Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Some thoughts about the Churchill

Churchill was designed as an infantry tank, so it was meant to support advancing infantry against enemy trench lines and bunkers and withstand defensive artillery and anti-tank guns. Competence against enemy tanks was a secondary thought. The early models had a 2 pdr in the turret and a 3" howitzer in the hull, similar to Char B1 and M3 Lee. I guess the 2 pdr gave it an adequate defence against AFVs. Note that it was typical for the time of the introduction of Churchill I (1941): German tanks were still mostly armed with 37 or short 50mm guns. IIRC the 2 pdr gun didn't have a HE shell at the time, so the HE-chugging howitzer and AP-only turret gun supplemented each other.

The OQF 6 pounder came after the original Churchill I, so it couldn't have been used from the get-go, but it was quickly equipped. The high velocity 57mm gun had a good penetration potential, though the HE capability leaves a lot to desire compared to the 75mm OQF equipped models.

As for 17 pdr there was a shortage of them anyway (they had only entered service in 1943), the anti-tank units (towed and Achilles) and tank units (Sherman Firefly) taking precedence.

As Sergei said, the British did not start putting 17 pounders on tanks until 1943. But they did design a 17 pdr version of the Churchhill called the Black Prince. The problem was that it turned out to be much more difficult to fit the 17 pdr cannon on the Churchhill than it was the Sherman. The Churchill's turret was too narrow. Widening the turret ring to accommodate the larger turret necessitated widening the hull, all of which added about 10 tons to the tank which was already underpowered. Only 6 prototypes were built and they never saw action.

OK. A friend of mine mentioned something about the ability to cross trenches, and thats why it was built so long. So an infantry support roll only then. A bullet and grenade sponge...well it will be interessting to se what it can do in the CW expansion. Thanks.

Actually the Churchills showed an incredible ability to climb steep inclines, even though they were slow. Heavy armour and an under-powered engine made sure they would not leave the infantry behind, and as Sergei says, when designed they were mainly facing 50mm armed tanks and Pak guns. At Aqqaqir one Kingforce Churchill shrugged of 31 50mm hits, but idler/track damage, a dented main gun and smashed MG mount caused it to stop fighting. Of course, as 5th Guards found out the later German guns were a different proposition.

I recall one anecdote about an advancing Churchill getting hit and the crew panicking & bailing. To their great surprise the Churchill continued forward on its own! Ashamed of having abandoned their vehicle the driver elected to scamper across open ground, braving enemy fire, climb back into the moving tank and return it to its owners. That must've been one slooooow-moving tank! :)

Will the Churchill enjoy bocage busting capabilities in CW? Or is it mythical, bases on hearsay? If that second illustration isn't an exaggeration it did, while exposing its belly in a frightful way.

I can believe the Churchill could clamber over certain bocage lines as illustrated (in fact, I'm sure that painting is intended to illustrate a specific incident. However, unless battlefront are going to code the Churchill's actually climbing the bank and exposing their bellies (as opposed to just smashing through the bocage the way that Rhino's do) then I don't think that Churchill's should be able to bust bocage as it would give them a tactical edge without the attendant disadvantage of increased vulnerability during the maneouver.

As Sergei said, the British did not start putting 17 pounders on tanks until 1943. But they did design a 17 pdr version of the Churchhill called the Black Prince. The problem was that it turned out to be much more difficult to fit the 17 pdr cannon on the Churchhill than it was the Sherman. The Churchill's turret was too narrow. Widening the turret ring to accommodate the larger turret necessitated widening the hull, all of which added about 10 tons to the tank which was already underpowered. Only 6 prototypes were built and they never saw action.

The main concern, at least pre-war, was rail transport. The gauge of track, the tunnel widths, etc., all limited the total tank width allowed, or approved, to be designed and constructed.

As noted, turret ring diameter drives hull width. Gun recoil energy/breech design/etc., determine ring diameter.

IIRC, the Churchills had to have their hull sponsons removed prior to rail transport. A royal PITA, to be sure. Increasing the hull width was not a player...

