Somebody's Hero - A CAAR

Very nice!

Minor thing: "Das wird sie aufwecken!". German differs between waking up yourself and waking up someone. :)

If you like PM me if you need translations .

Crickey! I thought I had it right - I spend a lot of time on the translations - aside from grammar and syntax, idioms are the worst!

I will correct my masters, although I can't change the image displayed above, I want to have it correct. Thank you for letting me know!

Edited by Bud_B

Poesel is the forum German grammar polizei.

You were lucky. This was obviously just a warning ticket.

But next time it is a hefty fine and you must appear at the magistrate in Gross Bustenberg.

Hahahaha. And it's all good. I want what I do to be authentic. :)

Bud,

Really enjoying the action.  You seem to be working "cliffhangers" in rather well, haha. 

I checked some of my Sgt. Rock comics.  The use of German isn't very prevalent, other than the usual kaput, schwein, achtung, Amerikaner, and feuer.  I suspect that Bob Kanigher, Frank Redondo, and the rest of the editing staff at DC Comics didn't want to lose their readers' train of thought by using actual German phrases much, although I do recall some episodes where Rock was listening in to German soldiers conversing, and the editors used German phrases because Rock wouldn't have know what the Germans were planning and the editors didn't want the reader to know either. 

I like your use of actual phrases in both languages.  Please keep it up...with Herr Poesel's approval, of course...those fines can be hefty.  :D

Heinrich505

Bud,

Really enjoying the action.  You seem to be working "cliffhangers" in rather well, haha. 

I checked some of my Sgt. Rock comics.  The use of German isn't very prevalent, other than the usual kaput, schwein, achtung, Amerikaner, and feuer.  I suspect that Bob Kanigher, Frank Redondo, and the rest of the editing staff at DC Comics didn't want to lose their readers' train of thought by using actual German phrases much, although I do recall some episodes where Rock was listening in to German soldiers conversing, and the editors used German phrases because Rock wouldn't have know what the Germans were planning and the editors didn't want the reader to know either. 

I like your use of actual phrases in both languages.  Please keep it up...with Herr Poesel's approval, of course...those fines can be hefty.  :D

Heinrich505

I ended up getting via Amazon.com a number of the Commando Comics. Great stuff, and an inspiration. Some of the stories are truly magnificent, others are more ordinary. But I've noticed that there too, Teufel, Himmel, mein Gott are roughly the limit of foreign languages. I'm curious what beyond Banzai! will be in the Pacific theatre ones.

Not to worried about the German language tax. I owned German cars and paid enough for servicing them. Poesel's salary is covered! :D

Bud_B and Kohlenklau,

Absolutely love this--and so will my nephew who simply devours any sort of appealing story with graphics. It wasn't immediately obvious that your protagonist was a sniper or qua sniper, since I didn't register the "PU" in the rifle designator, a grog tidbit most people won't catch or get . Fortunately, I did notice the scope, though the rifle was heavily shadowed.

I think it's great and very immersive you're using the actual languages and then explaining the passages below. If you're not already employing it, may I suggest you obtain Rottmann's FUBAR, which has a great deal of German WW II military slang, together with nowhere nearly as much Red Army slang? I'm confused by your statement regarding the T-34/85 and its ability to engage the Panther. From what I can tell, you're in frontal kill range vs it. Were I in that situation in CM, I'd do something to draw its attention elsewhere, then roll up the slope enough to be able to spot and fire, pausing long enough to do so, before reversing out of LOS. Wiping out that mortal threat so soon might screw up your narrative, though.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

Thanks, we're both glad you like the results!

I'll definitely take a look at Rottmann's book, looks interesting. 

Regarding the T34 / Panther matchup - The panther is ideally positioned to cover the entire map and I don't have confidence that the T34 is on equal terms here. It might penetrate the front armour of the Panther, but I can guarantee even a glancing blow from the 75/L70 of the Panther is pure death to the T34. And bearing in mind spotting capabilities and optics, I'm not inclined to challenge a Panther face on. Getting that distraction and flank shot is what I'm going for but setting it up is taking precious time (and time means lives in this scenario) so it's ugly.

Dragging out the fight is not being done for the purpose of narrative, believe me! 

Edited by Bud_B

Maybe too bad you don't have any offspring Bud. This would make a great Father's Day present. A real professional printing on good paper and binding for Dad's coffee table? :D

Hmm, I am curious, what are the legal aspects of the screenshot images? Can it be rolled into and sold as a comic book as long as there'd be a blurb in there to give credit to BFC?

I know you don't want to Bud! Just discussion purposes for a non-legal guy.

Are there not guys on youtube who play videogames all day and just make verbal commentary as they play but somehow make money from the images? 

Anyway, come on Dima! 

Maybe too bad you don't have any offspring Bud. This would make a great Father's Day present. A real professional printing on good paper and binding for Dad's coffee table? :D

Hmm, I am curious, what are the legal aspects of the screenshot images? Can it be rolled into and sold as a comic book as long as there'd be a blurb in there to give credit to BFC?

I know you don't want to Bud! Just discussion purposes for a non-legal guy.

Are there not guys on youtube who play videogames all day and just make verbal commentary as they play but somehow make money from the images? 

Anyway, come on Dima! 

Legally I have obtained permission to post these, but not to charge money for them. I don't know what the YouTubers do, but I do recall my wife mentioned that some companies began lawsuits against people posting videos because they felt the posters were profiting materially from it. Not going there. Anything I do will be above board. Steve's been receptive and positive and I intend to keep it that way! :)

Big stuff coming for Dima and Sasha this afternoon. Get your flak vests on...