Because Bradley

Jammersix

I believe something simple, in bronze, something tasteful, no more than three stories high, no more than eight Bradleys and four Abrams is appropriate. Lights, of course, at night.

I would prefer to forego a plinth and have a small park, perhaps six acres, no more than ten, with a football grid, a baseball diamond and some basic concession stands.

Out of respect for the dead, the concession stands should be closed during the Saturday night fireworks displays.

And Ill be interested to see tonight how many dead there are for you. I assume the casualties are very heavy mine certainly were. good game. Of course we.ll now see what you can do on larger maps :) sorry about last night i literally fell asleep on my keyboard

Jammersix,

Your victory monument post is not only a true CM classic, but has excellent analgesic properties to boot! Would've laughed quite loudly had I not a roomie just down the hall. Appreciate unexpected release of endorphins and enkalphins!

Sublime,

I very much want to see the respective casualty lists and such. 

Regards,

John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...

uh i was born in the 80s and been playing cm since the beta demo and reading articles stunned that they could run troops on the river cuz the ice was frozen. dont know whatcha mean there man... atvthe time the closest thing we had was close combat and the best by far was cc2. i liked three just bc it was ost front but the campaign was silly and Germans fairly overpowered. cc4 sucked i thought. regardless i grew absolutely disgusted with the close combat designers who start actively trolling these boards in a very childish manner, eventually were banned and kept reappearing under alias screennames at the time i was sixeen or seventern and was amazed at how juvenile they were acting.

as a matter of fact since you say everyone involved when did you start playing cm? because ive been arnd this board longer than 90% here. maybe more. i like red because its much more rewarding to get kills and wins with red thats why i like ukr as blue. thats all. if you re talking real life im american and son of a career air force officer who flew combat missions over vietnam in a phantom. would that answer your ideations as to where my sympathies vis a vis red vs blue lie? i was born near rammstein afb ( landstuhl army post) in 85 i would have been irradiated ashes thanks to the GSFG so Im not honestly thw biggest fan of the soviet union or putins more or less open attempts to revive a neo soviet state. that and all that blathwr abt we wouldnt have won ww2 without the soviets. yes they did the bleeding. they also conveniently forget they were on the bad guys side and cosigned what started the war in the first place and effectively occupied eastern europe by brutal force for 40 yrs post war. the only reason theyre remembered as good guys in that war is hitler invaded them. because before that they most definitely were damned near axis members.

yes i run windows. i wudnt even bother with an apple. the yuppie device of choice. uppity apple users...

oh mercy, I was a huge CC fan since CC1 though my love started to wain around CC4. the title is just laughworthy nowadays with their "new releases".

that said, that anecdote about the devs stirring up trouble is shocking to me.  I was a longtime member of the SSI boards and even a contributor to some mods (though I never got any official nods like some of the more prolific modders did like gs_marcks and others getting thanks in the notes of CC4 and CC5). That's sad to hear!

It was years ago, like ten to twelve years ago, but yes sadly the main programmer developer dude kept showing up here and trolling it was rlly pathetic and i was rlly disappointed. Cc2 was my all time fav i mean cc3 was awesome with the ost front but its linear campaign compared to cc2? Meh. Fond memories of playing the entire  cc3 campaign against ppl on saturdays and sundays when i was 14/15 though.

That said IIRC the guys name was doug or something and got banned under different screennames several times. Sad.

Edited by Sublime

just played through valley of death again, much more successful. didn't lose much of anything (until i decided to counter attack past the valley)

however, I did find my Bradleys really didn't like firing their TOW missiles. they fired them when the enemy T90s were on the other end of the map, but when ranges were a few hundred meters, i didn't see much of it. they generally preferred plunking away with their autocannons. got the battle saved right before the assault from the T90s so I'm going to be repeating the test

I have the same problem though i can understand why the programmers gave difficulty. Its i herently difficult to get an ai who chooses when its right to use autocannon vs missiles and if you apply some hard rule youd always get ridiculous results sometimes. I especially have the problem with BMP2Ms which really really defang the damned things whereas if I ever had seen one shoot a kornet theyd be pretty scary.

In fact Ive only had one BMP shoot an atgm, which missed, and it was a Ukrainian BMP. Ive seen one tank fire an GLATGM once. Again a Ukrainian vehicle, a Bulat.

I have had a few times where Bradleys fired TOW 2s.

must be a range thing

bradleys CAN defeat/damage/disrupt heavy enemy tanks from close up with their cannon so they seem content with it. It's too bad they don't just fire a full salvo, disrupt optics/ERA with cannon and whilst doing this, fire off an ATGM. they only seem to use their missiles at range.

Well even though its rare to fire missiles Ive still seen it happen with Bradleys never with a BMP. Bradleys cannons are very much a threat to Russian armor since their sides can be penetrated whereas BMP cannons.. do nothing against Abrams and therefore the issue is much more noticeable.

Yeah except bradleys dont really equal win at all. Theres no sure win formula. Even in the game which will not be named against a banned player. He used the map edge then made a right turn to use the map end to screen his flank whole time. And he basically won. Though at the cost of 6-8 abrams before he stopped sending turns and the battle wasnt over. And im pretty sure without map edge hugging and the choice of map and it being an one off thing i could have proven the US wasnt the uber team he swore it was. That is of course without him rage quitting or whatever happened. And yes i have saves and screens ill gladly show anyone privately if they dont believe me.

Anyways bradleys abrams or whatever dont equal win. Certain weapons help things but any weapon has a flaw and anything is susceptible to plain bad luck. Just like someone mentioned they didnt see the point of artificial firing range tests that ran tests hundreds of times for one weapon i dont understand the obsession with a large number of people to almost kill the suspension of disbelief that is the point of game's graphics and everything else - to hide the fact that its an elaborate set of numbers, and reduce the game back to a set of numbers and formulas. Likewise i dont see why people are playing an elaborate strategy game and endlessly search for a uber weapon formula where they wont need to use tactics or their brain and all and simply drive into the enemy head on. Kind of kills the point of combined arms and variety of weapons.

Indeed, there is no such thing as an uber weapon. and if there where you can bet some one would develop a counter for it! That is the nature of warfare. You have 8foot long spears, we come up with 18foot long pikes, and so on and so on. The thing is to learn how to play on your forces strengths vis a vis your opponents forces.

Even in the game which will not be named against a banned player. He used the map edge then made a right turn to use the map end to screen his flank whole time. And he basically won. Though at the cost of 6-8 abrams before he stopped sending turns and the battle wasnt over. And im pretty sure without map edge hugging and the choice of map and it being an one off thing i could have proven the US wasnt the uber team he swore it was. That is of course without him rage quitting or whatever happened. And yes i have saves and screens ill gladly show anyone privately if they dont believe me.

Sublime stop lying to the good people of this forum. You have increased your kill count at least three folds. From what can be seen in those four turns that were recorded and put on youtube- you got rekt. In four minutes you sustained pretty serious casualties. As for the lack of turns- he adjusted his turn rate to yours and thats a turn every two days.

I also apologise in advance if this means I am featuring a banned forum member. Thats is not the intention of this post.

Sublime stop lying to the good people of this forum.

As for the lack of turns- he adjusted his turn rate to yours and thats a turn every two days

Well that is pretty out of line. And how do you know anything about turn rates? Could this account just be a sock puppet for said banned member? 

If my account were a sock puppet don't you think I would be banned. Instead I got what amounts to a warning point from Steve. As for the turn rates and what actually happens in said battle- I am privy to that information because we live in the same town and go running almost every day together.