Next Generation Bradley demonstrator

Ivanov

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, damn, I forgot the Javelins.

Okay, here we go, final, final design spec: an amphibious, air-droppable Abrams tank that carries an infantry squad and has an 81mm mortar and a VLS for Javelins.

I'm ambivalent about the stretcher bay. I wasn't impressed with the Stryker ambulance.

Edited by Jammersix

Specifics:

Amphibious: capable of reaching 25 knots in any seas, capable of being launched from any ship serving in the U.S. Navy from over the horizon.

Air droppable: from C-130s. Real grunts do not recognize any other aircraft.

Abrams: as in M1A2.

Infantry squad: 11 man light infantry version. We might need some kind of small, squad-sized galley.

81mm mortar: with 128 rounds of HE, WP, Cluster and illumination ammo.

Javelin VLS: capable of independant launch of up to twenty missiles.

I trust this puts this subject to rest.

P.S. oh, and improve off road top speed, protection and rate of fire for the main gun.

Edited by Jammersix
Added P.S.

Why dont we just attach some delta wings to it for sex appeal and upgrade the abrams turbines by like a thousand fold and make it a heavy hovertank. With a heater, mini fridge, and access to netflix so you can " netflix and chill " between firefights with new female infantrywomen...

Also a razor blade dispenser. So the wookies can shave their beard ( sry for the usmc term )

Edited by Sublime

2 hours ago, Jammersix said:

So now that we have a house battery bank, I'm thinking some kind of heater for winter.

Which could also double up as a microwave/hotplate to warm up the chow coming from the 'fridge.

But also, I am already beginning design work on a kind of dirigible to haul this monster around. It would have to be armored (natch) and armed (natch) and fast. Of course it would also have to be lightweight, so I figure constructing it from titanium and composites is the way to go. Composites would also keep it stealthy (gotta be stealthy if you want to sell it to the Pentagon these days). Design is ongoing at this stage.

Michael

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Which could also double up as a microwave/hotplate to warm up the chow coming from the 'fridge.

But also, I am already beginning design work on a kind of dirigible to haul this monster around. It would have to be armored (natch) and armed (natch) and fast. Of course it would also have to be lightweight, so I figure constructing it from titanium and composites is the way to go. Composites would also keep it stealthy (gotta be stealthy if you want to sell it to the Pentagon these days). Design is ongoing at this stage.

Michael

When I showed up to Korea, I was stashed in the BN S3 shop until a Company Command opened up.  At the time, we had a short squad's worth of Captains there, which is well and truly more than anyone actually needs (in reality, it should have been two captains, the assistant operations officer and BN Planner, then the BN Fire Support Officer and Engineer Officer, instead we had six of us random 11/19 series Captains, then the engineering officer plus the FSO).

Because of this, we actually had two offices for the maneuver guys, the "primary" one for the long term been in Korea 6+ month guys who were as a rule:

a. Not eligible for command (either hadn't gone to school yet, or were far down enough in terms of seniority to make staying in Korea two years to take command unattractive)
b. Overworked and underloved
c. Pretty much the reason anything happened ever.

The secondary one was for weirdos or for people like me who were weirdos, but also had command slots.

Within this office there was:

1. Me.  Fresh out of Captain's Career Course, angry to be in Korea, about to be selected for Company Command (but no one bothered to tell me this until months later), trying to dump all the Cav-isms I'd learned and remember how to tank.

2. The engineer, a smart, slightly unhinged man who I am fairly certain was recruited by offering him explosives (we got along smashingly)

3. The Dinosaur

The Dinosaur needs more elaboration.  He was in no uncertain terms, a dinosaur.  While only a Captain, he'd served alongside our Brigade Commander as an M1IP tank platoon leader in 3 ID in 1986 on the IGB.  He'd left active duty sometime in the mid 90's, done some civilian stuff while staying in the Guard, then gone off to be a instructor at the Saudi Military academy.  Then when the Army needed literally every and any officer with a pulse in the mid 2000's he showed up and the Army took him back onto active duty, no questions asked.

He was in many ways...one of those guys who exists outside of normal Army.  I won't claim to have been a hard charger awesome guy, I'm too lazy for that, and get bored easily.  But I can't remember this guy doing any actual work.  As far as I could tell he'd found this weird eye of the storm inside one of the most insane organizations the Army ever fielded, and he simply rested comfortably in his little chair, emitting ideas.

I forget how the conversation started.  It likely occurred as I was avoiding the good idea fairy, or had been banished from the bitter Captain office for still having hope or something.  The Dinosaur mentioned an article he'd published in the Armor branch magazine back in the day.  I only knew the Dinosaur was old at this point, and harbored no special prejudices.  He dug through the google, eventually finding the article, asked me to read it, and to tell me what I thought.

Firstly, I recognized it'd been published when I was still harboring dreams of being an F-22 astronaut ninja pilot (circa 1995 or so).  Secondly as time went on I realized something:

He was advocating making armor units airmobile via blimps.  Each blimp would carry a platoon or enough supplies to keep a Company in combat for a day.  Swooping in at a blistering 25 MPH, massive helium filled bags would deposit the armored might of America on foreign shores.  

And it did have a logic of sorts:

A. Blimps could land cargo anywhere, they don't need a runway or even much of a DZ
B. In terms of cost per pound lifted, they were pretty inexpensive.
C. The enemy would literally likely spend several hours just going "what the hell?"

On the downside, it was a blimp, motoring along leisurely, and achieving frankly massive size to support 300+tons of cargo.

I looked up from the article.  Not sure what to say.  I don't remember my exact reply, but it must have sounded enthusiastic enough to earn his trust for further voyages into madness.  

Ether way, every time I see a blimp, I can't help but hum a little ride of the Valkyries for the Dinosaur, and imagine America's airborne panzer legions.