Building maps for CMC… you need Mapping Mission.

kipanderson

Hi,

If you are interested in building maps for CMC you will find life a lot easier if you use Mapping Mission.

I have been responsible for building a number of 12km by 12km CMBB campaign maps from which individual CMBB battle maps were then copied and pasted for use in tournaments. Mapping Mission is ideal for this.

You can build a 12km by 12km, or any size, map in Mapping Mission and then copy and paste any section into the CMBB editor to use to build an individual battle. Perfect for CMC. You could build up a library of maps in Mapping Mission from which you could then very quickly produce maps for CMC when it is released.

It really is as easy as it sounds, there is no catch smile.gif .

All the best,

Kip.

PS. I do not know from where you currently download Mapping Mission, but it will be out there somewhere ;) .

Another tip... if you own HTTR you can use it's MapMaker utility to create the campaign map and then export (screen grab) each layer as needed for use in Mapping Mission. It is a quick and dirty way to get a linear map into CM. The map wil probably require some tweaking of course to add details, etc.. but it will get you your CM maps very quickly.

This technique was pioneered and used for the CMOC campaign to good effect.

Bil

Originally posted by Bil Hardenberger:

Another tip... if you own HTTR you can use it's MapMaker utility to create the campaign map and then export (screen grab) each layer as needed for use in Mapping Mission. It is a quick and dirty way to get a linear map into CM. The map wil probably require some tweaking of course to add details, etc.. but it will get you your CM maps very quickly.

This technique was pioneered and used for the CMOC campaign to good effect.

Bil

What is HTTR?

My nickel goes to "Mapping Mission". I down-loaded it over the weekend when Sergei first posted about it. Printed out the Manual, read it, tried a bit of messing about, etc with the program. Sunday, about 4 p.m., I created a nice map in MM and loaded it into CM:BB and if I do say so myself, it looked okay. No rough spots where the "edges" didn't fit or places where - after I fixed a tiny typo in the height # in MM - the "hills" looked like lizard spines. Nice. It was only a 1 km by 1 km, but a good test of the principle. My problem is going to be finding maps of - for instance - central USSR with topography circa 1940 - 1946 - in about 1:50,000 or thereabouts. But MM gets my vote as map maker to the gods.

Question: My understanding is that Mapping Mission is really useful if you are trying to replicate an actual map in CMBB. What advantages does it offer over CMBB's random map creator if you just want a realistic-looking, if fictional, piece of Russian terrain?

From the manual, it sounds like it would make it easier to create rivers, etc.?

the creator is jaynius
jaynius here...

nice to see my little creation still has some legs. I haven't actually done any work on it in quite some time, and haven't actually played more than 1-2 games of CM:AK so haven't had much incentive to adding CM:AK support to Mapping Mission. Apologies to those that have been patiently waiting for this, but there's just too much going on in my life recently to have much chance of getting back to MM development.

What advantages does it offer over CMBB's random map creator...?
If you want random maps, well, none. But if you are building a map by hand, whether duplicating another map or just starting from scratch, I think it offers some very nice upgrades over the built-in CM editor. Things like being able to drag a line out for a road or other linear feature and having the program automatically pick the right road tiles and intersections as the road moves through different kinds of wooded terrain. Copy and paste. Gesture-clicking to orient buildings.

By the way, I have started hosting the latest version of Mapping Mission on my own personal webspace. It should be downloadable at the following link:

http://home.comcast.net/~leland53/MappingMission111.zip

The zip file includes the program and the user's manual in Word format.

[Edit:

This version is PC only; I hope to begin work on a Mac version soon.
Yeah, sorry about that. I spent some time looking into this, but it had been too long since my Mac programming days, and what with the OS9/OSX switch and everything else, coupled with my lack of time ... yeah.

If there is someone out there with Mac development experience that might be interested in doing a port, they should feel free to contact me. Maybe we can work something out.]

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Yeah, sorry about that. I spent some time looking into this, but it had been too long since my Mac programming days, and what with the OS9/OSX switch and everything else, coupled with my lack of time ... yeah..

No problem.

;) :mad: :(

[ October 19, 2005, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Ales Dvorak ]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...