No more light damage on modular buildings?

I just noticed that I'm not seeing any light damage on the walls of modular buildings, despite them taking lots of damage (arty, direct HE fire, etc).

Independent type buildings do get the various holes and scratches on the walls as they begin to take damage.

Has it always been like this, or was it changed?

Normally, it should go intact -> light damage -> wall blown out. I'm just seeing building walls go from intact->blown out.

(I'm playing CMFB 4.0, "best" texture quality, no mods)

I think light damage sums up internally and invisibly before the walls show blown out for modular buildings finally. I also figured  that buildings with pre damaged roofs ( ALT + SHIFT Click in 3D editor) appear to add invisble light damage to outer walls as well. Need to test again, but I think I see infantry oftentimes using invisible openings, instead of the doors with these.

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

I think light damage sums up internally and invisibly before the walls show blown out for modular buildings finally.

Oh definitely.

I also figured  that buildings with pre damaged roofs ( ALT + SHIFT Click in 3D editor) appear to add invisble light damage to outer walls as well. Need to test again, but

Let us know what you find. I am at a very reduced game computer time right now.

I think I see infantry oftentimes using invisible openings, instead of the doors with these.

I don't think that is right. We has a bug logged (reported here during the demo) where soldiers were going through a gap in the join between two modules. That has been fixed but it is possible that there are issues left. I am pretty sure that soldiers should only go through a totally destroyed wall. Pretty sure :)

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Oh definitely.

Let us know what you find. I am at a very reduced game computer time right now.

I don't think that is right. We has a bug logged (reported here during the demo) where soldiers were going through a gap in the join between two modules. That has been fixed but it is possible that there are issues left. I am pretty sure that soldiers should only go through a totally destroyed wall. Pretty sure :)

I have noticed that those annoying gaps that are present where modular buildings are joined are a lot more noticeable in industrial complexes where the internal walls have been removed. (The gaps are the same width as the thickness of the internal wall). FYI Ian it's the same in Final Blitzkreig  too. I haven't checked the other titles but I suspect it's a common fault in all the games. Will they be also fixed in the 4.0 patch?

1 hour ago, Hilts said:

I have noticed that those annoying gaps that are present where modular buildings are joined are a lot more noticeable in industrial complexes where the internal walls have been removed. (The gaps are the same width as the thickness of the internal wall). FYI Ian it's the same in Final Blitzkreig  too. I haven't checked the other titles but I suspect it's a common fault in all the games. Will they be also fixed in the 4.0 patch?

Not likely.  I think this is more an artifact of how the walls are created.  It is true across all titles.  It becomes more noticeable in CMSF as Ian noted, because that is all you have.  I would not expect to see this change.  And yeah the "industrial" look does accentuate it.  Partly because now you have multiple adjoining walls for it to show up and then removing walls doesn't help.  I personally don't really like the attempt for the industrial look as it isn't at all WYSIWYG.  The walls may be removed but units can not see through a building just because the walls are gone.  I tried to do that once with an ATG positioned behind a building and removed two sets of walls.  LOS did not extend and when you watch infantry move from building to building they still use what are supposed to be door locations.  The abstracted nature of interior walls just wipes the immersion for me when you see what is supposed to be a big open industrial hall and it isn't at all.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:24 PM, IanL said:

Yep, might be something else. A flavor object or another terrain object (wall, bridge...) intersecting with a building oftentimes adds unpredictable entries as well.

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

Yep, might be something else. A flavor object or another terrain object (wall, bridge...) intersecting with a building oftentimes adds unpredictable entries as well.

Hmmm, didn't know that about flavor object. Good to know for scenario making. Thanks for the heads up.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, Hilts said:

FYI Ian it's the same in Final Blitzkreig  too. I haven't checked the other titles but I suspect it's a common fault in all the games. Will they be also fixed in the 4.0 patch?

Humm I'm not sure. When I tried to recreate it (after your report a few weeks ago) I could not with a new map. So, all I could do was report the existing map with the problem you found. It is possible that older maps have the problem baked in. So, to fix them we would need each and every building that has the problem to be pointed out. Sigh.

I'll try recreating it in a few more titles just to make sure but that seems like it will not fix existing older maps.

2 hours ago, rocketman said:

Hmmm, didn't know that about flavor object. Good to know for scenario making. Thanks for the heads up.

Did I say flavor objects? Yes. But I likely erred here and I forgot why I mentioned thess. But normal terrain objects surely do. I last time saw it in Combatintman´s Assault on Point Cros mission, where the large bridge (part of the big forts front construction) cuts through two buildings. This setup blocks the normal entry points, but opens new ones at unexpected places. Yet for the mission I´d rather call it a feature as at the same time it´s a way to block doors, requiring the attacker to open these up with some explosives.

Need to test again with flavor objects. I´m currently modding some stuff (trees and high bocage) and I might have seen something not normally part of the standard game. Usually flavor objects are recognized for single pixeltroopers pathfinding, but otherwise neither offer cover, concealment, nor LOS blockade from my current experiences.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, RockinHarry said:

Did I say flavor objects? Yes. But I likely erred here and I forgot why I mentioned thess. But normal terrain objects surely do. I last time saw it in Combatintman´s Assault on Point Cros mission, where the large bridge (part of the big forts front construction) cuts through two buildings. This setup blocks the normal entry points, but opens new ones at unexpected places. Yet for the mission I´d rather call it a feature as at the same time it´s a way to block doors, requiring the attacker to open these up with some explosives.

Need to test again with flavor objects. I´m currently modding some stuff (trees and high bocage) and I might have seen something not normally part of the standard game. Usually flavor objects are recognized for single pixeltroopers pathfinding, but otherwise neither offer cover, concealment, nor LOS blockade from my current experiences.

Agreed - it is pretty random though so I don't know fully how the behaviour works - some of those buildings you can get into but, as you correctly pointed out, some you can't get into via the doors. It is one of the reasons that I created the pdf file explaining the nuances of movement commands for that scenario. The good old blast command is a more entertaining means of entry though 😏