Arming the Viper

Phonan

I'd go with high speed. Have the bomber wait on your side of the map, where your bots can protect it (provided the gunships don't become a problem). Drop the nose to the ground, and hang on. Fly over the enemy base (hopefully AFTER you've taken out the ion tower) and bombs away.

Maybe arm it with the plasma mortar? Or at least the plasma shell. Those make a pretty good bang, and would be suitable for a bomb.

*edit*

On the note of cobra ships, and whatnot, I got to work, and we now have the Cobra Transport Ship. It still has the 30mm gun, but with less shots per fire, and lower ammo capacity. It carries 5 people.

I figure it'll make things more interesting to get infantry into the heat of battle quicker smile.gif

This is, of course, if you can find a suitable place to land :D

Here

[ May 15, 2007, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Chilibird ]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Phonan:

I've been wondering about altitude protection- are you sure that it can be hit even at maximum altitude? Either way, there are a couple options= give it an autogun with short range- solely for protection. The other option is simply to find a target and bomb it while flying over at high speed- this makes tracking with normal weapons difficult.

I'm pretty sure. For example, max altitude on Recon in Rorce is only 2000 meters. You get shot full of 76, 90, and on occasion 120mm from the ground, even if you're idling in a far corner.

I see promise for a fast precision strike aircraft though. Something that drops its payload on a target and then extracts. It would be a great counter to snipers.

Maybe the new bomber pilots should ask Clay to implement the 'shell inherits velocity from parent' feature. Else the bombs will drop straight down no matter what speed the Viper has.

OTOH that makes bombing much easier. :D

Oh, and a suggestion to the maker of the bombs: do not make blast diameter greater than 500. From there the craters start to look weird. smile.gif

Thanks Poesel. It's true that inheriting velocity makes the bombing far tricker- as of now I just wait till my minimap icon is on top of theirs and click. I do, though, need to improve the bomb firepower. Look for the bomber this weekend.

Also, do we up the speed, give it an ion defense, or leave it alone? Its present speed seems to be enough for high speed bombing runs.

Finally, as to the Cobra Transport, I've tried my own version but it's very difficult to use in single player- the bots can't fly and don't know when to get out; as we can't control two units at once, it's pretty much impossible to use. I don't know if this has changed with 1.2.6, though.

Ok, we have a warship from CrimsonDestiny, a transport from Chilibird and (coming) a bomber from Phonan.

I've also got updates to the infantry from Redcon plus the Ion adjustments - thats clearly enough for new Zoo version.

So Phonan, we are just waiting for you! :D

Would anyone mind if the next version is a patch to CZ5? Redownloading unchanged textures seems silly.

Forgot 3 things:

1) before you use strange download services tongue.gif just mail the stuff to me, adress is in profile. I'll put it online.

2) please don't forget to change the vehicles name in the XML. That name will be displayed when you get shot down. smile.gif

3) numbers: how many of these flying pests do you want in the inventory?

[ May 17, 2007, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

I just need the files. If they have identifyable names and its clear which is the 'main' file then I don't need an inventory. I'd like to have an description which will show up in the mod description (thats a one liner).

The problem with that is that the coax would need a model to stick out of the parent gun, if I recall, and a gatling gun with a shrike launcher jutting from an end is... unsatisfactory.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to put two turrets on the chassis, one for the gatling gun and another for the ATGM, but I have no idea how feasible that is.

Well, you don't really need a model at all. From a technical view you can use the 'very_small_triangle.obj' included in CZ to get the proper XML and make the launcher invisible. From an aesthetic view it doesn't matter because the way the viper is built you don't even see the vulcan. From the realism view you can reason that the launcher is integrated in the chassis.

The way ATGMs start the current launch is silly anyway.

About two turrets: a loong time ago when yurch made the Bacchus he originally had two turrets on it but Clay changed that to the current design because two turrets cause a network bug. I don't know if that is fixed. Beter ask Clay.