Infantry Resupply via Vehicle question

hypeman

With the new version 4 upgrade, are infantry units able to resupply by standing within close proximity to transport/resupply vehicles? I know that they can share ammo with other, ammo depleted, infantry units by sharing the same physical space; however, does this mechanic apply to infantry-vehicle interactions? It can be tedious having to mount each unit to acquire ammunition only to dismount, then repeat.

P.S. I ask this question in the Shock Force 2 thread but I would imagine this feature would apply to all version 4 titles, I.E. Black Sea, Battle for Normandy etc...

I believe, when it comes to mounted infantry, they will utilize ammunition from a vehicle within 2(3?) action spaces. I'm not sure if it pulls from the vehicle ammo pool first. BUT they will not pull fresh ammunition from the vehicle if you move them away. I'm not 100% sure about this, but as an example I've put MG teams near vehicles they had 2000< ammunition count. As soon as they move away they went back to their default load.

I'm currently playing the second mission of Semper Fi: Syria. My Jav team fired a Jav from the top floor of a building at a target. Since I was receiving fire, I decided the move out of the building to an AAV parked behind another building to acquire another Jav. I entered the AAV on one turn, but when I went to acquire the Jav on the next turn, the team already had it without the command to acquire. I don't know if they would have acquired by just being next to the AAV. 

On January 26, 2019 at 10:44 AM, hypeman said:

With the new version 4 upgrade, are infantry units able to resupply by standing within close proximity to transport/resupply vehicles? I know that they can share ammo with other, ammo depleted, infantry units by sharing the same physical space; however, does this mechanic apply to infantry-vehicle interactions? It can be tedious having to mount each unit to acquire ammunition only to dismount, then repeat.

P.S. I ask this question in the Shock Force 2 thread but I would imagine this feature would apply to all version 4 titles, I.E. Black Sea, Battle for Normandy etc...

I'm pretty sure that infantry will share ammo with their own squad only. I positioned a Recon Team that was down to 80 rounds of 5.56 right next to its HQ that had 400 rounds of 5.56 for about three turns. The HQ, even though it was the HQ of the Recon Team, didn't share its ammo. I do know that a mortar crew will use the rounds in a a nearby vehicle before they use their intrinsic ammo, that has been possible since CMBS first came out, but I'm not sure about teams such as MG or AGL Teams. If you want to know for sure, set up a Quick Battle, select the units you want to test the concept, and run the test.

On 1/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, hypeman said:

Yes.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:16 PM, Firehead said:

I believe, when it comes to mounted infantry, they will utilize ammunition from a vehicle within 2(3?) action spaces. I'm not sure if it pulls from the vehicle ammo pool first. BUT they will not pull fresh ammunition from the vehicle if you move them away. I'm not 100% sure about this, but as an example I've put MG teams near vehicles they had 2000< ammunition count. As soon as they move away they went back to their default load.

My experiences exactly.

5 hours ago, Kuderian said:
On 1/26/2019 at 8:44 AM, hypeman said:

Yes.

This is huge news to me.  Am sure one still has to mount the vehicle or be adjacent to a supply dump.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

This is huge news to me.  Am sure one still has to mount the vehicle or be adjacent to a supply dump.

Hmm, maybe I'm misunderstanding what is being said above but AFAIK to Acquire ammo a unit still mounts a transport type vehicle.  Some vehicles will share directly for a crew served weapon (HMG, mortars, etc.) if in the same platoon and in ammo sharing distance. 

Exactly:

Hypeman said:

"With the new version 4 upgrade, are infantry units able to resupply by standing within close proximity to transport/resupply vehicles? I know that they can share ammo with other, ammo depleted, infantry units by sharing the same physical space; however, does this mechanic apply to infantry-vehicle interactions? It can be tedious having to mount each unit to acquire ammunition only to dismount, then repeat."
The above implies that he hoped that one can acquire ammo simply by being adjacent.  Doesn't work that way.  I wish it did.  It would also be great if one could exchange ammo between adjacent units (with time and quantity limitations of course).

Engine manual page 59:

The Acquire command allows an infantry unit to pick up equipment, weapons and ammunition from points where such goodies are available. In CMx2, this usually means from infantry carriers such as halftracks and trucks which usually carry additional equipment in storage compartments.
In order to use Acquire, the infantry unit has to enter the vehicle first. A pop-up win- dow lists all available equipment that the unit is eligible to choose from. Clicking on an entry removes the equipment or ammo from the list and places it into the inventory of the passenger unit.
Note: while soldiers automatically can share ammo
without explicitly being ordered to (from nearby vehicles, or from nearby infantry units in their formation, as well as through buddy aid), the Acquire command gives you greater direct control.
Note: Units adjacent to an Ammo Dump can also use the Acquire command to obtain ammunition from the Ammo Dump.
Restrictions - only active when the infantry unit is inside a valid pickup area, such as inside a halftrack or truck, or adjacent to an ammo dump.

Engine manual page 63:

Besides the Acquire command, soldiers on the battlefield are also capable of automatically sharing ammunition to some extent with those around them. Soldiers can automatically share ammo with other nearby infantry units that belong to their formation, as well as with nearby vehicles (provided that the vehicles carry anything to share). So it is not always necessary to embark on a vehicle to access stored ammunition, although it still gives the player more direct control than auto-sharing.

I appreciate that there are contradictions in the statements above but then I don't get that bent out of shape about ammunition sharing and acquisition. If you really really want to know … test it and see what happens.

16 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Hmm, maybe I'm misunderstanding what is being said above but AFAIK to Acquire ammo a unit still mounts a transport type vehicle.  Some vehicles will share directly for a crew served weapon (HMG, mortars, etc.) if in the same platoon and in ammo sharing distance. 

I was going to post much earlier on about this. But in essence that's what I understand. Except that the heavy weapons teams (in other words any infantry that get the same details panel as vehicles do) and the vehicle do not need to be within the same sub-formation (in other words units that are also highlighted when a units selected) to share with each other. The heavy weapon teams do not pickup that ammunition either, rather than taking the ammunition, it just gets added onto the ammo count shown on the details panel only. Units need to be in the same sub-formation in order to share between other infantry types though, and that's an single magazine at an time only when within range and when that ammunitions depleted.

Might do an video some day to illustrate the different types of ammunition sharing.

Edited by Oliver_88

4 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

heavy weapons teams (in other words any infantry that get the same details panel as vehicles do) and the vehicle do not need to be within the same sub-formation (in other words units that are also highlighted when a units selected) to share with each other. 

Might do an video some day to illustrate the different types of ammunition sharing.

Interesting.  Also good idea for the video.  I had screenshots demonstrating most of this but those are buried in the forum somewhere.  .