win32/heur trojan

AVG antivirus was detecting the shock force.exe as a win32/heur trojan.

I have had both running on my machine for months now with no problem. Why would AVG all of a sudden recognize the .exe files as trojans? Is anyone else having this problem? Just asking thinking AVG updated itself and caused this. I went into AVG and set it to ignore all of my shockforce .exe files and it works now.

AVG antivirus was detecting the shock force.exe as a win32/heur trojan.

I have had both running on my machine for months now with no problem. Why would AVG all of a sudden recognize the .exe files as trojans? Is anyone else having this problem? Just asking thinking AVG updated itself and caused this. I went into AVG and set it to ignore all of my shockforce .exe files and it works now.

Had this as well. Hoping that it's AVG ;)

Yeah I'm getting this as well.

For me it seems to be the Nato module. The exe icon is funny with the Nato module, its not the same as the British or Marines.

I have been playing the game with no problem for the past week or so since i downloaded the bundle.

No, it's not. win32/heur is not a virus. "heur" stands for "heuristic" which is equivalent to "unknown". It seems that AVG has released an update today or yesterday which is creating a lot of false positives like this based on unknown virus signatures.

You can turn off "heuristic" scanning and see if it helps, and/or use the AVG feature to set exceptions and whitelist specific files it erroneously flags or even whole folders.

Martin

Well:

1. It impacts on the paid version too, and

2. Setting to exempt is fine if you only have CM:SF or even CM:SF and CM:A but as I have some 99 *.exe files (spread across various builds of CM:SF / CM:USMC, CM:UK, CM:NATO, CM:A and CM:BN - I know because it just listed them all [and wanted to delete them]) its a PITA.

I've just changed the scanning pref to warn me of an "infected" file not automatically clean / quarantine it.

Just noticed this too. How do I go about exempting CM from AVG? I can run CMSF alright but it seems to have eaten NATO.

It may have moved it into the quarantine area (I think that's the default setting).

If you open AVG, select "History" and then "Virus Vault" you can return the "suspect" application to where it should be.

Yes, most eLicense protected games seem to be affected. We've notified eLicense to make sure AVG knows about it. Probably will get fixed in the next definition updates. I've cursed about AVG a lot since they do tend to generate a bunch of false positives with their heuristic filters, but then at least they do tend to listen and are fairly quick to solve problems, unlike some other companies (cough-spersky)...

• 4 years later...

You need to 'whitelist' the CMSF executables (the main executable, all module executables and the 'Runservice.exe' copy-protection executable) within AVG. Typically it is the 'active protection' (I can't recall what AVG calls theirs) that is the culprit. These instructions for whitelisting within AVG are for an older version and hopefully they are still accurate. Otherwise you may want to search for 'AVG 2015 whitelisting', etc. and see what results you get (preferably from AVG's site).