Wittmans Demise: Amazing Movie!

The maker used some original methods, which superbly explained the the flow of the battle - no easy task given its size. It's a shame the video has only had a 147 views, he'd probably get far more if he posted it on YouTube.

I played out Wittmann's Demise last year H2H, and managed to make it to the end with Black Knight alive and kicking.

SPOLIER: I adopted very different tactics though to the film maker. I almost totally avoided the centre apprach across the large wideopen field in the middle where Wittman met his demise in RL. Instead, I assaulted the Canadian Sherman's head on over to the far left with the Tigers (the advantage being the tigers flanks are protected when attacking along the left flank due to the terrain), eventually breaking through the Cabadian lines and enabling me to swing my tiger assault right. Meanwhile over on the far right, when the reinforcements arrived, I pushed the grenadiers supported by panthers and MkIVs through the apple orchards and and on into the village.

Superb.

I liked the use of force. 

The Tigers defeated the initial force on the right flank.  (yes, this was a gamble--could have lost key units to a lucky shell)(understand why going left flank would be attractive, though the OP did screen that side well)

The infantry and non-Tigers pursued the fragmented remaining forces.

Simple infantry assaults on tanks were not very effective, but panzershrecks were.

Nice demonstration of German TDs.

I would be interested in what BH and other experts thought of the conceptual plan.

Can't imagine actually taking the time to actually play the scenario, though.  Took them 5, my guess is very dedicated, months.

The maker used some original methods, which superbly explained the the flow of the battle - no easy task given its size. It's a shame the video has only had a 147 views, he'd probably get far more if he posted it on YouTube.

I played out Wittmann's Demise last year H2H, and managed to make it to the end with Black Knight alive and kicking.

SPOLIER: I adopted very different tactics though to the film maker. I almost totally avoided the centre apprach across the large wideopen field in the middle where Wittman met his demise in RL. Instead, I assaulted the Canadian Sherman's head on over to the far left with the Tigers (the advantage being the tigers flanks are protected when attacking along the left flank due to the terrain), eventually breaking through the Cabadian lines and enabling me to swing my tiger assault right. Meanwhile over on the far right, when the reinforcements arrived, I pushed the grenadiers supported by panthers and MkIVs through the apple orchards and and on into the village.

I agree, they should upload it to Youtube.  Since people search Wittmann all the time I am sure it would get plenty of views and Battlefront would probably even get more sales, as many have no idea this lovely game is out there.

I thought this was excellent. Great to see how someone goes about playing this. Must admit is approach was similar to my own when I played H2H. It's worth running through the opening moves recreating Wittmann's attack (or let the AI do it - there are instructions in the designer notes about which AI Plan best recreates the actual German attack) and see just how much of an ambush he ran into.

Oh it can also give you an insight into who killed Wittmann (I went to great lengths to ensure as much topographical accuracy as I could given the scenario editor limitations so it's as close as close can be to a 70 year old battlefield). Given the set-ups of both the Brits (Ekins) and the Canadians (Radley Walters) either or both could have fired the killing shot. Still check it out for yourself.

This film is well worth checking out even if just for the innovative techniques used. Does anyone know if the chap involved is on this forum at all?

Watched it for the second time now. Still fascinated. Before the Panthers arrive on the right side, the PzIVs are in a firefight. Do I see this correctly that a single shot penetrates two PzIVs? (around the 10 minute mark)

I saw that, and rewound it a few times. I  = think =  that the round went over the first one and struck the cupola of the second.

• 3 weeks later...