Somebody's Hero - A CAAR

Telling this one from the first person perspective I see and using some actual Russian words!  Maybe we will learn to swear in Russian by the end of this CAAR.  (Might have to include a rating on the cover)  PG13 or whatever. :P   

Be careful of that barn.  My experience is that barns offer concealment but are basically death traps that provide little cover.  However your opponent may have trouble area targeting the barn due to the wheat field.  Good luck.  See you in Berlin.       

Telling this one from the first person perspective I see and using some actual Russian words! Maybe we will learn to swear in Russian by the end of this CAAR. (Might have to include a rating on the cover) PG13 or whatever. :P

Be careful of that barn. My experience is that barns offer concealment but are basically death traps that provide little cover. However your opponent may have trouble area targeting the barn due to the wheat field. Good luck. See you in Berlin.

Unfortunately, the wheat field does not extend south of the barn toward German lines, only north towards ours. So we can get there, but not easily pass it.

You can see that here, where the cratered yellow field east and north is what Dima and Sasha will be running through. South and west is grass.

Still, Dima doesn't need to get any closer. He can hit a target easily at 200m :D

And yes, I wanted this to be a CAAR that is more a story, with a principal character to follow through a part of the war in the east. Kohl is already cooking up cool ideas to torture poor Dmitry with!

Edited by Bud_B

Very cool.  You keep getting more and more detailed.  Even using German and Russian words for the troops!  It is amazing the creativity the Combat Mission series of games sparks.     

Thank you :D

I wanted to make the two sides more clearly delineated in terms of dialogue and the two simplest things are to actually use proper language, and to use different colours - with my Russians' the text balloons having a decidedly crimson hue. ;)

As I develop my own style for this, I've had to make my own graphics from scratch as well - so the "Whizz" onomatopoeia is something I devised for this comic. :)

And yes, Combat Mission is a great inspiration - if you like telling stories, you can certainly find them in the game. :D

Edited by Bud_B

Oh Good Lord...a freaking Panther.  That ain't good.

I can't recall if Sgt. Rock's comics used much German in them.  Guess I'll have to pull out some of them and check, heh heh.

Nice choice of screen shots Bud.  You are absolutely right about the stories telling themselves.  I would start out with a simple cast of characters for an AAR using the names of the officers or squad leaders in CMBB or CMAK, and then the stories sort of took off by themselves as the game played out. 

Heinrich505

I can't recall if Sgt. Rock's comics used much German in them.  Guess I'll have to pull out some of them and check, heh heh.

Nice choice of screen shots Bud.  You are absolutely right about the stories telling themselves.  I would start out with a simple cast of characters for an AAR using the names of the officers or squad leaders in CMBB or CMAK, and then the stories sort of took off by themselves as the game played out. 

Heinrich505

Thanks, Heinrich. Getting a good screenshot is something I'm still learning to do. Making sure there is enough situational awareness for the reader, as well as some dramatic scenes and pleasing vistas requires a lot of replays but when you put it together I think it looks pretty decent.

A panther is VERY bad news. As bad as chainsaw in a bare knuckle brawl... When I played the AI in this map (my first game as the Russians; this fight is my second! Eeek!) it chose a StuG, which was no match for my T34. Kohl must have thought I had it too easy.

I think he overcompensated. ;)

LOL.  Heinrich,  I was so impressed with the detail and the German and Russian phrases in the dialog bubbles that I completely overlooked the tactical problem until reminded by your post.  A freaking PANTHER! :o   

I was so impressed with the detail and the German and Russian phrases in the dialog bubbles that I completely overlooked the tactical problem until reminded by your post. A freaking PANTHER! :o

If you missed the Big Bad Cat for all those reasons, I must be doing something right! Thank you, you have no idea how nice that was to read. :) Edited by Bud_B

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work.  I am glad to see the fight is still on!  After the appearance of the "freaking Panther" (as Heinrich 505 would say  :) ) and the pause in posting I was afraid Sasha was a martyred Hero of the Motherland.  Maybe Sasha can get the Panther to button up even if the TC is not outright KIA.  Then your unbuttoned T-34/85 might get a spotting advantage on the Panther and thereby get the first shot. Good luck with that. :P   

Sasha is just there to watch Dima doesn't get blindsided when he's sniping. :P

Yeah, getting a good shot at the Panther commander is the goal, but there are a lot of German infantry protecting it. Tough to do with them shooting at any infantry showing their heads. Might have to do a little clearing of the riff-raff around the tank first. ;)