66mm HE carried by US HQ's

Erwin

21 hours ago, Erwin said:

...the manual says those are 22mm.

This is one of those trivial matters that grogs obsess over, so my curiosity piqued, I searched through my copy of American Arsenal to see what I could find. Dimensional information is really sparse, but what I did find was that the diameter of the fins is 2.2" which according to my math is about 56.18mm. The 2.2" suspiciously resembles the 22mm quoted in the manual, so it could just be a matter of human confusion.

Michael

It might be the diameter of the grenade itself, which to me looks a little larger than the fins. That would make sense if the UI is trying to give us some idea of the explosive impact the grenade will make, which is at least somewhat related to the size of the warhead.

The "22mm" could refer to the base tube that fits over the barrel of the rifle, which apparently was 22mm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22_mm_grenade

On 2/21/2017 at 10:44 AM, Erwin said:

"Manual in error...!!!"  We have sarcastic discussions about people not bothering to read the manual.  I knew there was a good reason why most folks prefer to simply ask here on these forums for accurate and up to date info.  Thank you...

Wow, so one minor error in the manual means we should just toss it out the window now? :rolleyes:

Guys,

I think I may have an answer, and you're not going to like it. 66 mm is the diameter of the LAW rocket. Given this, there's a possibility some oddment of data found its way into the manual from CMSF. I checked here, and the M72A7 LAW is definitely in that sim. Knowing what I know about US weaponry in small units of WW II, I instead posit the correct measurement should be 60 mm and that it's bazooka ammo with a generic description (HE instead of HEAT, which still is HE). I base this on HQs holding several bazookas which are available either for self-defense or parceling out as needed to subordinate forces.

Regards,

John Kettler 

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Wow, so one minor error in the manual means we should just toss it out the window now? :rolleyes:

Course not, Luke.  That would make as much sense as snippity complaints when people ask questions on these forums when instead they could spend an hour or two trying to find the answer in the manual - ignoring the fact that the manual could be wrong.  So, QED it's best to ask for info on these forums as some bright spark wil know the correct answer without all the frustration.  Win-win...   :unsure:

As a CM Tester plz let us know the answer to this 66mm puzzle... 

On February 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM, John Kettler said:

I think I may have an answer, and you're not going to like it. 66 mm is the diameter of the LAW rocket. Given this, there's a possibility some oddment of data found its way into the manual from CMSF. I checked here, and the M72A7 LAW is definitely in that sim. Knowing what I know about US weaponry in small units of WW II, I instead posit the correct measurement should be 60 mm and that it's bazooka ammo with a generic description (HE instead of HEAT, which still is HE). I base this on HQs holding several bazookas which are available either for self-defense or parceling out as needed to subordinate forces.

John, I fear that on this occasion your reasoning has led you astray. The image in the GUI is definitely of a HEAT rifle grenade. There was also an AP fragmentation rifle grenade that as far as I have been able to discover is based on the hand grenade. The latter is not pictured in the GUI; I assume that like with some other munitions in CM, it is simply assumed that the grenadier is able to switch to whichever type he wishes to use without any of the limitations a real-world counterpart would experience. The choice of which one to picture is a little odd, since as far as I know the fragmentation grenade was used far more often than the anti-armor version, but then it probably saves BFC from having to explain why a fragmentation grenade is achieving penetration of tank armor.

:D

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

2 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

John, I fear that on this occasion your reasoning has led you astray. The image in the GUI is definitely of a HEAT rifle grenade. There was also an AP fragmentation rifle grenade that as far as I have been able to discover is based on the hand grenade. The latter is not pictured in the GUI; I assume that like with some other munitions in CM, it is simply assumed that the grenadier is able to switch to whichever type he wishes to use without any of the limitations a real-world counterpart would experience. The choice of which one to picture is a little odd, since as far as I know the fragmentation grenade was used far more often than the anti-armor version, but then it probably saves BFC from having to explain why a fragmentation grenade is achieving penetration of tank armor.

:D

Michael

AT rifle grenades are shown by icon under special equipment.  HE-Frag rifle grenades (or HEDP in modern) are just listed under squad ammo, like hand grenades.  These are separate items (i.e. the AT rifle grenade icon can be gone, but the squad still has HE rifle grenades).