Because Bradley

Jammersix

Jammersix,

Since you've given me such a great lead in, what happens if you play Blue on Blue, with mirrored forces both of which have Bradleys? What then?! There is nothing about a Bradley which inherently guarantees victory to the owning side. For every measure, there is a countermeasure. If you don't believe me, see how well your fancy thermals work in the face of standard Russian artillery smoke. I speak from bitter experience here. Partial though they may be, Sublime's smokescreens are really screwing things up for me, and I have the Bradleys.

The American way of war is predicated on getting long range kills, so what happens when the LOS is dramatically reduced and your force is badly outnumbered? You may (note conditional) own the battlefield at long range, but when the range comes down, then what? Numbers tell. Angles tell. Scoured optics,electro-optics, radio and data links  tell. Your opponent doesn't have to kill your Bradley to take it out of the fight, just cut it up enough that it ceases to be combat effective. The US Army, for all its might and technical prowess, understands and teaches the crews the Bradley isn't invincible, that it is anything but and needs to be used accordingly. If you think the Bradley is unbeatable in CMBS, I believe you are in for a rude awakening. There is no such thing as a perfect weapon, and rest assured, the Bradley has its faults and exploitable weaknesses. Using just what's in the Russian inventory now, never mind what's coming. After seeing Bradley performance vs tanks in ODS, were I the Russians, I'd would've long ago fielded DU APDS for all my 30 mm 2A42 "woodpeckers." There's nothing magic about the Bradley. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Stagler,

While that's news to me, and clearly needs to be fixed, Bradley's certainly are vulnerable to direct fire. For all the impressive ERA on a Bradley in CMBS, a 9M119M Refleks from one of Sublime's T-90AMs went right through the front of my Bradley. Kaboom!!! Somehow, I suspect a great many other Russian HEAT warheads could do something similar. Also, there are several insurgent videos showing Bradleys being destroyed in all sorts of ways. Since Sublime has been killing my Bradleys with tank fire, I believe, I can't speak to 2A42 and 2A72 auto cannon performance against it. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Jammersix,

Since you've given me such a great lead in, what happens if you play Blue on Blue, with mirrored forces both of which have Bradleys? What then?!

You might want to think that through, John.

I'll concede a small re-wording, though: whoever wins will have the Bradleys.

I almost always play as Russians. Recently with the loss of 8 T90s 2 khriz and some men i got a total Russ victory against a very ezperienced opponent. Wiped out his infantry, killed six abrams ( a few catastrophically) and 8 bradleys. In several other PBEMs Bradleys are the easiest ATGM and tank targets its the Abrams that are the really satisfying kills. I completely disagree with Jammersixes assesment.

Jammersix,

You make an excellent straight man! So , I simply must ask how true your statement is if there's a draw?!

Sublime,

Glad you accepted my invitation to stop by and respond! Do you have any experience with 2A42 or 2A72 fire vs the Bradley? Now that I've learned those autocannon have APDS, my expectations have risen accordingly. Concerning the latter, which I've just learned is a simplified product improved 2A42 equivalent, there's this fine slow motion segment.

Regards,

John Kettler

why cant you play us man? i actually was hoping you.d pull my card on it.

Kettler whilst the bradley is actually a nasty experience even to side armor of russian mbts which is a serious threat because to combat abrams you want to get close in tunguskas will shred it. ags' will pound it not penetrate probably but really lay on subsystem damage. bmps easily deal with them but like every russian vehicle in the gamw its a question of who spots whom first. you want attention drawn one waybthen have armor or ifvs appear on the flank or rear. or key hole positions they drive into or my favorite a tank parked next to a building or a bmp thatll pop a round into it at a 90 degree angle.

By far though - and my tanks do kill alot of bradleys - their most major concern is at14/13s. ironically i seem to lose more khriz to bradleys than abrams. jammer if u dont have the game then what exactly are u even basing your argument on exactly? the AT 14 of course is the best atgm used by men on the russian side by i always make sure to have at13s as well because they can be shoulder fired frm the hip and have a *20* second bldg deploy time. thats no joke when it takes 2.3 for mgs and grenade launchers etc

Because I have never been able to get a PBEM game to work with Black Sea.

I've put in three tickets on it, and it has been "referred to the Mac programmer" for suggestion.

That luminary has yet to contact me or respond.

