Question on ammo sharing

I sent a mortar platoon leader in to a truck and acquired 30 rounds of HE for the mortars.

I ran the HQ back to within a few meters of two mortars who have only smoke rounds left.

It's been two minutes and the HQ still has the HE rounds.

Is there a way to give the HE rounds to the mortars, either one or share them with both?

Not directly, no; the HQ unit will keep the mortar shells in their ammo account and there is no way to fully transfer them to the mortar team.

However, the mortar teams can use the mortar shells as long as the HQ stays close to them (within 2 action spots IIRC) -- they will be deducted off of the HQ's ammo supply one at at time, as the mortar team fires them.

If you look to the right of the UI, if the HQ is close enough to the mortar(s) to share ammo in this way, the mortar shells should show up in the mortar's total ammo available count (note that this is different from the ammo actually carried by the unit, which displays to the left side of the UI).

In my opinion this has always been a fail way to share ammo and I wish they would have programmed it correctly from the start. The way it is now, for example, your ammo bearers for MG's have to stay with the team they are sharing ammo with instead of dropping it off with the MG team and running off to get more. They have to stay with them until the ammo is out and then make a run for ammo AND LEAVE THE MG TEAM WITH NO AMMO WHILE THEY MAKE THEIR AMMO RUN. Who approves this stuff anyway?

I sent a mortar platoon leader in to a truck and acquired 30 rounds of HE for the mortars.

I ran the HQ back to within a few meters of two mortars who have only smoke rounds left.

It's been two minutes and the HQ still has the HE rounds.

Is there a way to give the HE rounds to the mortars, either one or share them with both?

Ammo sharing happens amongst units immediately subordinate to a flagged HQ. If there are section HQs in between the mortar platoon HQ and mortar teams, then ammo sharing is going to happen at the section level rather than the platoon level. The section HQ and its subordinate mortar teams and ammo bearers should all be able to share acquired ammo.

The best way to avoid unpleasantness in this area is to "ammo up" at vehicles/bunkers(if available) before the battle starts.

Give the firing unit all the ammo they can carry. Give the bearers all the ammo they can carry.

I have started placing ammo trucks in the rear areas of my scenarios, so reinforcements can stop and ammo up as they enter.

Take two turns and send the mortar teams up waddling with all the rounds they can get off the truck.

The only real issue I have is the order in which ammo is used by support weapons. I would rather the bearer ammo is used up first, which would allow the firing unit to be effective while the bearers go find something to bear.

I'm guessing the same would hold true for zook/piat/schreck rounds? On more than one occasion I've run a remaining team member over to another team because it shows he's carrying more AT rounds (but no AT weapon) . . . hoping he'd share these rounds with the team that needs 'em. Hasn't happened. I've also run him back to a vehicle which is carrying many rounds, to act as a courier . . . nothing happens there either.

Am I doing something wrong with the resupply vehicles? I'm obviously misunderstanding the concept somehow.

I have seen MG ammo passed around among a squad, but never AT rounds.

I'm guessing the same would hold true for zook/piat/schreck rounds? On more than one occasion I've run a remaining team member over to another team because it shows he's carrying more AT rounds (but no AT weapon) . . . hoping he'd share these rounds with the team that needs 'em. Hasn't happened. I've also run him back to a vehicle which is carrying many rounds, to act as a courier . . . nothing happens there either.

Am I doing something wrong with the resupply vehicles? I'm obviously misunderstanding the concept somehow.

I have seen MG ammo passed around among a squad, but never AT rounds.

"Specials" like AT Rockets can be shared by adjacent units just like any other type of ammo. However, remember that *all* ammo sharing is contingent on the units being part of the same immediate parent formation -- typically, the same platoon.

So 2 units from different platoons cannot share ammo, ever.