A newbie with questions

Hi all. Loving this game that I just bought. A few questions.

Is there an independent LoS tool? By that I mean not based on a unit. I'd like to be able to click on an unoccupied spot on the map and test LoS from that location before sending a unit there. I seem to recall CMBB having one, but it's been 8+ years since I played that game so I may remember incorrectly.

If I split off a scout team and send it toward the enemy, I'm guessing that hunt is the best order to keep it from moving into a discovered enemy position? How should I keep it from firing at an enemy that it finds? A covered arc that doesn't reach that far? I suppose that by the time it moves far enough to discover an enemy position that the arc will be behind its current location anyhow.

Is there a way to save certain camera views? Ie. if I want to watch a situation developing in a town square, and another situation in a field next to the town, I'd like to be able switch between the two views with a key press, rather than having to repeatedly navigate the camera between them. I've looked at the hot key lists several times and see no indication that this is possible. Hitting 1-9 just moves me to different view distances.

Weren't flamethrowers used in the Normandy campaign? Anyone know why they aren't modeled in this game?

Anyone have an idea when a Russian front version will be be released?

I know I had more questions but that's all I can recall for now. I need to play some more to remember the rest. Hey, I think that's what I'll do now!

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi all.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Is there an independent LoS tool?

Nope. The reasons for this given by BFC are pretty cogent given 1:1 modeling.

If I split off a scout team and send it toward the enemy, I'm guessing that hunt is the best order to keep it from moving into a discovered enemy position?

Not necessarily. Quick but short moves, preferably from cover to cover, with pauses in between are the order of the day. The pauses are to allow them to spend some time observing. Sometimes it takes them a while to notice something important.

How should I keep it from firing at an enemy that it finds? A covered arc that doesn't reach that far?

I like a 360° covered arc for this. One of 50 meters radius will keep them from firing precipitately. If something turns up while they are observing, and you want them to fire at it, you can remove the CA.

Is there a way to save certain camera views?

Not that I am aware of.

Weren't flamethrowers used in the Normandy campaign?

Yes, but mainly from vehicles.

Anyone know why they aren't modeled in this game?

BFC has stated that the programming and testing time required to get this to work right was considered better spent in other areas. It is strongly hinted that it will make its way into the game eventually.

Anyone have an idea when a Russian front version will be be released?

Probably not for a couple of years at least.

Good hunting and I hope this has helped.

Michael

I'd like to be able to click on an unoccupied spot on the map and test LoS from that location before sending a unit there.

Note that you actually can do this by plotting a waypoint onto a location, selecting the waypoint, and then trying to plot a TARGET order from the waypoint -- you can delete the waypoint once you're done checking with the target line, if you want to.

Don't rely on this too much, though. This it will only give you a general idea of the LOS from that waypoint. Since things like unit size and height (both for spotter and spotted) are specifically modeled in CMBN, who can actually see what varies considerably with unit and stance -- for example, a standing infantryman can potentially see a lot more from a given point than a prone one.

The information you get from the TARGET tool this way usually gives a very conservative estimate of LOS/LOF -- for example, if the TARGET line shows no LOS from one location to another, you can be pretty confident that this means a unit on one end of the line won't be able to see a prone enemy infantryman on the other end of the line. But the unit *might* be able to see a taller unit, like tank, or even an enemy infantryman who is on his feet, walking or running.

Also, Ubercat, don't be thrown by the fact that the blue target line will emenate from the unit's position, not from the selected waypoint. But it's calculated from the waypoint.

This one threw me for a loop at first with CMSF. It's a bit of an acquired skill to draw that invisible line and reference it to another line coming across the screen perpendicularly :D

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, but mainly from vehicles. BFC has stated that the programming and testing time required to get this to work right was considered better spent in other areas. It is strongly hinted that it will make its way into the game eventually.

Michael

It's still funny:D. There aren't flame's because there weren't in the SF:P.

Note that you actually can do this by plotting a waypoint onto a location, selecting the waypoint, and then trying to plot a TARGET order from the waypoint -- you can delete the waypoint once you're done checking with the target line, if you want to.

Also note that the way it is displayed is confusing because the TARGET line will originiate from the UNIT itself, and not the waypoint you select to check LOS, but the LOS is in fact being measured from the waypoint.

It's pathetic, actually.

Dude! Are you for serious!?!? You really hang out on their game forum to say its pathetic that they don't have flamethrowers? You are pathetic. Where is your flamethrower btw?\

And why do all these people hang out here so they can keep chiming in that whatever topic that came up is how it is because it was like that in SF?

Dude! Are you for serious!?!? You really hang out on their game forum to say its pathetic that they don't have flamethrowers? You are pathetic. Where is your flamethrower btw?\

And why do all these people hang out here so they can keep chiming in that whatever topic that came up is how it is because it was like that in SF?

Because some things were like that in SF?

Is there a way to save certain camera views? Ie. if I want to watch a situation developing in a town square, and another situation in a field next to the town, I'd like to be able switch between the two views with a key press, rather than having to repeatedly navigate the camera between them. I've looked at the hot key lists several times and see no indication that this is possible. Hitting 1-9 just moves me to different view distances.

If I understand your question correctly, you should be able to select the icon of the unit you want to view and hit the <tab> key this will quickly move your view into position behind that unit. I use this to move long distances across the map

Sburke but actually he is right :P . I'm sometimes wondering if BF was planning return to WWII? Maybe they want to create next modern game? Dunno.

That's an apt name you've got their skogTROLL. Something about not feeding the trolls... (goes off to try to learn his own lessons)

Sburke but actually he is right :P . I'm sometimes wondering if BF was planning return to WWII? Maybe they want to create next modern game? Dunno.

Right about what? They came up with a new engine. That engine makes recreating some things inherently more difficult. BFC has made a decision (regardless of the era of a game) that they will continue to produce games while working on adding complexity. In CMSF armored vehicles can't drive through a wall. CMBN allows this...soooooo get over whether it was in CMSF or not. If it isn't in CMBN it has nothing to do with whether it was in CMSF, it has to do with - Do you want to be able to play the game with what they can complete right now or wait till every single thing that bugs anybody can be reproduced? If not then don't play the dang thing.

We don't have dozer tanks, we don't have flail tanks, we don't have mine roller tanks,we don't have AA guns in a ground role and on and on and on and we may never have them.

What we do have is a damn good game that allows me to play a whole range of combat that occurred in Normandy and do it pretty darn well.

If these guys had a big enough outfit they would try to do all that we want and more, but they are a just a couple people. It's about time folks started with some realistic expectations of what is possible. Stop whining you didn't get a pony for Christmas, we don't own a farm. I am under the impression that most of the people who play this game are adults, isn't about time we started looking at this with an adult's perspective as opposed to ranting I want it! I want it! I want it! and then making snide ass comments about the product as if somehow we could have done it better.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you think you can do better, then go ahead and do it. Constructive feedback on desired features and behavior is fine, but griping like BFC has somehow gotten it all wrong by leaving out (insert preferred item here) is just getting really old.

end of rant

it beats coming to a party with a case of quart bottles of...grape ale.

I actually had someone show up one night all excited because he'd scored so much beer (yes we were underage) with a case of Cool Mule Grape Ale. Even under age we weren't that desperate. He left with the whole case and out of pocket for it.