Quick Battles

Hi guys

Advice needed, a friend wants to have a QB via PBEM. Only problem is I have never played QB's.

Therefore, I have no idea what would make a good QB. Could you guys suggest some parameters I should choose in the QB generator please?

Battle type,size,length,month,year,force purchase, environment weather etc...

all suggestions welcome

cheers

Hi guys

Advice needed, a friend wants to have a QB via PBEM. Only problem is I have never played QB's.

Therefore, I have no idea what would make a good QB. Could you guys suggest some parameters I should choose in the QB generator please?

Battle type,size,length,month,year,force purchase, environment weather etc...

all suggestions welcome

cheers

Huge open map, medium forces, standard rarity, clear weather.

I prefer a medium for less-experienced QB players. It provides a "cushion" so a mistake or two doesn't more or less end the battle.

Maybe something like this ....

Medium, Axis Probe, No rarity, August(all the toys), Mixed, Overcast, Day.

Put this on a large(not medium) map. More room to get a feel for how to maneuver all those teams. Maybe a nice Village map like ATTK Large Village QB-094. Always feel free to tweak a map if you feel a need. I tend to wall-wrap whatever buildings are already in the proper tile positions, and maybe add a few low stone walls here and there, or replace wood with low stone. Billiard tables are brushed with generous helpings of Tall Grass and scatterings of VT(ninja) Grass.

Occasionally I will adjust the VL to accomodate a medium buy instead of a large as well.

Axis Probe makes for a nice almost-meeting engagement, due to pricier toys and lower organic mortar ammo.

As far as "rules" are concerned, I would think the "no 1st turn arty fire" is a good one.

"Mixed" allows unlimited buys in any single category. It may behoove both parties to set a "soft" limit on category buys, such as arty and tanks. Maybe 20% for armor or something... whatever feels comfortable. It's no fun facing 3,000 points worth of Panthers and a platoon of Grendiers. :D

If it were me and I was a new QB player, I would take as many variables under personal control as possible.

Auto force pick can be a bear. Fine tuning your force can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game.

Random weather can also feed you a mess.

Pick your own map. Look in the editor if need be.

Give the time limit a bump to 45 minutes-1 hour. No need to rush if you are still getting the hang of it. Nothing causes more uneeded casualties than rushing to beat the clock.

Wade in to the pool, don't dive in. You both will most likely have more fun.

My suggestion and personal favorite settings -

Battle - Axis Probe

Size - Medium

Duration - 1 hour(maybe 45 minutes)

Map selection - Human

Aug 44

Day

Overcast

Rarity - none

Attacker - German, Mix, human pick, map preview allowed, no bonus

Defender - Allies, Mix, Human pick, Map preview allowed.

This lets both sides at least attempt to find a force that matches both the terrain and the mission.

Chiming in, a bit late: the auto force select is good...for battles against the AI. It keeps you guessing. But for your own (or human opponent's) forces, human select is the way to go. Use the "suggest" to play around, but choosing your force is half the game. :)

I have pretty much gone with Sgt Schultz suggestions

Battle - Axis Probe

Size - Medium

Duration - 1 hour(maybe 45 minutes)

Map selection - Human

Aug 44

Day

Overcast

Rarity - none

Attacker - German, Mix, human pick, map preview allowed, no bonus

Defender - Allies, Mix, Human pick, Map preview allowed.

but I am also going to use the suggest force too as suggested by Baneman

The difference lies in the amount of purchase points allocated. The attacker's points are increased and the defender's points decreased, from Probe being the least advantage for the attacker, and Assault the highest.

Given that how does a probe victory conditions differ from a meeting engagement or from an Assault?

When you play an ME you both usually start in a small(ish) space at opposite ends with the objective(s) in the middle. With an Assault the defender gets to setup in a fairly large area to defend the objectives and the attacker has to start away from the objectives and try to reach them. I have played those kind of QBs many times.

What does a Probe look like in terms of objectives?

---

Of course I could just fire the game up I suppose:-)

Thanks,

On further research, it was actually previously discussed in these threads (sorry):

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=97166

http://ww.combatmission.com/community/showthread.php?t=100626

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=98983

BTW, in the manual, it says that assault missions also give the attacker some recon of enemy positions...