Battlefront is not interested in fixing the problem. They have a long history of this behavior, going back to Combat Mission 1.0. (Now everyone currently involved will point out that they weren't born when Combat Mission 1.0 was released. While that may be true, the lack of support has been present in every single release since then.)

One has merely to recall the 81% bug in Shock Force, the furor it caused, to recognize the pattern.

hmm all my pbems except two have workd and one was just one file. experience against the AI means nothing. I could just play any mission as US buy brads and abrams issue regular move orders tk the other side of the map and win every battle.

Itd never happen against the least competent human and id humiliate you if u did it that simply if i was russians. it is a shame. if u wanna exchange ips ill gladly prove u wrong tho if pbem doesnt work

uh i was born in the 80s and been playing cm since the beta demo and reading articles stunned that they could run troops on the river cuz the ice was frozen. dont know whatcha mean there man... atvthe time the closest thing we had was close combat and the best by far was cc2. i liked three just bc it was ost front but the campaign was silly and Germans fairly overpowered. cc4 sucked i thought. regardless i grew absolutely disgusted with the close combat designers who start actively trolling these boards in a very childish manner, eventually were banned and kept reappearing under alias screennames at the time i was sixeen or seventern and was amazed at how juvenile they were acting.

as a matter of fact since you say everyone involved when did you start playing cm? because ive been arnd this board longer than 90% here. maybe more. i like red because its much more rewarding to get kills and wins with red thats why i like ukr as blue. thats all. if you re talking real life im american and son of a career air force officer who flew combat missions over vietnam in a phantom. would that answer your ideations as to where my sympathies vis a vis red vs blue lie? i was born near rammstein afb ( landstuhl army post) in 85 i would have been irradiated ashes thanks to the GSFG so Im not honestly thw biggest fan of the soviet union or putins more or less open attempts to revive a neo soviet state. that and all that blathwr abt we wouldnt have won ww2 without the soviets. yes they did the bleeding. they also conveniently forget they were on the bad guys side and cosigned what started the war in the first place and effectively occupied eastern europe by brutal force for 40 yrs post war. the only reason theyre remembered as good guys in that war is hitler invaded them. because before that they most definitely were damned near axis members.

yes i run windows. i wudnt even bother with an apple. the yuppie device of choice. uppity apple users...

Edited by Sublime

Not sure what that means. I have several opponents that use Macs and we have never hit any show stopper problems. I an sorry to hear you are hitting problems but there they are not wide spread. Have you posted on the self help tech forum? It could be that other Mac users would be helpful.

Note if you already have I may have missed it since I do not follow those sub forums fully.

Edited to add. Yep there you are active in the support forum never mind :)

Edited by IanL

Actually, if you don't run a Mac, you know that you have "several" Mac opponents.

You don't know how wide-spread the problem is.

If I'm the only one having problems, (I'm not, I'm just the most vocal) then it's obviously something with my computer, and I'd be interested in help fixing it, from any source.

Bradleys can destroy whole combined arms offensives  :D

At the very least single Bradley destroyed all my tanks. Frontally. Those poor thanks were not even able to see it from something like few hundred meters away. 25mm cannon surely is effective.  Also I have to say Russian optic sucks; I would see target like that with naked eye. Its shooting my tanks, not hiding!

well thats anecdotal. ive had 20+ pbems where brad sdid damage but suffered most from atgms and tanks. then abrams. latest russian total vixtory a few atgm teams. like 8 btr82as, 8 t90ams and 2 khriz. in exchange us surrender for all inf dead 8 brads dead and 6 abrams dead. another time defending with btr tac grp and t90As we ceasefired and i lost but thiugh i lost one khriz several btr82as and about 10 t90as i killed sixteen bradleys and four abrams. and every battle i get better. and i play against numerous opponents just normal pbem rules and no aps. the opponent i mentioned both battles just now is an excellent cm player (nidan1) and did a tour of duty in vietnam late 66 to 67 and saw heavy combat. my bmps routinely kill bradleys too. people are playing the russians wrong so if somekne wants to do a dar and ill help them and the community with my non gamey method of combating and winninh or at least really giving the US a bloody nose pm me. Id like to add that the geeat thing about CM is that jusy like real life you can do everything right amd lose terribly.sometimes life makes a joke of ur existence it seems