Somebody's Hero - A CAAR

Very nice. I like the translation under the comic photo. Also going (fading) to black & white at the end was a nice touch. It will be interesting to see where Dima reappears in October 1944........

Thanks!!!

I don't know if people realize it, but the translations are not in all cases literal. The Russians do not say literally "piece of cake," but rather, "easy steamed turnips." I try to find the idiomatic equivalent that we can relate to.

The fading from/to black and white at the beginning/end was something that had me worried. I wanted it to not be jarring, but to,fade from and to history. Nice to hear it worked, thank you very much.

Serzhant Ivanov will be back....

Edited by Bud_B

Very cool nicely done! I kept thinking that the T34 would save you and take out the guys heading for the barn. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a script and have to let the action unfold. Sometimes the ending comes early.

Thanks, Ian.

I knew I was in trouble from the moment I saw the Panther. It was able to shoot almost everywhere on the map, and the few places it could not left my T34 utterly useless, cowering in the shadows. Honestly, it was a slaughter.

In the end, Dima caused more casualties than the rest of the force. Not a planned outcome but he was the only one who deployed, and found targets. The rest of the force was being shelled the moment they exposed themselves to shoot. That Panther was damned good!

On the other hand, it took no staging to have Dima pick off one German after another. Getting the different screenshots of them falling in battle was....most satisfying! :D

Edited by Bud_B

Bud,

Really nice.  SKA-DOOOM indeed - must have been red crosses everywhere.  I am pretty sure that is the very sound when my T-34s blow sky high in-game.  Very distressing.

I too, liked the fade to black and white.  +1 to MOS's comment.  It quickly translated the reader to the more somber mood with the wounding of the two main characters.

I am afraid you have hooked many of us in and we will now be expecting regular editions.  You have only yourself to blame, haha.

I remember how I would get my Sgt. Rock comic in the mail every month.  I am pretty sure the frigging mail man read it before me, as it sometimes had a slightly used look to it.  I would deliberately wait to read it for a few days, knowing that as soon as I had finished it, I'd have to wait another whole month for the next one.  I couldn't help but eagerly fly through them.  Then the waiting and anticipation started all over again.

You've got some good stuff here.  I guess we have to wait now for the next one...  :D  

Heinrich505 

Bud,

Really nice.  SKA-DOOOM indeed - must have been red crosses everywhere.  I am pretty sure that is the very sound when my T-34s blow sky high in-game.  Very distressing.

I too, liked the fade to black and white.  +1 to MOS's comment.  It quickly translated the reader to the more somber mood with the wounding of the two main characters.

I am afraid you have hooked many of us in and we will now be expecting regular editions.  You have only yourself to blame, haha.

I remember how I would get my Sgt. Rock comic in the mail every month.  I am pretty sure the frigging mail man read it before me, as it sometimes had a slightly used look to it.  I would deliberately wait to read it for a few days, knowing that as soon as I had finished it, I'd have to wait another whole month for the next one.  I couldn't help but eagerly fly through them.  Then the waiting and anticipation started all over again.

You've got some good stuff here.  I guess we have to wait now for the next one...  :D  

Heinrich505

Yeah, that T34 kill had a dozen crosses blooming after the hit. It was a desperate move and yet it was that or simply surrender. Only taking the Panther out would give us a fighting chance, and that failed. The battle itself was over in 6 minutes. Kohl pulverized everything on the map with that tank. There was no cover aside from the barn and farmhouse and you saw how that worked out.

Excellent that the fade to B&W worked for you as well. Feedback is great because I'm learning and adapting my writing/design as I do this.

I get delaying reading your comic because you knew you had to wait a while for the next. COMMANDO Comics comes out bi-monthly, so I think subscribers get their fix more often. I don't subscribe but I did get a lot of their collections in book form. It's surprisingly good, I see the formula is to present something and have the story go totally somewhere else. Kinda happened here too, though not by design!

Dmitry's story will continue, but I have to work out with Kohl what our focus will be as it impacts him as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Bud -

Thank you for these series.  They have kept me thoroughly entertained the last few evenings and I am only in to the first few minutes of Somebody's Hero.  My question for you is what happens if your hero gets killed in the first few minutes by some stray shrapnel.  Does that mean you and Kohl have to start over or will you rename the comic "War Sucks" or something similar?

