack of engs (the one's i had, which i speical delivered in a half track) decided to bug out the second the tiger started shooting the place up

so i never got the croc close enough to the germans to have any fun with it

fortunately i rolled an absolute ton of armor down the back side over the rail road track and got the germans to surrender on like turn 54

btw, do the americans have any arty that is as stout as the stuff the brits had in All or Nothing? I mean jeez, i had enough arty, and some big stuff too, that i literally could of just about leveled the town

[ December 31, 2002, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

My favorite vehicle has always been the Jagdpanther, but I have lately been hooked on Q.B.'s with Allies defending, and I discovered the M51Stuart: three mg.'s and a wicked little 37mm main. On the last one I played it took out two Stug III's and a Puma (?I think--the light wheeled tank with a 75) , plus a whack of half-tracks. Scrappy, effective, cheap, and accurate. My Hellcats always become smoking pyres and rarely finish one for one.

Mine would have to be the ChurchillVIII. Its the only tank i have that survived a hit from a schrek ("internal paint flaking"). Its got the blast to clear away anything troop related (and lots of it), and C rounds that can take out nearly anything with armour. Mind you once the C rounds are gone its AT ability turns to crap, I remember slogging it out with a Pz4 100m away across a bridge with just HE. Lasted 3 turns before he got a gun hit me. I had to reverse out.

My favorite Allied tank has to be the Sherman VC Firefly. That bad boy is absolutly deadly when used properly.

My favorite Axis tank is the Panther G. I know, everybody seems to like the Panther, but there's a reason for that IMHO. When facing towards it's target it's almost invincible.

I love the Pershing for its firepower and have always had a softspot for the Panther. I have to agree with an earlier post about the M5. I have had 1 or 2 of them eat a German recon company.

As for arty nothing ends a game quicker than some big naval guns. I once had a company of infantry and a platoon of P4s spread over about 1000 meters completely wiped out by two volleys of naval arty.

Daimler AC.

For the points, it is the best vehicle in the game. 40mm gun can take down all but the biggest of the cats from the side, and it has the mobility to get to the side. No HE rounds is the only drawback. If you want those, you have to go to the Greyhound.

And a vote of support to the Firefly. It is to the Tiger what the Daimler is to a StuG.

Despite my screen name, my favourite is the Cromwell IV. fast speed plus a 75mm gun means it can flank and kill anything the Germans have. Of course it's curtains if anything hits it, but that's the same for most Allied tanks in CMBO.

Playing as the Germans I like the good old gamey Hetzer smile.gif .

Hmmm, choices, choices....

I guess my favorite vehicle is the German 37mm flak halftrack. I know it's use in PBEM is considered gamey and it's even been banned by some but I still like it.

My favorite tank is probably the Stuart. It's been mentioned before but this baby has three machine guns, is fast, and has a main gun that can take out most Axis armor from the rear or side. And it has a large ammo loadout. I can always find a use for one or two when I'm buying my units.

Even though the lowly Stewart can knock it out frontally in CMBO, I still like the Tiger. Personally I think it is far too vulnerable in CMBO but if you also play CMBB, it is modeled much more realistically. For the Allies I like the EZ8 model of the Sherman. I like the big wide tracks. It looks like a Sherman on steroids.

I'm fond of the Archer. It's got its quirks - heck, it's got a rearward-facing gun - but learning how to use it is part of the Archer's appeal. It's under 100 points, and it's got a low profile and a gun that'll kill a big cat from the front. Just had one take out two Panthers and two StuGs in a QB.

If I remember correctly, the British kept the Archer in service into the 1950s.

David

I like the Archer, too. In a lurking hulldown position it can kill anything up to Tigers with great ease.

Lots of other favorites, for example:

Allies: Churchill VIII; Cromwell VI & VIII (w/ the 95mm); Firefly; Hellcat, M8 (for cost effectiveness).

Axis: Panther, Jadgpanther, PzIV/70, Hetzer (for cost effectiveness).

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Even though the lowly Stewart can knock it out frontally in CMBO, I still like the Tiger. Personally I think it is far too vulnerable in CMBO but if you also play CMBB, it is modeled much more realistically. For the Allies I like the EZ8 model of the Sherman. I like the big wide tracks. It looks like a Sherman on steroids.

I've grown rather fond of the Stuart after being on the receiving and dealing end of it's quite AT potent 37mm gun (at least when under 1000m)! Was this little tank's 'peashooter' that effective in real-life?

[ January 03, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Patrick Moore ]

I don't think I ever killed a Panther or Tiger with a frontal shot from a Stuart. Several flank kills on Panthers, however and a couple of frontal kills on PzIVs that I recall. Certainly the Stuart's 37 seems more effective than the Russian 45mm, which may reflect more effective AP rounds.

Does anyone know how accurate that Stuart 37mm modeling is? I recall there was great debate at one point about both the Sherman 75 and the Churchill VIII's 95mm and folks finally had to concede that the modeling was accurate.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I don't think I ever killed a Panther or Tiger with a frontal shot from a Stuart. Several flank kills on Panthers, however and a couple of frontal kills on PzIVs that I recall. Certainly the Stuart's 37 seems more effective than the Russian 45mm, which may reflect more effective AP rounds.

Does anyone know how accurate that Stuart 37mm modeling is? I recall there was great debate at one point about both the Sherman 75 and the Churchill VIII's 95mm and folks finally had to concede that the modeling was accurate.

I believe the CMBO stats show that the Stuart 37mm can penetrate the PzIV front turret armor (and hull?) out to 1000m. I recall looking that up when I was stunned by losing several PzIVs to a veteran Stuart crew...but I will doublecheck the game stats...

(pardon my ignorance but is there a website that has this data posted?)

[ January 03, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Patrick Moore ]

CombinedArms wrote:

I don't think I ever killed a Panther or Tiger with a frontal shot from a Stuart.

--------------------------------------------------

You lucky bastard! Happens to me every time I play the Germans and have a Tiger I. Played last night and lost a Tiger frontally. The old hideous, "Frontal Penetration at Weak Point" pops up and I'm suddenly changing my battle plans for the next 15 turns. I can certainly understand why so many players selected the Stuart as their tank of choice because it really does pack quite a punch for the point value.