Hyena Road movie

Erwin

ok war movie, but very interesting because it features the Canadian Army in a semi-realistic scenario. I have actually seen it several times.

One interesting bit is that the director/star Paul Gross actually went to Kandahar when the Canucks were still there and filmed a lot of footage, so the footage you see from 20 to 40 minutes in on Kandahar, helicopters, life on the base is all actual footage.

The film itself was shot in Manitoba...amazing what you can do in a film. 

My fav scene is the funeral at the end..something about bagpipes...

On 2/16/2018 at 3:37 AM, dragonwynn said:

I thought it was a good movie for the most part. Another movie called A War is also worth a watch. It involves a Danish unit in Afghanistan and has a good storyline.

Michael

Watched "A War" on a SQ airlines flight. Very good. Not a huge shoot em up thrillfest, but seems pretty true to life. Arithmetic on the Frontier, except that ten rupee jazail pops you from an unexpected angle [not spoiling].

I also liked "Sand Castles", although the notion of sending 5 grunts out on platoon scale ops, repeatedly, is pretty far-fetched. Sure, forces got stretched pretty thin post OIF1 but come on....

Hyena Road in contrast is a straight up war film, taking huge liberties with both unit tactics and the basic laws of physics.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

Thanks for the recommendations.  Have both "A War" (not to be confused with Waar - apparently a Pakistani or Indian counter-terrorism show) and "Sand Castles" on my Netflix list now.  Spousal unit wants to finish binging on "The Crown" first.  (Xnt TV series about Lillebeth's early years btw!!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 10:07 AM, Erwin said:

Thanks for the recommendations.  Have both "A War" (not to be confused with Waar - apparently a Pakistani or Indian counter-terrorism show) and "Sand Castles" on my Netflix list now.  Spousal unit wants to finish binging on "The Crown" first.  (Xnt TV series about Lillebeth's early years btw!!)

Just watched Hyena Road on Netflix last night.  Good show.  Not perfect but still good to see.  I enjoyed it. 

:D The wife and I also had to catch up on "Victoria" and "The Crown" first.  Or I would have seen Hyena road sooner.  :P

Next I think I will try to watch "A War". 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...