What's the Point w/o Vista?

76mm

Well we need to get this fixed as I suspect that what people who are waiting for the WW2 version of CMSF have no yet realised is that the number of vehicles supported by the game are going to be quite small. So you are not going to get CMBB with extra graphics. What you are going to get is CMSF with a handful of WW2 vehicles. So first choice will be Normandy and then maybe a Kursk pack. But you will not get June 1941 to May 1945 with almost every vehicles as you do in CMBB.

While this is true to a point, I think Steve and Moon's comments here give us reason to expect that CMx2 WWII will have quite a bit of what BB and AK had by the time all the modules come out.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. There's a LOT that's just plain wrong at that link.

I'm not a fanboy. I was VERY disappointed with the CMSF initial release. Now, at v1.08 and soon to be boosted to v1.1, CMSF is a very good game.

WEGO is the only way I play CMSF. I do not see the problems you linked. Many of them are totally mistaken. Others are misinterpretations. Some are, indeed, valid. But not many.

The demo is free. Give it a shot.

Regards,

Ken

It is amazing that the link lists a whole bunch of gripes and doesn't even mention any of my pet peeves such as the defender being unable to place foxholes, trenches, barbed wire, etc in the location that the defender (as opposed to scenario designer) wishes to.

I am 99% sure that while some of the terrain will improve for the Normandy module we still will not be able to place our own fortifications or defensive positions.

I've posted on the nvidia support forums, there has been no response.

Don't you think it would behoove Battlefront to push Nvidia to fix this? From this forum, it appears there are many former CMBB players who have changed systems and can no longer enjoy CMBB. Potential CMC players are dropping fast. I have vista 32 and 8500GT card. The game runs but the lousy frame rate makes the game unplayable. CMSF runs like a gem on my system.

I've posted on the nvidia support forums, there has been no response.

Care to post or p.m. me the link?

I have some influence over there, although not in the Windoze section.

Don't you think it would behoove Battlefront to push Nvidia to fix this? From this forum, it appears there are many former CMBB players who have changed systems and can no longer enjoy CMBB. Potential CMC players are dropping fast. I have vista 32 and 8500GT card. The game runs but the lousy frame rate makes the game unplayable. CMSF runs like a gem on my system.

Well, hard call here.

Working vendor to vendor with NVidia is probably not much easier than fixing CMBB. You have to take into account that the code change required is probably trivial, but the mess comes in when it comes to releasing a new patch for CMBB, with all the QA required and the (f... them) effort of dealing with the non-BFC vendors. Good luck with that. And if you release a BFC-only CMBB 1.04 the European suckers will kill you. Nice lose-lose situation there.

BFC isn't making any money of CMC, but of course a reduction in what little sales it has due to the hardware/OS problem isn't going to improve the situation.

It seems failry certain that we properly identified the reason for breakage as being in the DX10-card drivers for Vista and it is a valid approch to just sit it out and wait for NVidia to fix it. It seems to me that this is what BFC is doing.

However, if we can't get the word to NVidia at all then this plan might not work out so well...

Issuing a patch for CMBB shouldn't be an issue, since I believe CMC comes with its own CMBB which is slightly different to accomodate CMC already. In fact it would be a good incentive for people to buy CMC if that was the only way to get CMBB working on Vista. Changing CMBB to work with the Nvidia DX10 drivers is probably non-trivial, plus the drivers might change again.

Changing CMBB to work with the Nvidia DX10 drivers is probably non-trivial, plus the drivers might change again.

It's probably just some one-liner somewhere.

The sad thing is that if BFC hadn't decided to nuke the software render mode after CMBO (and didn't limit the resolution in the first place) we would be kind of fine because modern machines are powerful enough to run CMBB/CMAK in softmode at 1024x768 at least.

So.... what about installing another graphics card (older DX9) version on the same computer. Will it work then???? You would have to change the video output to the other card if you want to run CMBB!!!!

That is unclear.

Probably yes, but if both are NVidia, then the drivers might be confused and not be able to run both DX9 and DX10 versions of themselves at the same time.

