Favourite vehicle

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Does anyone know how accurate that Stuart 37mm modeling is? I recall there was great debate at one point about both the Sherman 75 and the Churchill VIII's 95mm and folks finally had to concede that the modeling was accurate.

Stuart is SO frckn effective in CMBO, since partial penetrations are NOT modeled. So non-lethal small-caliber penetrations wind up KO'ing tanks in CMBO; OTOH lend-lease Stuarts in CMBB should less lethal against heavy armor... except maybe for the 1 in 100 weak pt. hit.

Favorite US tank: Stuart. 3 MGs and a boatload of 37mm and it really pisses off my opponent when (rare instances) he loses something better to one.

Favorite German tank: StuG III. When I first started playing I thought I'd be a big fan of the more exotic cats. Then I found the game to be more challenging using plain vanilla troops and armor so I gravitated toward the PzIVs and StuGs. In the many games played, I've yet to choose the Panther, any of the Tigers and only once the PzIV/70.

Here is a copy of what I wrote in another thread about Stuarts against Tigers:

%%

"Weak point penetration" happens with a probablity of 1% and reduces the armor by 30-50%.

If the vehicle has a shot trap then the probablity is higher. Steve once said itis 10%, my own tests imply more like 3-5%. The difference may be that it is 10% of all turret hits which would translate to about 3-4% of all front hits.

Armor quality has nothing to do with it, it only reduces the thickness of the plate.

Now, so much is fine and the Tiger does not have a shot trap. However, the following items make the Tiger zu vulnerable to Stuart fire:

- the Stuart has a very high ROF and much ammo. If you have several Stuarts in LOS you get to 100 hits soon and there you have it

- the hit probablity of moving shooter against standing target is broken in CMBO. The moving shooter, even if fast, has a very high hit probablity. The standing shooter shooting at the moving target seems to have correct, that means lower but not very low hit probably on a mving target

- the slow turet of the Tiger, no cover arc command and the slow ROF make it difficult to hit a Stuarts, especially when they pop in and out of LOS (like racing behind a bunch of houses)

So what happens here is that a Stuart, or several Stuarts, run around the battlefield like crazy, cannot be hit but hit themself very often, while going their high speed in difficult ground. Very soon you reach enough hits on the Tiger to statistically approch the 1% chance.

And that is even without the Stuart player being excessivly gamey. It is not gamey to run these Stuarts around with shoot-and-shoot tactics. If the Stuart player wants to get gamey he runs circles around the Tiger at 30 meter distance :D

It is small bugs and slightly off judgement for chosen parameters which can turn one aspect of a game into a joke.

lately i really like the hetzer and nashorn used together - hetzer has great low profile, the nashorn has a great gun and is pretty cheap - actually they're both relatively inexpensive for what you get

but i also really like the jagdpanther and churchill viii - i've had both of these take hits from everywhere and shrug them off

Spoiler for All or Nothing

hehe, had to mention also that in All or Nothing I had a Churchill viii take repeated hits from AT guns and every tank in the village including the tiger shooting across the river at it repeatedly - the churchill shrugged them off and took out both the AT gun on the hill and the tiger (ok, well it took out it's gun, which was just as effective)