British wartime training film on patrols

One of my CoC colleagues posted this, and I found it so informative I'm passing the word here. What I know of patrols is highly US-centric, so it's great to see things from a different perspective. What's common is that the British used a two man scout team like we did though, I think, not in the same way, but what's distinctive is that the British LOB has an extremely low level counterpart called the stay behind man, who is always one bound behind the main body. It's his job to report what happened if things go pear-shaped. Also of note is that a Leftenant leads and is painfully obvious by virtue of having neither rifle nor Tommy gun. Believe another man is that way, too. At section level, the Bren stays home!  Also noteworthy is that the British have bare helmets, which makes their heads quite obvious in many cases.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Warts 'n' all,

Given everything else shown on exactly how the men prepare for the patrol, to include not taking water bottles (eek!), I took what was shown as to how things were supposed to be. That said, I know precious little about CW helmets.

Aragorn 2002,

Ever happy to help!

Sgt.Squarehead,

Based my spelling on a number of British and CW accounts which used the same version I did. Gusss I'm not alone in my mistake.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

6 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Warts 'n' all, That said, I know precious little about CW helmets.

No shiny helmets.jpg

No prob John. But you are the guy we normally rely on for detailed information. I'd have thought that you could not only tell us what material the Limey helmet covers were made from, the factory they were made in, but even how many holes there was in the netting that they stuck the twigs and leaves into to. As for this particular photo, I'm plumping for Spear and Jackson to have made the pickaxes.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

Warts 'n' all,

This is what happens when I respond right after watching, instead of going into research mode. In fairness, though, I consider myself lucky to have correctly identified the model of a real WW II US Army helmet I bought last year. The pic looks like Normandy, and from what I know of British practices, these men are attacking, which is why they're parading about with pickaxes. Have seen another one in which they were carrying shovels. Either way, it's to provide for rapid digging in so as to best repel the inevitable promptish German counterattack. Pickaxe grog!

Kaunitz,

That's only because you failed to make the LOB list!

Warts 'n' all,

Who's Pike?

Regards,

John Kettler

Wicky,

Appreciate the piece, but unfortunately, it's not expandable, so I can't read it. Something from a TV show?

Guys,

Now that we've learned to patrol, let's move on to a platoon attack! Now, this one's a leap back to early war, but even so, there's a ton of useful information here. Besides, how else are you going to learn what the ammo loadout was for the Boys ATR?

Regards,

John Kettler

Here we have section leader training, and in it the film clearly shows the British do get it when it comes to hiding the telltale helmets and themselves generally. The unit breakdown is highly specialized, notably in that two men are designated bombers (grenade men), who also become smoke men when screening is needed. Also of note is that hip shooting at close range is pretty common, both for Lee Enfields and the Thompson. 

Regards,

John Kettler

@John Kettler This is the scene that @Wicky's previous post referred to. The signature belongs to Ian Lavender who played Private Pike. I once saw him play cricket in a charity match, but I wanted the other side to win.

The show ran for about ten years, beginning in 1968. And is as much about the British class system as it is about WW2. You might be able to track it down on the net or on DVD either way it is well worth watching.

Warts 'n' all,

HD became so iconic Fonzi's jacket is in the Smithsonian.

Isailer,

Don't recall anything specific.

Wicky,

"Close friends get to call him TC"

To get back on a more or less martial track, I believe the nearest US equivalent to Private Pike was Gomer Pyle, played by actor Jom Nabors whose real singing voice, was magnificent. Here's where goodhearted country bumpkin Pyle arrives at the Marine base for boot camp. Actor Frank Sutton, who played the DI ,was the real deal (14 assault landings), but in the US Army, after being rejected for medical reasons by the Marines. The Sergeant Carter character scared and intimidated me as a littel boy, but he was a nonevent compared to the one Jack Webb (later of Dragnet renown) played. 
https://blog.togetherweserved.com/2017/10/11/actor-sgt-frank-sutton-us-army-served-1943-1946/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Here's one aptly called "Shoot To Kill" and covers this highly desirable outcome from Enfield, to Bren, to Boys ATR, even the 2 pounder ATG. Dealing with aircraft is discussed, too, but not the actual mechanics. Alas, no Brem AA mount! As is often the case in such films, there is what I'd call unwarranted optimism and cheeriness (US example is MG-34 and MG-42 how to defeat them film), with an oh so British twist. Even so, there's still a substantial portion of meat in what's offered, together with the opportunity to see early war British armor standing in for hard to come by Panzers. Would've handled Boys and 2 pounder engagements differently myself, and if you refer to the previously posted 2 pounder video, you just might notice something left out while hiding the gun, yet integral to the weapon. 

Regards,

John Kettler