Buttoning down tanks

Apologies if this has been gone over before, - I can't find it by searching.

I'm new to CM2 and am just starting the Scottish campaign. My Churchill commanders are getting killed by snipers before they can do much of anything. The manual explains how you can unbutton hatches to see more, but says that the commander will automatically button down if he thinks it's too dangerous.

Is there a way of manually buttoning down? :confused: I can't believ the commander has to get shot before they close the hatches.

Yeah, it's the "open up" command. If the button is lit up and the hotkey is not visible in the corner then the vehicle is already opened up and pressing it will button them. Logically you would think the command name would change in the UI depending on what using it will do, but it doesn't.

Once commanded to, um, NOT "open up" (see Vanir Ausf B's post, above), the commander will not open his hatch. The logic is that you want him buttoned up, so he'll stay that way. The opposite, ordering "open up", has logic which will allow the game to button him if the game's AI determines that's what he should do. (It is biased to accept a bit of incoming fire, since a lot of tank commanders are expected to fight with their head up.)

Yeah they seem exposed.

I've always wondered why CMBN dosn't allow driver hatches open - was that unusual in a combat situation?

In an M4 Sherman... yes ... :D

It was SOP for driver and co-driver (bow gunner) hatches to be closed if turret was running free and particularly with PT motor unlocked and running.

A good way to accidentally lose one's head .... ;)

Regards,

Doug

Anyone noticed that Churchill commanders suffer a far higher attrition rate than other tank types? I have. I tend to have to button them manually from the off which I never did with shermans

I am starting to think with the latest patch, any tank commander is at a higher risk to small arms fire. I have a feeling they (BF) did some adjusting, because in general I am seeing more exposed commanders going down to fire, thus maybe one way to improve the uber tank spotting abilities they have.

But I have not tested the game to see if there is a change, but I have made more of a effort to button up for now, the game is more dangerous and at some point I might run the test to see just how much more.

You may well be right, I've only used churchills since getting CW and the commander always seems to go down after a single burst or rifle shot. Rather annoying considering a whole platoon of mine seems to need about 300 rounds to drop a running hun 20 yards away.

"The Vickers Tank Periscope MK.IV, invented by Polish engineer Rudolf Gundlach, was first patented in 1936 as Gundlach Peryskop obrotowy. It was the first device to allow the tank commander to have a 360-degree view from his turret, with a single periscope. By rotating the periscope and allowing the tank commander to look backwards through the second eyepiece, he no longer had to change position to look behind the turret. Early tanks had small turrets and fixed seating, without an independently rotating cupola, and so the commander wasn't easily able to move himself to another rear-facing periscope.

The design was first used in the Polish 7-TP light tank. Shortly before the war it was given to the British and was used in most tanks of WWII, including the British Crusader, Churchill, Valentine, and Cromwell and the American Sherman. The design was later copied and used extensively in tanks of the USSR (including the T-34 and T-70) and Germany.

It was first implemented in TKS and 7TP Polish tanks. As a part of Polish-British pre-war military cooperation, the patent was sold to Vickers-Armstrong. It was produced as the Vickers Tank Periscope MK.IV (pictured), and built into all British tanks (Crusader, Churchill, Valentine, Cromwell). After the fall of Poland, Germany, USSR and Romania captured some equipment, allowing them to copy the invention. In USSR the Gundlach periscope was known as MK-4 (harking to the British designation, as Russian sources openly confirm that it was copied from samples acquired with British-supplied tanks) and implemented in all tanks (including the T-34 and T-70). All Axis tanks and APC (including tanks of Italy, Romania, Hungary, Finland and Japan) were equipped or retro-fitted with this periscope till 1941. Later technology was transferred to USA and as a periscope M6 implemented in all US tanks (M3/M5 Stuart, M4 Sherman and others). AT the end of WWII this technology was adopted throughout the world."

Anyone noticed that Churchill commanders suffer a far higher attrition rate than other tank types? I have. I tend to have to button them manually from the off which I never did with shermans

I believe in general British tank commanders in CW appear to have a much higher casualty rate than I have previously experienced in CMBN.