Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yeah decent point.

on the other hand I know of another vendor recently who decided to force a password reset, sent an email notifying folks that promptly went to a spam folder and the homepage gave no mention of it.  😁😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sburke said:

Yeah decent point.

on the other hand I know of another vendor recently who decided to force a password reset, sent an email notifying folks that promptly went to a spam folder and the homepage gave no mention of it.  😁😎

LOL you reminded me because you know I'm still locked out - very cheeky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mesquite55 said:

WEll, I've tried, but it tells me my log in is incorrect.....I guess you have to have separate log ins for your account, then the message board and now help desk....I clicked forgot password and get the message password sent to my email, only it doesn';t up, and not in spam either. What a pain with this outfit.

Your Battlefront.com and your support username/e-mail and password are the same. Your forum username/e-mail and password might be different from your Battlefront.com if you setup your forum that way. They will lockout your userid if you exceed a certain number of password tries. It has happened to me, but only for about 15 minutes for the first lockout. It's actually done to PROTECT your account from hackers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I can access my account with my userid and password, but not the help desk. So I assumed I had to have a different I'd and password. I have had help from the help desk in the past, so I assumed I had setup a different password. Oh, and I think the help desk asks for an email address, which I tried both, email and userid. Anyway I click on send me an email for a password reset, and though it says it has sent it, nothing shows up. The reason I have a different userid on the message board is because it wouldn't accept my I'd used to access my account. I certainly didn't do it just to have different ID's. so I don't seem to be able to submit a ticket with the help desk. The pain  is I go thru something like this every time I've changed computers, had hardware crashes, or something else in the 12 or so years I've dealt with this company. Far more than anywhere else. If I didn't like the games I wouldn't have hung around so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a big PITA. Who keeps SN's from a decade past?

I actually did but it looks like the original CMSF_Marines_Bundle SN isn't working. I presume this is what I got when I first bought the game ages ago as I sill have the SNs and orders from the British/NATO modules.

When I go into the new website and look at my purchases not all of my previous purchases were migrated from the old site to the new one. Looks like anything before a cutoff date didn't get migrated.

I created a support ticket and will wait-I'm sure the 1 or 2 persons working it are swamped-if they haven't gone home for the night already.

Well at least Strategic Command World at War is out tomorrow and I know that won't be a problem to install, activate and play....

Edited by db_zero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mesquite55 said:

Well, I can access my account with my userid and password, but not the help desk. So I assumed I had to have a different I'd and password. I have had help from the help desk in the past, so I assumed I had setup a different password. Oh, and I think the help desk asks for an email address, which I tried both, email and userid. Anyway I click on send me an email for a password reset, and though it says it has sent it, nothing shows up. The reason I have a different userid on the message board is because it wouldn't accept my I'd used to access my account. I certainly didn't do it just to have different ID's. so I don't seem to be able to submit a ticket with the help desk. The pain  is I go thru something like this every time I've changed computers, had hardware crashes, or something else in the 12 or so years I've dealt with this company. Far more than anywhere else. If I didn't like the games I wouldn't have hung around so long.

I'm now having the same problem while trying to track a ticket I sent in last night. IIRC, BFC used to have an automated response saying they got your ticket and would contact you. It said I have to login to track the ticket, but when I do, it won't accept any info. Plus no e-mails when trying to reset my PW. Guess I'll have to send a ticket complaining about not being able to track a ticket. BFC might have gone to a new type of support response network and not changed the existing web site. That is not unusual for a three or four person company. If I don't get at least an acknowledgement of my request by tomorrow, I'll just pursue another avenue that I might have.

Edited by Vet 0369

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, db_zero said:

What a big PITA. Who keeps SN's from a decade past?

I actually did but it looks like the original CMSF_Marines_Bundle SN isn't working. I presume this is what I got when I first bought the game ages ago as I sill have the SNs and orders from the British/NATO modules.

