Arming the Viper

Phonan

I've heard of several attempts to arm Vipers and have tried it a couple times myself. In my case, at least, all attempts have failed. My first try was a 76mm. Not only did it not fire, but I had no ammo bar or options. When I tried to give it AA guns, they refused to fire as well. Have anyone else's ventures gotten any farther?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

OK time to bring back an old problem.

Like many others before me I too tryed the trusted method of arming the Viper by just editing the code. Nothing seemed to work. Worse even none, NONE of my changes were even saved into the file. So I tryed to delete out a engine or even change the name from Viper. Same result. It is almost as if the file is write protected.

I changed stratiges. I Took the venerable "dropship" changed its chassis type from dropship to air shipchassis and began to edit that. I now have a Gunner and a 76mm on board (i.e. they show in the HUD) but it won't fire and worse it won't fly. I cant get the thing off the ground.

So all this leads up too is, "A bit of help needed, thanks"

The farthest I've gotten is arming it with automated Ion Cannons by taking the Galaxy chassis, then changing the model file and collision boxes to those of the Viper. One very important thing if one does this is to make the density that of a Viper. Otherwise, flying is a nightmare. However, I have no idea why this didn't work when I tried simply modifying the Viper's subsystems... I suppose I might attempt, for example, taking a Thor and modifying it? I'll get back to everyone when I try this.

OK, I tryed to change the model on a copy of the viper file. Didn't work. I think that somehow the Viper file is write protected.

Also how do you get airshipchassis to not be dropped on the ground like the Viper.

And when is 1.2.3 coming out would like some about a weeks heads up to get my Sapper squad ready.(I know not arming the Viper but I'm hoping somebody in the know will read this) smile.gif

The problem with write-protection is interesting. Has anyone circumvented it? I'm no expert on this, but copy-paste should work fine. I'll see if I can modify it...

EDIT- As it turns out... my file isn't copy-protected; far from it! I just deleted the entire contents of the file!

Thanks for the advice Poesel. Is it possible that the AirshipChassis is simply not allowed to carry player-controlled weapons, just as turrets, for example, can't be player controlled? Is this impossible due to the actual code?

Originally posted by Phonan:

Thanks for the advice Poesel. Is it possible that the AirshipChassis is simply not allowed to carry player-controlled weapons, just as turrets, for example, can't be player controlled? Is this impossible due to the actual code?

I actually wonder if it's due to the code added to stop the Galaxy weapons deploying on entry (until it lands).

I've had some some success. Here is what I did. Took the Dropship.physicalobjectgroup or (.pog). In the "type" field changed from dropship to AirshipChassis.

Also (and this is what was keeping me from flying) I just noticed that the Dropship has only one engine. Added an Engine (ok two just to sure) Made sure to number each engine.

Other than that it was just like any other vehical.

Ok the gun still won't fire but I'm working on that.

Here is what it looks like.(yes that is my gun sticking off the left tail fin :( ) image.jpg

That looks really cool! Is it going to have a side mounted gun like a AC-130 to strafe ground targets?

This and the Icarius would be cool additions. Maybe 2 of each per team?

Maybe there will be a need to increase the number of Hermes to counter, or to mount small AA guns on all vehicles...but player controlled and not remote controlled like on the Hermes.

I'd say it'd be difficult enough to avoid AA/Bacchus zones while flying (nevermind flying alone ;) ) so that an increase in available AA shouldn't be nessicary.

As for the gun thing.. lets test the code/galaxy theory. Land it somewhere (Raid has a couple of good open areas), and then firing. If we're right about this, the gun should fire. If not, then it's back to the drawing board :S

Some code changes were required in order to make arming the AirshipChassis really doable. You can now put turrets and weapons on them the "normal" way, just as you would with any other unit.

Here's new Cobra Gunship on a test flight (2 clips stuck together into 1 short video):

Download it to watch it, don't stream it

Video

This code change is ready to go for the 1.2.6 release.

Nice video and nice gun! Since now it looks like we will have more flyers in the game I have a wish for a feature: a switch that shuts off the automatic barrel elevation feature.

Reason: I can quite well calculate horizontal movement of a target and 'know' how much in advance I have to aim. With vertical movement the automatic elevation always comes into my way and I never hit anything except if its very close. Fixing the range with MMB doesn't help, the shell still flys different to what I expect.

A simple: point-the-barrel-where-I-point-the-cursor would really help.

This will be insanely fun! Two things though...

A) Is the Grapple now turn-off-able? We want balance, not Super-Vipers. (Never thought I'd say that, eh?

B) Well, I actually only had one question. Now it's time to design my Gunship of DOOM!