Once the 17 pounder proved itself in action, there wasn't much life left in the reich. Introducing a new tank wasn't worthwhile, especially with all the 17 pounder-armed tanks roving about already.

So, about the time that they could lift the rail travel width restrictions, there wasn't a pressing need to divert resources into it.

Especially as the superb 17 pounder equipped A41 Centurion would have been available at the time when the Black Prince became available in useable numbers (May 45) No contest really, shame the Centurion never saw action, it would have claimed the prize of 'best' tank of WWII, given its cross-country mobility, protection and firepower.

The Osprey book (Vanguard 12) mentions Churchill regiments had SPAA vehicles attached, but due to the lack of enemy aircraft they were used in the ground support role. Wonder if they might appear in an odds and sods module?

I can believe the Churchill could clamber over certain bocage lines as illustrated (in fact, I'm sure that painting is intended to illustrate a specific incident. However, unless battlefront are going to code the Churchill's actually climbing the bank and exposing their bellies (as opposed to just smashing through the bocage the way that Rhino's do) then I don't think that Churchill's should be able to bust bocage as it would give them a tactical edge without the attendant disadvantage of increased vulnerability during the maneouver.

Pretty sure I saw a Stuart ("Honey" in this case, I suppose) crossing low bocage in one of the videos. Either that or it was an artificial embankment.

Pretty sure I saw a Stuart ("Honey" in this case, I suppose) crossing low bocage in one of the videos. Either that or it was an artificial embankment.

Actually, it was a bocage embankment which appeared to have been breached by satchel charges (you could refer to the tank as either a Stuart or a Honey as both were British designations-Stuart being the official and Honey the unofficial names for the tank-in American service the designation was Light Tank). Just checked and actually 'Rhinos' only cut through the upper part of the bocage and roll over the embankment rather than cutting straight through the embankment as I'd thought. Maybe Churchills should be able to bust through bocage (?).

Maybe Churchills should be able to bust through bocage (?).

I dunno. There doesn't seem much in the way of confirmation or non-confirmation of the Churchill's bocage busting prowess on the net, or in WW2 books I've read. Mostly that famous illustration. A compromise might be allowing the tank to traverse Low Bocage with accrued damage and immobilization risk.

From Wikipedia:

It is important to note that, despite its weaknesses, the Churchill had a significant advantage that was apparent throughout its career. Due to its multiple bogie suspension, it could cross terrain obstacles that most other tanks of its era could not. This feat served well, especially during the fighting in Normandy particularly the capture of Hill 309 between the 30 and 31 July 1944 in operation Bluecoat conducted by VIII Corps.

Ahh the subject of hedges and their thickness... A subject which is close to my heart and do check out the threads....

BTW the Churchill could and did cross Bocage and the painting is a famous example of that, also mentioned in previous threads.

Pity it is coded the way it is but it would seem that is the way it will stay. Not sure if they will give the Churchill the ability to break through Bocage, next week we shall see...

I've been looking too and I can't find anything to give a really good indication of the Churchill's bocage crossing capabilities. I like your compromise solution though.

Try looking for stuff on the 6th Guards Tank Brigade and Operation Bluecoat. The unit ended up crossing terrain the Germans thought impassable, including bocage I think.

Also during the Rhineland Campaign in 1945 the Churchill's of one unit pushed through a waterlogged forest to emerge behind the German front line. The German commander famously remarked he didn't think it was fair for a tank to cross impassable terrain and emerge behind him.

No slower than the King Tiger, when going cross country.

Unlike KT, Churchill was actually geared to travel at walking pace. I believe I read somewhere the driver could set the clutch and let the machine slowly trundle forward without depressing the accelerator. That probably has a lot to do with its legendary hill climbing abilties. it was geared more like a farm tractor than a racecar.

Will do, thanks. I've just had a flick through the CW manual to see if it will give any clues to how/if the Churchill's 'go places other tanks don't go' ability is represented in game. I've noticed the manual shows the Churchills with 3 bars for cross country ability which is the same as just about every other tank. Interestingly, the Bedford trucks have 5 bars. That makes me feel a bit uneasy.