What part is unclear???

If I install an older dx9 card (or earlier) and use it to run the monitor, wouldn't that work? I am not a tech guru, but the idea is simple, maybe it is a little more complicated & over my head what the problems would be?

Can one not have more than 1 video card in a computer?? Running at the same time?? If so then this would work.

I want to play CCMB, I hate the new game it runs like crap, buggy, interface is a mess, nothing is intuitive like the older games, etc. & I have a new vista computer, top of the line with a 8800 video card unfortunately.

thanks, duriel

What part is unclear???

If I install an older dx9 card (or earlier) and use it to run the monitor, wouldn't that work? I am not a tech guru, but the idea is simple, maybe it is a little more complicated & over my head what the problems would be?

Can one not have more than 1 video card in a computer?? Running at the same time?? If so then this would work.

I want to play CCMB, I hate the new game it runs like crap, buggy, interface is a mess, nothing is intuitive like the older games, etc. & I have a new vista computer, top of the line with a 8800 video card unfortunately.

thanks, duriel

The question is whether the NVidia drivers allow you to run a DX9 and a DX10 card at the same time, that's all.

Remember that DX10 seems to be an entirely different code path. We know that because it breaks CMx1, where the DX9 code path works for CMx1. The question is whether the NVidia developers can run both code paths at the same time.

looks like we need more technical horsepower for advice, I'll ask on another forum.

I thought you could have more than one video card installed at once, and not have to swap them out. If you have an open slot for the new (older) card. Then you could just unplug the video cable from one to the other.

Of course you can. The question comes in when the cards are so different that they need different drivers. The ATI and NVidia drivers could clash and refuse to run in the same OS, and the NVidia DX10 and DX9 code paths could refuse to run at the same time.

Either way, a reboot into an alternate OS installation will be sufficient, physically removing the car isn't required.

All this because some sheep couldn't keep their flippers of Vista...

All this because some sheep couldn't keep their flippers of Vista...

This sheep has a further question, will the follow-up operating system to vista have the same dx/10 issues? I'd imagine microsoft will not go backwards in supporting dx9 and earlier versions.

That being said, are there wargames available now or in the near future that require dx/10?

This sheep has a further question, will the follow-up operating system to vista have the same dx/10 issues? I'd imagine microsoft will not go backwards in supporting dx9 and earlier versions.

That being said, are there wargames available now or in the near future that require dx/10?

That's the stupidest thing posted so far.

First of all, you need DX5 compatibility, not DX9 for CMx1.

Second, Mickeysoft did nothing to you. DX10 specifies that the DX5 calls should be present and working. It just so happens that NVidia didn't care and broke them in their DX10 drivers.

So Microsoft doesn't have to support anything here, they already do.

VISTA=JUNK...Microsoft has admitted it's failure with this product and has moved on. Vista is the equivalent of Windows Millenium. All hype, no follow thru. I uninstalled it after a few days and multiple glitches in games that ran fine before. Stick with XP. Don't reinvent the wheel if it's not necessary.

I wouldn't slam Vista in its entirity... I avoided it for over a year simply because of the scare stories... most of which were true

However, few months ago my brother made the plunge and tried it out... turned out to be quite good (main reasoning was to run Crysis on DX10). Basically, get the Ultimate edition as it doesn't treat you like a total idiot and lets you get on with it and turn off all the aero junk, it simply wastes your time and computing power.

With Vista I havn't had a single PC lockup, crash or freeze as a result of the OS. It's only been applications that have crashed, moslty cus the of the software.

I thought you could have more than one video card installed at once, and not have to swap them out. If you have an open slot for the new (older) card. Then you could just unplug the video cable from one to the other.

I would seriously not recomend doing that!! as already stated... you will DEFINATLY have issues where the drivers of each device clash!!

I had ATI drivers left on my PC when put in an nVidia and it caused lots of problems...

OFF TOPIC: just for kicks... a bat just flew into my room while typing this and knocked itself out on my door lol... its ok tho... let it back out thru the window! Good Deed done!