[RELEASED] sdp_ITA_QBPACK_I

sdp

For any of you that haven't checked this out, even if you aren't interested in playing in Italy right now, DL sdp's stuff and marvel at the beauty of the work he's put in...there is some top notch texture work going on and the buildings he did are just incredible...really great texture work with realistic looking stone to mention one highlight

MJKerner did a Herman Goering mod to compliment sdp's work and there are some really fine textures in that as well...the German tank crews in particular with the oil stains on their hats and jackets look really sweet...some fantastic helmet work for the infantry as well as the uniforms. MJ has told me he just started to delve into modding, coming from a miniatures painting background...and if this is the kind of work he puts out on his first full fledged texturing attempt we are gonna see some incredible things from him in the future.

Both sdp and MJkerner are talented guys, and this mod, with all the effort and work that's went into it deserves to be taken for a spin. If you are tired of bocage and want a change of scenery until the Brits arrive, or you just want to oogle some top notch art...get all the stuff for this mod, make a dedicated Italy folder to throw in your Z folder, and give these guys the praise and recognition they deserve...doesn't cost a dime to thank and give people a pat on the back, or leave some messages if a mod is on the Repos and a rating. All us modders do this for free and our only payment is feedback from the players who enjoy our stuff...these two guys are definitely among our best.

Thanks fellahs!

Mord.

For any of you that haven't checked this out, even if you aren't interested in playing in Italy right now, DL sdp's stuff and marvel at the beauty of the work he's put in...there is some top notch texture work going on and the buildings he did are just incredible...really great texture work with realistic looking stone to mention one highlight

MJKerner did a Herman Goering mod to compliment sdp's work and there are some really fine textures in that as well...the German tank crews in particular with the oil stains on their hats and jackets look really sweet...some fantastic helmet work for the infantry as well as the uniforms. MJ has told me he just started to delve into modding, coming from a miniatures painting background...and if this is the kind of work he puts out on his first full fledged texturing attempt we are gonna see some incredible things from him in the future.

Both sdp and MJkerner are talented guys, and this mod, with all the effort and work that's went into it deserves to be taken for a spin. If you are tired of bocage and want a change of scenery until the Brits arrive, or you just want to oogle some top notch art...get all the stuff for this mod, make a dedicated Italy folder to throw in your Z folder, and give these guys the praise and recognition they deserve...doesn't cost a dime to thank and give people a pat on the back, or leave some messages if a mod is on the Repos and a rating. All us modders do this for free and our only payment is feedback from the players who enjoy our stuff...these two guys are definitely among our best.

Thanks fellahs!

Mord.

I have to echo this. His mod inspired me to make a campaign set in Italy, and the visuals are absolutely stunning.

This really sounds terrific.

Can someone explain the "for dummies" how-to for making best use of all the Italy content (terrain, battle pack, maps, uniform mods, etc), and installing it without messing up all the existing mods for these things that one might already have in the "z" folder?

Is it really as simple as just collecting all the Italy stuff in a z\italy folder? Or do all the W Europe mods in z have to be temporarily moved out -- or just certain ones?

PS: Does the Italy mod give us access to the modded terrain tiles for making our own Italy maps, too? How do you get the old ones back when you need them?

Yep, throw all the stuff in a folder and just title it Z Italy...as long as you don't have any other BRZs or folders that have the Z prefix you'll be okay...if you wanna be extra safe name the folder Z Z Z Italy or something to that effect.

To go back to your normal terrain you just remove the Italy folder from the Z folder.

Mord.

sdp,

I had difficulty finding/loading the Quick Battle Maps also. It seems that they show up only when certain types of Quick Battles are selected (Attack, Meeting Engagement, Probe, etc...) I think that I found them when choosing Attack. Are the AI plans set for a specific type of engagement?

I just finished a Quick Battle on one of your maps and it was really beautiful. I had light rain set, with the Winter mod pack and it was very immersive! However, the AI did not seem to do much as far as reaching the objective. Can you please indicate what sort of Battle should be selected for each of your maps?

