Patch update?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching my 75mm shells bounce off one of those damn Jpz IVs until the sun went down - one tough mother!

In my case neither of those Shermans knew what hit them until..well it hit them. The first apparently never got the opportunity to communicate it via radio net so the 2nd stayed broadside to it. First shot immobilized it and only then did it attempt to locate the JPz - too late. It was at that moment that I really fell for this game. CMx1 would never have allowed that.

In U.S. tests at Isigny, 17 pdr accuracy was terrible, and penetration suffered.

IIRC, that was using a bad batch of ammo that should never have been accepted from the manufacturer.

It'd be a bit like basing penetration of US tank guns on the results seen in Tunisia ... when they were using training ammo.

^^^^

Agreed. On the WWIIOL forum there was a very knowledgeable member who contributed recently declassified WWII data (usually because he pushed for their declassification though the bureaucracy) who worked at the US archives. He was very knowledgable on the aspects of HE shells and fragmentation. According to what he has read from various sources, British APDS was not inherently inaccurate, the problem was the British contracted APDS to many companies and some frankly made poor APDS. The big initial issue was petals failing to separate at the same time, which threw off the accuracy of the round. Or issues with the muzzle break which had to be modified a bit. These problems were fixed later and the round itself was quite accurate. The biggest issue, was really the lack of markings on gun sights for APDS ammo.

IIRC, that was using a bad batch of ammo that should never have been accepted from the manufacturer.

It'd be a bit like basing penetration of US tank guns on the results seen in Tunisia ... when they were using training ammo.

Separate British tests referenced in UK War Office WO 291/1263 and WO 165/135 show the same issue, so it would not be correct to pin this on a single batch of bad ammo.

I see people here citing and discussing many interesting reports / tests / data in subject, seem that there is much more interesting test/report data available now, than some years ago, when I was more interested in the armor penetration subject. Do you know maybe some interesting reports about behind-the-armor effects of AP and AP-HE projectiles ?

These problems were fixed later and the round itself was quite accurate.

Now much later? IIRC the issues were not corrected until years after the war ended, and that this was the primary reason US and Soviet armies did not begin to transition to discarding sabot ammo until the late '50s to early '60s.

The biggest issue, was really the lack of markings on gun sights for APDS ammo.

True. APDS had a much flatter trajectory, which often led gunners to aim high.

I've installed the 1.10 patch on my iMac. When I select either a US or a German unit, there is now strange text in the unit panel. Where before the unit would be a "Tiger", now the panel says "1 Sniper HQ Spy Forward Observer (M9A1)". The 2 green chain of command lights are labeled "4 FIST" and "2 BRDM-2 (AT-5)". The 5 crew weapons have the correct pictures but read "Fishbed", "JFS Coordination", "M1132", "G43", and <no text>.

I don't own CMSF, but these text strings seem appropriate for that game. I recall reading something about a text string file I might need to install, but I can't find it. Is there a simple fix for my problem?

YES! I had the exact same thing. I have not put CMSF on this computer either. Very strange. I had 40mm grenade text on my screen and the graphic bugs you are talkng about.

I fixed it by redownloading the patch from a different site (<---probably not really needed but you never know) and deleting CMBN from my computer totally and reinstalling fresh. Then install patch (1.0 to 1.10). This fixed it and all is well.

Good luck!

YES! I had the exact same thing. I have not put CMSF on this computer either. Very strange. I had 40mm grenade text on my screen and the graphic bugs you are talkng about.

I fixed it by redownloading the patch from a different site (<---probably not really needed but you never know) and deleting CMBN from my computer totally and reinstalling fresh. Then install patch (1.0 to 1.10). This fixed it and all is well.

I reinstalled CM:BN from my DVD and then tried your solution using the patch I had downloaded earlier. The problem's still there. I'll download the patch from another site and try again.

I reinstalled CMBN from my DVD and downloaded the v1.10 patch from another site. The incorrect text is still there. I suspect there's a file of text strings with each unit having pointers into that file telling which text strings to extract and display. Instead of getting the CMBN file, the patch from both download sites has given me a copy of the CMSF file.

I can still play, but I'd like to have the correct file of text strings.

By the way, the site's advertised wait time of four minutes before the download begins is way off. I waited more than twenty minutes before the download started, and the estimated one minute download time was also off by a factor of four. That's why it took about an hour to install the patch.

@CM1fan:

Do you have any mods installed? I haven't experienced it myself, but IIRC there's a known compatibility issue with certain mods that causes the issue you describe.

There's probably a thread about it around here somewhere... or, assuming you do have mods installed, try removing them and reverting to the stock graphics/sounds, and see if this fixes your issue.

@CM1fan:

Do you have any mods installed? I haven't experienced it myself, but IIRC there's a known compatibility issue with certain mods that causes the issue you describe.

There's probably a thread about it around here somewhere... or, assuming you do have mods installed, try removing them and reverting to the stock graphics/sounds, and see if this fixes your issue.

How can I tell which items in the Data folder are installed mods? I asked Battlefront that question, and they replied "Remove any folders from within the Data folder." Here's what I plan to tell them.

<<< There's only one folder in the data folder, and that's the Z folder. After I remove the Z folder, my iMac freezes when I start CMBN. My iMac also freezes when I place an empty Z folder in the Data folder. If I remove all the folders within the Z folder, my iMac no longer freezes when when I start CMBN. CMBN runs, but I still get the CMSF text in every unit panel.

My conclusions: 1. Some files must be in the Z folder. 2. Some files in the Z folder must be mods.

So I must now ask a slightly different question. How can I tell which files in the Z folder are mods? >>>

The text is taken from the strings.txt file from the latest .brz file in your Data folder. If you are getting problems with text, then you still have mods installed. Another problem that may occur is if you install an incorrect patch (effectively downgrading your game).

The text is taken from the strings.txt file from the latest .brz file in your Data folder. If you are getting problems with text, then you still have mods installed. Another problem that may occur is if you install an incorrect patch (effectively downgrading your game).

I've reinstalled CMBN onto my iMac from my DVD. There's no Z folder now in my Data folder, a condition which caused CMBN to immediately freeze on previous attempts. Now it's not freezing, although I do particularly miss some of the mods to the UI. I've also reinstalled the v1.10 patch.

I'm playing the Last Defense scenario by email. When I viewed from a high vantage point the result of the latest turn in my incoming email folder, I was surprised to hear a continuous loud roar through the entire turn. It sounded to me like an airplane flying over the battlefield. There are no aircraft in the Last Defense scenario, so what could be causing that sound? I certainly never heard it during previous turns.

Another minor question: What is the CMSF.icns file for? It was part of the installation from my DVD.