A Mg 42 can kill a greyhound.

Scheer

In a recent battle against one of my PBEM buddies one of my heavy MG42´s killed a greyhound.

Peppered him from behind for maybe fourty seconds,range was sumthing around fifty meters, then the crew abandoned the greyhound, and was captured. One turn earlier the same grayhound killed bravely my last Stug.

I think it took cojones to take on a Stug with a lowly greyhound. And just one turn later the same brave crew abandoned a perfectly fine grayhound because a mg fired on it.

Strange ...

That's because a MG42 is perfectly capable of drilling through the weak rear / side armor of many of the Allied light vehicles, especially at such a close range. Same deal with the US .50 cal machine gun.

It's generally a good idea to keep your lighter vehicles at least 200m back from enemy machine guns for safety (and even then, sometimes a MG42 will penetrate).

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Even today the U.S. Army had to jump through hoops to field an armored Hummer that would reliably stop a (lower power) AK round from 100m!

I was reading in "Black Hawk Down" whereby an AK-47 armed somalian fired at very close range into the side of a Hummer that had its bullet-resistant windows down. Given that the door is suppose to stop an AK-47 round by itself, i would say the ability of the Hummer to stop AK-47s is pretty low.

The bullet penetrated the door and passed into the knee of a soldier. The skin of the knee was penetrated but the bullet got flattened out by the kneecap and slid to the side of the knee. A minor injury but still the bullet did pass completely through the Hummer's door.

We may be sliding off-topic here, but the U.S. hummer's got several armor types available. The worst (of couse) is the canvas flap, flowed by the aluminum door with a Kevlar-like glass fiber layer. I think there's also a heavier resin-imgregnated Kevlar door, and finally a proper steel door. Now they're coming out with post-it-note armor... Armor panels that are applied with an adhesive back!

In a CMBB scenario I had an MG42 kill a SU76 from

10m (I think the SU76 has 0mm in the rear) but it was rather amusing to have the MG42 have a tank/SP-Gun kill. It took several bursts - I assume the MG42 crew was so excited to have the opportunity it got nervous or something like that.

has there been any instances in CM series where like a 6 man HMG/MMG crew gets wiped out in one shot (not like from massive artillery - but like from a tank round - in theory it should be possible much like when a gun gets hit.

Originally posted by coe:

has there been any instances in CM series where like a 6 man HMG/MMG crew gets wiped out in one shot (not like from massive artillery - but like from a tank round - in theory it should be possible much like when a gun gets hit.

Sure. A lucky direct hit from a good artillery or tank shell can KO an entire HMG crew. Can't think of any specific incidents at the moment but I'm positive it's been done. Just like how I've seen tank shells kill entire squads of infantry.

The biggest mass killing I saw was from a friendly fire incident in CMBO. During one of my many battles in Normandy a big honking piece of American artillery landed amidst the GI's. I swear at least 10 individual squad units were eliminated.

Originally posted by KenH:

"bad things happen" should be a seperate thread :D

Worst I've experienced was having a mortar shell score a 3-point basket (no rim) into the open hatch of my sole Panther :eek:

I think I spent about 3 min staring at the burning wreck....... smile.gif

ROFL! Stuff like that should happen more often. :D