Hey Bud -

Thank you for these series.  They have kept me thoroughly entertained the last few evenings and I am only in to the first few minutes of Somebody's Hero.  My question for you is what happens if your hero gets killed in the first few minutes by some stray shrapnel.  Does that mean you and Kohl have to start over or will you rename the comic "War Sucks" or something similar?

Haha you know I wrestled with that question myself, because of course it can happen. In fact, (I'll try not to give anything away as you have not finished yet) the first battle in Somebody's Hero went NOTHING like I anticipated, and I had to adapt quickly to still have a story to tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep up the good work . really enjoying your work and am a fan of the format :) Try to stay alive longer next time ;) I need a story long enough for 2 cups of coffee ;)

LOL

You're only reading the text! You have to appreciate and absorb the graphics and it will last longer! ;)

Thanks for the comment. Dmitry isn't dead, however. :P

I've been experimenting with some minor tweaks to the graphics to increase the ease of seeing details on the next comic.

Edited by Bud_B

• 1 month later...

Where is the Apache? Am I reading the wrong thread. I need my fix :)

Due to circumstances beyond my control, The Soft Underbelly of Europe is still in German hands ;)

Actually, it's because I'm still trying to be remotely competent using the Canadians and their kit. If we started this now, Operation Husky would be a disaster for the allies! :(

But it's not forgotten, I'm eager to do it and if Kohl is willing we will! :)

The thread will be in the CMFI sub-forum.

Edited by Bud_B

• 2 months later...

Thanks for making this Bud, I just finished reading through it now. Enjoyed it, seems a lot improved compared to your first outing. (tanks are now causing the rrrummmmbbbling, not the general war, etc.)

A few things I noticed:

Sometimes, you switch the camera angle around, that's a bit confusing. For example, on your first page, the hero is presented facing right, then on the second panel, the squad is facing left. The human mind assumes that those guys must be some other people (or the enemy). It's like in movies, when two people are having a conversation, they face each other, one faces right, the other left, as the camera cuts between them. If one of them suddenly changes direction, it's very distracting.

Despite your efforts at translation, in one of the panels, the Germans shout "nooooo" - surely that would be Nein!

It kind of ends very abruptly. I know you were letting the actual battle dictate, but maybe you could have focused more on elaborating the last couple of seconds to heighten the drama :)

Edited by Bulletpoint

Thanks for making this Bud, I just finished reading through it now. Enjoyed it, seems a lot improved compared to your first outing. (tanks are now causing the rrrummmmbbbling, not the general war, etc.)

A few things I noticed:

Sometimes, you switch the camera angle around, that's a bit confusing. For example, on your first page, the hero is presented facing right, then on the second panel, the squad is facing left. The human mind assumes that those guys must be some other people (or the enemy). It's like in movies, when two people are having a conversation, they face each other, one faces right, the other left, as the camera cuts between them. If one of them suddenly changes direction, it's very distracting.

Despite your efforts at translation, in one of the panels, the Germans shout "nooooo" - surely that would be Nein!

It kind of ends very abruptly. I know you were letting the actual battle dictate, but maybe you could have focused more on elaborating the last couple of seconds to heighten the drama :)

Thank you for your comments, Bulletpoint. 

I'm glad you see an improvement over my first CAAR in Normandy. You learn by doing, and I did a lot in that first comic. I restrained myself from changing in media res, saving alterations in technique or approach to the Russian comic. 

You are correct about changing the camera angle. It's tricky, because I don't want to always show the same thing - especially when the men or vehicles have not moved since the last time I showed them, only the circumstances around them have. I fear it will be repetitive to show a succession of near-identical shots. While I was aware of the very issue you mention, I wasn't sure how to change my presentation. Something I'm still working on.... Hopefully APACHE will be an improvement over this comic.

Yeah, the Nooooo is, IIRC, a graphical element, not a speech bubble. The graphical elements are either something I have to make by hand or came with my software. If they came with the software then they are all universally English. 

The ending was unfortunately what actually happened in the battle. One of the problems with converting a CM battle into a comic is that it's tragically realistic at times, with moments of action punctuated by longer periods of inaction. I'm still learning how to make that look more interesting. 

Thank you for reading! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...