When I go into the new website and look at my purchases not all of my previous purchases were migrated from the old site to the new one. Looks like anything before a cutoff date didn't get migrated.

I created a support ticket and will wait-I'm sure the 1 or 2 persons working it are swamped-if they haven't gone home for the night already.

Well at least Strategic Command World at War is out tomorrow and I know that won't be a problem to install, activate and play....

Good lord, Keep calm and stay away from the big red button.

1 You need the base game activation if you are purchasing the upgrade

2. if you don't have your activation code BF can help you sort it out and have already done so for quite a few people.

3. a big ass meteor is coming so you better hope someone is on the helpdesk as you only have a couple days left to platy the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't be a Combat Mission game if it didn't have some issue installing. As mentioned by someone else I too have never had so many issues installing a game-this goes for just about every CM title at one point or another. I've come to expect it. I'm pretty sure the CMSF_Marines Bundle SN I have and tried to use is what I used to install Shock Force in the first place a long long time ago.

Well at least its not being flagged as malware by my AV-BTW when I plugged in my back up drive to look for the old Shock Force stuff in hopes of finding the magical key...Norton once again flagged an old Shock Force patch as malware and quarantined it...

I'm sure that in time all will be right in the galaxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it got resolved-there is an issue if you bought the CMSF_Marines Bundle and a new SN was issued and we are up and running.

You must be feeding those help desk guys a lot of Red Bull...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, db_zero said:
2 minutes ago, db_zero said:

You must be feeding those help desk guys a lot of Red Bull...

 

LOL Or something stronger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IanL said:

LOL Or something stronger.

They're all driving to Massachusetts or Canada to pick up some "special" candies and snacks:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

"special" candies and snacks🙂

Hee hee. Those don't really help keep you alert though.

Oh and just for fun please note that edables are still not legal in Canada so those are not supposed to be available yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IanL said:

Hee hee. Those don't really help keep you alert though.

Oh and just for fun please note that edables are still not legal in Canada so those are not supposed to be available yet.

Y’all need to visit here.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's two reasons for companies to have different logins for various components:

1.  Security

2.  Outsourcing

In our case it's #2.  We are too small to manage an IT infrastructure that is secure and stable, so we hire that out to larger companies.  Not surprisingly, these companies are specialized and even less surprisingly they don't have cooperative agreements between each other to share sensitive data.  Hence, each service we have has a separate login.

The alternatives are to charge a lot more for our games so we can afford the IT infrastructure and staffing, have shoddy home-built stuff that isn't very stable/secure, or not have services that make things easier/better for our customers.  Not very good choices, eh?

The thing is there is NO reason why a customer's logins have to be different for related accounts, there's NO reason a customer can't write down his info in case cookies disappear, there's NO reason a customer can't remember to update existing accounts when email addresses are changed.  Therefore, there is NO reason why this has to be such a hassle for anybody.  It's 100% within the customer's control.

As someone who also loses logins from time to time, and grumbles when I do, I sympathize with the PITA factor of logins (I have probably 50 active at any given time), but I take responsibility for my own inattentiveness or over reliance on cookies.  When I can't log into something or the emailed response goes to a dead email account, that's my fault and my fault alone.

19 hours ago, db_zero said:

What a big PITA. Who keeps SN's from a decade past?

Who allows people to update games bought a decade ago? :)

From the start we wanted to give you CMSF1 guys a break on CMSF2, but we immediately realized there would be problems like the one you have.  The choice was to either NOT offer an upgrade at all or to offer something which will work fine for 90% without assistance and 10% with some degree of assistance.  Even though this is a PITA for the 10%, and a PITA for us too, we went with the steeply discounted concept for old customers.  I think we made the right call, don't you?

Quote

When I go into the new website and look at my purchases not all of my previous purchases were migrated from the old site to the new one. Looks like anything before a cutoff date didn't get migrated.

