Google Earth is your friend

StoneAge

Google Earth

Ctrl + Alt + T Hide/Show Toolbar.

F11 Full screen mode - Toggles between full screen and window view for the Google Earth application.

Ctrl + S Save Image - Saves the current view as an image to your computer.

Ctrl + L Lat/Lon grid - Produces a latitude and longitude grid over the surface of the earth in the 3D viewer.

Ctrl + Shft + O New image overlay - Produces the New Image Overlay dialog box.

n Reset view to north - up - Rotates view so that view is north-up.

u Reset tilt to top-down view - Resets angle to view scene in top-down or up mode.

Left arrow Move Left - Moves the viewer in the direction of the arrow.

Right arrow Move Right - Moves the viewer in the direction of the arrow.

Up arrow Move Up - Moves the viewer in the direction of the arrow.

Down arrow Move Down - Moves the viewer in the direction of the arrow.

Spacebar Stop Current Motion - When the viewer is in motion, stops movement.

How to set Map to preset viewing height:

1) Add a place marker from Toolbar (yellow push pin. if you already have one just edit it in your places list)

2) In pop up box under the VIEW tab set the RANGE: to x number of meters and click OK (I work in meters)

3) check ground scale in bottom left corner.

4) open Starting location from Places and ajust RANGE: Up or down depending on desired ground scale.

Now when you click on your starting location the map will zoom in or out to your desired ground scale then press n and the map will rotate so north is at the top of map (i.e north is always up)

How to get contour lines:

you will need a 1px x 1px white dot or any color you like

1) zoom map out to see more area than you are mapping

2) Ctrl + Shft + O green lines will appear on the map, you can drag these out to cover your area

3) in the pop up box put in a NAME:. I tend to name them 20m, 30m, 35m etc

4) LINK: Find your white pixel and connect it.

5) set TRANSPARENCY: I tend to put the slider in line with the LOCATION tab

6) Open the ALTITUDE: tab and change dropdown to Absolute and enter an altitude: in meters and click ok

You should now see this layer under places. layers can now be turned on and off using the check boxes

How to get images:

1) find image you want

2) Ctrl + Alt + T hides toolbar

3) F11 Full screen mode (give you a little more image)

4) Ctrl + S opens popup to save image (will save the image

once I have my google earth maps I overlay the 1947 black and whites to see the changes.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On ‎17‎.‎04‎.‎2015 at 1:04 AM, Pak40 said:

I'm more interested in where you get your 1947 black and whites (aerials?)

https://thedesertfoxsite.wordpress.com/2017/08/01/ressources-for-map-design-7-carte-geoportail/

and

https://thedesertfoxsite.wordpress.com/2017/08/01/ressources-for-map-design-6-remonter-le-temps-ign/

Edited by DesertFox

• 6 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, DesertFox said:

off topic, i know, but does anyone have a similar resource for italy?  looking for any detailed pre-war or wartime maps and images of cassino town before the bombing, but no luck so far.  maybe this is why there's no sign of cassino town maps and scenarios in cmfi/gl?

any help is much appreciated.

cheers,

rob

Edited by quakerparrot67

@quakerparrot67How about

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A31023

or

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A84871

Both can be downloaded in high res.

Make sure to zoom in properly. I will also check a book I have that might have a map and I'll scan it for you.

Edited by rocketman
Additional info

I carved out a rare evening to work on my Le Carillon master map and was playing with ditchlock to create wide vs gentle embankments for creek beds. Google Maps streetview was an invaluable resource.

Btw, the answer for Basse Normandie seems to be 'both' - a 1:2 (<30°)  embankment bottomed by a 1m steep sided trench containing the watercourse). Steep enough that no additional perimeter is required, and cattle don't crop the long grass at the bottom.

10 hours ago, rocketman said:

@quakerparrot67How about

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A31023

or

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A84871

Both can be downloaded in high res.

Make sure to zoom in properly. I will also check a book I have that might have a map and I'll scan it for you.

thanks, rocketman, i'll have to give these a close look and see if i can figure them out.  t.b.h., totally new to mapreading, etc, not to mention tactical wargaming, so kinda figuring everything out as i go along... glad this forum is here to help!  also,  do you know if there's any maps available showing the locations of the main german strongholds in the town, and  which fj units (or fragments) were holding each one ( as close as possible- i don't imagine anyone was keeping detailed records on march 15 or for a while afterwards).  i've always been fascinated by the photos and footage of the  fallschirmjager  occupying the ruins of cassino town,  and would love to see the 3rd battle -especially in the area of the 'hotel continental- done as a detailed map/scenario in cmfi/gl.  again, thanks for the links and i look forward to going over them.

cheers,

rob

8 hours ago, rocketman said:

@quakerparrot67I found some more detailed maps. If you want them I can send it all via Dropbox-link.

cool!  not quite sure how the whole 'dropbox' thing works, though (and if the messages my pc keeps giving me are  anything to go by  mine (dropbox) hasn't got enough room in it and i need to buy more space).  sorry- just not too tech savvy, and new to the gaming world.

cheers,

rob

10 hours ago, quakerparrot67 said:

cool!  not quite sure how the whole 'dropbox' thing works, though (and if the messages my pc keeps giving me are  anything to go by  mine (dropbox) hasn't got enough room in it and i need to buy more space).  sorry- just not too tech savvy, and new to the gaming world.

cheers,

rob

I will send you a PM later on with more info and we can discuss outside of this thread. Don't worry about Dropbox, the link I will send is for downloads only.

• 4 weeks later...

@quakerparrot67: did you check out my PM with info?

There is a community made scenario ( http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-fortress-italy/cm-fortress-italy-add-ons/monte-cassino-the-outcome/ )  which I haven't tried. It appears that the map isn't to scale and I don't know if a real map was used and "condensed".

I might also have another asset for more details about the layout of Cassino town and a rough estimate of German positions/strength.