Urban warfare

Do they? I must try this! I don't really understand the action spot technology but why can't somebody make a map with the action spots on the corners of buildings rather than either in the middle of the wall or in the middle of the road?

Oh sorry I was not clear. Troops do *not* do this now. What I wrote was my suggestion to Battle Front.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 to allowing AT in buildings. So many other things in the game are abstracted, why not put a timer on it and say that's the time it takes to open the windows/doors and maybe knock a hole in a wall.

Tanks can fire their guns at 80° angles, is it that much of a leap to let infantry have a small chance at survival?

As some others have said, I don't think this is a question of backblast weapons being allowed to fire in buildings (they shouldn't be allowed to). It is a question of map design. Current maps do not reflect the amount of cover and concealment in urban terrain. Just as importantly, they tend to give vehicles lots of maneuver room.

Map design is an issue. No shooting around corners is an issue. Spotting is an issue. But to say that not allowing AT rockets to fire from inside of buildings isn't an issue is not true. At least some AT weapons should be allowed to. BFC has said in the past that the current blanket prohibition against it is just a stop-gap measure and not intended to be realistic.

I would like to place ATG inside a building.. I have tried to demolish building and then stick them over where my ATG was... it works sorta fine until the map is reloaded then kicks my gun out of the building and places it nearby. Tried this with buring vehicles as well.. no real solution... anyone tried this as well.

Map design is an issue. No shooting around corners is an issue. Spotting is an issue. But to say that not allowing AT rockets to fire from inside of buildings isn't an issue is not true. At least some AT weapons should be allowed to. BFC has said in the past that the current blanket prohibition against it is just a stop-gap measure and not intended to be realistic.

I was super-sleepy when I typed that. I meant to say, that it should not be allowed unless it can be justified as being historically accurate. My recollection of BF's earlier posts on this is that it was so rare as to be unjustified to include it. So, what I'm saying is that I don't want one unrealistic element to be introduced to solve another.

I'm primarily an infantry guy, and would love to have the ability for soldiers to peek around corners, etc. But to be honest, that sounds like a CMx3 feature. I think the likely solution for CMx2 is a serious reduction (but only to realistic levels) in the ability of tanks to spot infantry and better map design.

IIRC, it was not that uncommon for defenders with enough prep time to put adequately small AT guns inside buildings. If so, I'm all in favor of that.

I can't remember, are PIATs going to be allowed to fire from buildings? I don't know how Market Garden will be able to satisfy accuracy requirements without solving some of the current urban combat issues.

Anyhoo, I'll keep working on my test map. May take awhile...

(Oh, and that was an Aris texture mod, BTW.)

I had to do everything quite quickly, but I threw together a city street and sent a Veteran Panther with High Motivation down it. The Amis were a "Typical" assortment. -Quite a lot of 'em and on both sides of the street. This was just a first run, but it's fun to watch, so I thought I'd post it. It's my first time on YouTube! I uploaded it as HD, but it seems to have been down-sampled. Anyhoo, I gotta' log for the day, but here-'tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUUG5mf5ENE

Enjoy!

I had to do everything quite quickly, but I threw together a city street and sent a Veteran Panther with High Motivation down it. The Amis were a "Typical" assortment. -Quite a lot of 'em and on both sides of the street. This was just a first run, but it's fun to watch, so I thought I'd post it. It's my first time on YouTube! I uploaded it as HD, but it seems to have been down-sampled. Anyhoo, I gotta' log for the day, but here-'tis:

Enjoy!

It would be interesting to see how much infantry the panther could spot, seeing as you always hear stories about infantry being too easily spotted.

It would be interesting to see how much infantry the panther could spot, seeing as you always hear stories about infantry being too easily spotted.

In my experience, infantry in houses are totally invisible to tanks if hiding, and rarely spotted at all unless they fire their weapons. The spotting issues are usually more in the bocage. Also, in smoke tanks seem to be able to spot better than infantry.

I can think of one specific example where two enemy tanks popped smoke in "Carbide Carbide" at the central intersection. There are craters and low walls and ruins everywhere, covered in two tanks worth of smoke, so I send in two shrek teams (in flanking positions, with some cover). Both teams were spotted and killed before they ever saw the tanks.

Enjoy!

Who's grass mod are you using? :)

Seriously, nice illustration. Be good to see again with bazookas as well (or are those bazookas hitting the rear as it drives?

I'm using the most recent versions of Aris's texture mods, along with a ton of other mods that I like.

I've attached a pic of the Amis setup (I haven't had time to set up a private space to host larger linked images yet. Will do soon.)

Oh, forgot--the Panther was a +2, but then, the commander bought it right away, so I guess that didn't matter much.

Again, this was not the kind of test I intend to do, as it was very weighted to the Amis side. I just thought the video was cool.

For real testing, I'll put a smaller number of units in play and probably use WG (this was RT, which I usually use).

The file will be set up so that a new tank comes along every few minutes. Panther, then Tiger, then PIV, then StugIII. -All +2 Veteran with High Motivation. The Amis are a Typical grab bag.

Once the test feels right, I'll make it available to folks to mess around with themselves.

Macisle

post-1845-141867623636_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
The PIAT projectile, like the Panzerfaust. was propelled by an explosive charge. However, PIAT was not recoilless and did not have back blast. They can be fired indoors in CMBN.

Yes, the Piat can be fired indoors ... :eek:

Scared the daylights out of one of my Panther crews ... :P

Regards,

Doug