Thanks again for such outstanding work.

Thanks! Yes, the QB maps are all Attack-type - sorry should've mentioned that. Will do better with next pack (and upload a v2 of this first pack...)

As far as I've been able to test the QB maps all have working AI plans; there are 3-5 AI plans for each side and they should be ok.

One thing that I can think of is that there might some problems with the movement orders that has to do with some of the maps being edited from older versions. I'll have a more thourough look into it.

Which one did you test?

Thanks! Yes, the QB maps are all Attack-type - sorry should've mentioned that. Will do better with next pack (and upload a v2 of this first pack...)

As far as I've been able to test the QB maps all have working AI plans; there are 3-5 AI plans for each side and they should be ok.

One thing that I can think of is that there might some problems with the movement orders that has to do with some of the maps being edited from older versions. I'll have a more thourough look into it.

Which one did you test?

I was using the Mountainous002 map and playing a Quick Battle as the Germans vs. U.S. AI. There were no U.S. troops in the objective area, although a U.S. tank did get close. I also chose a small battle in the Quick Battle editor.

Yeah, I've checked and doublechecked the AI plans; turns out I've forgotten to erase some of the older movementorders from earlier versions of the maps. Troops will in some rare instances move to perfectly logical areas and reach the objectives - and then move out again to a perfectly unlogical spot... This only applies to a few of the AI plans (all maps have 3-5 plans for each side). Thanks for bringing this to my attention - and as I said, this will be fixed in a v2.

Thank you sdp! All I am playing now are your Italy Scenarios with all your mods. The background "wallpaper" is really fantastic and totally adds immersion. I enjoy just strolling through the countryside.

Do you own CM:Afghanistan? If so, it could really use your work on the background. The wallpaper that shipped with the game has seams in it, which totally blows immersion.

sdp, can you share with us the technique for changing the background "wallpaper" in CMBN? This would greatly help any of us making coastal maps, for example, where we need to replace one or more horizons with horizons showing only water (or, if we wanted to be even more ambitious for D-Day maps, an invasion flotilla in the mist offshore...)

You'll find the bmp:s for the horizon in "...\b\terrain\skybox\mountains" once you exploded the "Normandy v100B.brz".

The entire horizon is made up of 4 different files (actually there are three sets with 4 files each for clear, haze and thick haze). Each bmp measures 2048x256 pxls. I made one very long horizon measuring 8192x256, pasted actual photos from Italy into one picture and then split it into 4 individual parts. You have to be very cautious when you make the 4 parts - if you miss 1 pxl it'll show up as a nasty glitch on the horizon ingame - which seems to be the case in CMA (which I own btw).

Shouldn't be to hard to make a part of the horizon showing the sea - I seem to recollect that this was done with one mod in CMSF (called CMSFUBKModv1, think you can find it in the Repository)

Wow, great how-to. It sounds risky but now at least I know how to do it - Thanks!

Also:

For you Italy buffs, here's an option to consider if anyone wants to run an operational board game to set up your tactical battles -- it was originally made to set up battles for miniatures, but seems like it would be good with CMBN also:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?50@810.Qa9EcEOd2ON.4@.1dd30af2

Well, I answered my own question. I copied sdp's Italy background images into my CM:A - Z folder. The background looks great but does not blend in well with most CM:A maps due to the high terrain elevations on those maps.

There seems to be a lot of empty space between the maps and the background in CM:A regardless of which wallpaper is used, that doesn't look good. In CM:SF and CM:BN this is less pronounced.

• 4 weeks later...
I think the ITO mod is just stunning. I've played Nik Mond's Gothic Anvil scenario (and very good it is) and will wait for v2 of these QB's. Are any other scenarios/QB's available for Italy? This mod really deserves a lot more.

The Gothic Anvil scenario was very good, I love fighting battles in challenging topography, so many hiding places, some of the MGs were just murderous in their defense. Well done, I look forward to more scenarios in an Italian setting.