Nope, we did migrate the keys into the licensing system which is why if you still had it (and many do) it will work.  The problem is that early sales were done using our 2nd storefront (we are currently using our 4th) which had no functionality for giving out license keys.  Therefore, we have no record at all of what keys went out to people, therefore we had nothing to migrate into the current store system.  That means if someone loses a key we have no way to look it up for them any more than they have the ability to look it up for themselves.  The system changed sometime around 2008 for most products and 2014? for all products.

I think people tend to forget how much things have changed over the 20 years of Battlefront's existence.  The technologies we take for granted now were either not available to small companies years ago or did not exist at all.  If we didn't have this annoying habit of making games people still care about 10+ years later this wouldn't be such a problem.  But we do so it is :D

Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sburke said:

Pffft too cold, California. Which makes me wonder how many pot farms are going up in all the wildfires we are having. 

They'll start growing them in the basement, that's what they are doing here in Colorado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:
20 hours ago, db_zero said:

What a big PITA. Who keeps SN's from a decade past?

Who allows people to update games bought a decade ago? :)

I've got all mine right back to the first CMBN (and some from Adobe Photoshop that are even older than that).

Yay Steve :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JohnO said:
41 minutes ago, sburke said:

Pffft too cold, California. Which makes me wonder how many pot farms are going up in all the wildfires we are having. 

They'll start growing them in the basement, that's what they are doing here in Colorado.

Up here there has been some reporting on the expected increase in food prices this winter. One of the pressures is that companies are switching their use of green houses over to growing marijuana instead of veggies. Unintended side effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Splinty said:

Pot was just legalized here in Michigan yesterday. I wonder what our unintended side effects will be.

Yeah, I'm more worried about the issues that Colorado has with smuggling "legal" pot grown there to other states where its not legal. I think we'll see that from Canada and perhaps Michigan will see the same. That probably will not settle down until all 64 continental states and provinces are in sync (49 states and 13 provinces and territories).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IanL said:

Yeah, I'm more worried about the issues that Colorado has with smuggling "legal" pot grown there to other states where its not legal. I think we'll see that from Canada and perhaps Michigan will see the same. That probably will not settle down until all 64 continental states and provinces are in sync (49 states and 13 provinces and territories).

Good point. I'm sure our surrounding states will soon see an increase of "imported" weed that was grown in Michigan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I hope it is not a problem that goes on for years and years. We had a lot of news coverage of the experience of states that legalized in the run up to our new law. Lots of really interesting issues were brought up. Another one is testing for impaired driving since there is no agreed upon test like there is for alcohol consumption. I heard an interview with a medical marijuana user that pointed out that her usage meant that she could manage her pain and go back to work but with her usage she trips the test for impaired driving even if she hasn't consumed the past 24 hours. So, legalization for her might mean no job any more. In Canada we just passed a law that says that police no longer need a reasonable suspicion that someone is impaired before demanding samples for impaired driving. I can see all kinds of unintended consequences coming out of that - plus likely constitutional challenges too.

We are going to see years of interesting problems and court case come out of this.

Oh and just for some added fun the Leader of the Opposition Conservative party will not commit publicly that he will not roll the whole thing back should he win the election in 2019. I personalty think he wouldn't dare because some former high flyers in his party are now running multi million dollar pot businesses. But you never know.

Fun times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Splinty said:

Pot was just legalized here in Michigan yesterday. I wonder what our unintended side effects will be.

well it looks like the repub administration is doing red bull instead trying to cram as much in as they can before the governor goes.  :P

and @IanL it wasn't that long ago I finally deleted my Cmx1 codes :D  

Edited by sburke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, sburke said:

well it looks like the repub administration is doing red bull instead trying to cram as much in as they can before the governor goes.  :P

and @IanL it wasn't that long ago I finally deleted my Cmx1 codes :D  

No matter how it goes, the lawyers will be pulling down big bucks as all of this winds up in the court system. As usual they are the REAL winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×