CMPzC Operation "Nyak Leves" (Budapest '45)

Hiya folks,

I am conceptualizing a CMPzC Operation along the lines of what I am doing over in CMBN forums for "The Road to Eindhoven". I will follow my favorite sanity maintenance protocols of 10-10-10x10 (10 PzC turns max, 10 units per side max, 100 total hexes max map size).

I was previously thinking PzC Minsk 44 (Bagration) for an operation but I am about sick of that period....so I just ordered John Tiller's PzC Budapest '45 on ebay for $20 and by the time we get a module for CMRT (snow) I will be all organized. :D

Anyway, if anyone wants to get involved, please post here and we can use this thread for ideas and kick things around. I have added the concept of minibattles and will soon introduce "leader units". I think it can be great fun. And that is what it is all about, right?

Some eye candy. Just as a placeholder for early ideas...

Nyak%20Leves_zpsya4g0fuv.jpg

Note: My Dad ("Tibor" or Ted in English. I miss you Dad!) was of all Hungarian descent but born in New Jersey in '25. As a young kid he was told to just speak English. But anyway, later on

he would come up to me when I was a kid and do a fake soft chop with his hand to the back of our heads and say "Nyak Leves!"

It means "neck soup" in Hungarian but I guess it has a 2nd meaning like getting busted up side the head. Or the back of the head actually...

Edited by kohlenklau

When were those battles?..Feb '43 and a few months after? With snow right? That is TWO families away. I think you have a long wait. And I think I could be almost 60 before we see, if we ever see, Barbarossa June '41.

Life is short. I recommend you try and simulate/substitute and do Kharkov with the next module of CMRT. What do we not have that you need on your Kharkov CM battlefields? 

snow. snow clothing for axis/allied. Waffen-SS. older versions of PzKpfzW IV (?). What else?

I am 50 now and it seems 7 human years is 1 dog year. No, that is the wrong math!

3"HM" WW2 historical months = 12-18-24-36-(?)"RM" real months development/release BFC? Help me take a stab at a number....

CMBN released April 2011 <June 44>.  Over 2 years later October 2013 and we got <Sept '44 Market-Garden>. Nothing into October 44 yet, No Aachen, No Bulge yet.

CMFI released August 2012 <Sicily July 43>. May 2013 we get GL and now we have out to <June 44>. Nothing new.

CMRT released April 2014 for <Summer-June 44 Bagration>. Almost a year later in real time. Nothing new....

Going back to June 41 from June 44 will be 36HM, Crazy Reverse Chronology! So I predict as much as 144 RM = 12 years.

You're right. I will not be 60. I will probably be 62 and can claim social security just as I pre-order... :D

...and the limited BFC resources to do anything are now stretched out over several families so it does not bode well for WW2 fans that CMBS gets more focus due to possibly better sales/financial return. We may get pretty lonesome if we see a CMBS module come out or CMSF2 before any significant WW2 stuff. Or worse we get a quasi-rehash WW2 new family. Snow from CMFI. Waffen-SS from MG, Some of the same TOE from CMBN. but add a bunch of juicy new vehicles and tank riders and it is a wonderful new family but no Fallschirmjager until CM Bulge gets its first module....? Please just lump it all in from the gitgo and tack on a few bucks.

Anyway, this thread is about enjoying the game in a new/expanded manner. I don't mind pretending CMFI GL is Bulge 44 if I am on my PC today creating a campaign/operation/scenario.

Oh yeah. I also got John Tiller's PzC Salerno 43 for $20 so I can do some fun CMPzC stuff over in the CMFI threads....

Lessons learned:

1. Share e-mail addresses between all players to help coordinate things when needed.

2. Each side gets a PzC OOB chart with unit images and files for corresponding CM OOB's.

3. Unit Headcount, unit structure, experience and motivation established in the beginning as early as possible.

Kohlenklau,

I'd love to get involved but I simply don't have the time right now.  Too much RL and a brutal work schedule. 

I'll continue to cheer from the sidelines.  Your concept of combining PzC and CM is quite novel, and I am enjoying it greatly. 

I am also hoping to live long enough to see more CMRT games/families come out.  Personally I'd love Stalingrad, but we'd probably need some serious work on hand-to-hand combat, as that was the lion's share of the fighting once the Germans got into the city proper.  It just wouldn't "feel" right trying to assault the Red Barricades or the Dzerzhinsky Tractor Factory without some sort of abstraction for melee.  CMBB's hand-to-hand worked for the animations in CMx1 but we'd need something a little more on par with the 1 to 1 we have now with CM.

Heinrich505

Heinrich, 

Not quite the sidelines! I appreciate your support and will name another German leader after you. If you wake up in a cold sweat....not my fault! :D

Maybe they can just speed up the buddy aid animation and have a bayonet/e-tool in their hands for melee!!!??? That funny one with the circling his hands (for bandages??) is like Moe winding up to pop Curly!

Hey, for the record I followed in other's footsteps. I am happy to blaze a few new branches of the trails that noob initially chopped out of the wilderness. And Kuderian and Fizou.

Oh yes, that one is good.  "Woo Woo Woo Woo Woo.  Hey Moe, I keep tryin ta think, but nuthin happens..."

I like your melee suggestions.

Oh man, immortalized in an upcoming battle!  That will be an honor.  Hopefully I don't have a "scratchy throat."  Pressure is on for me to perform well.  :huh:   I can take heart that IanL survived the epic battle between c3K and DMS in the new release...and he was on BOTH sides, haha.

I think this trail you are blazing is just grand. 

The bit about "neck soup" was great.  My father came from Germany after the war.  Amazingly enough, he had a similar gentle hand chop to the neck, but I can't remember the phrase he would use.  It had to be the same sort of thing.

Heinrich505

I've been following along with every battle from both sides.  I hope I make it too.  :D   FLAK Abteilung Führer sounds just fine - it is quite a change from my previous command of a battery of HJ boys and girls working the AA defense of Schweinfurt.  If only the Oberst hadn't found those pictures I had of his wife...

My father was from Tübingen, a university town in the State of Baden-Württemberg, about 19 miles south of Stuttgart.  Been back there twice but that was many years ago. 

Heinrich505

I went to Hungary in 1989 with my father and uncle. We had been set up with a Hungarian police officer who spoke good English and she got us to the town where my Gandmother Grace Sole was from. Sopron? I remember we drove out to the sticks and approached an old house with shutters and windows open (November!) and an old woman in a handkerchief was leaning out and long story short she pointed off to the forest and the translation came back that all my maternal relatives had either died or moved to the new world. On the grandfather's side, I was told Stalin had annexed that region of eastern Hungary after WW2 and it became part of Ukraine...

Hey Heinrich,

Maybe sometime in one of the CMPzC Operations I can rack you up a minibattle? Usually they go very quickly with hardly any units and not a big set-up. Turns cannot take very long and we could skip the DAR.

As long as we knew ahead of time so you didn't get to read any clues in one of the 2 sides' threads. I've already got a good scenario idea for you. Flamethrower operator in a city full of burning buildings! 

Was laughing too hard to type for a while - flamethrower amongst burning buildings...Ach du Lieber, how frustrating that must be... 

As a matter of fact, I had a flamethrower character in one of my CMBB AARs.  There was an interesting backstory to him as well.

You can keep me in mind - that does sound interesting.

Oh yes, I pulled everyone back to guard the bridge and still got pasted.  Grrrr...I'll figure out that Dommel bridge battle yet!

Heinrich505

I think you know that you are currently mjkerner's FlaK Abteilung Fuhrer for the Hex (1,7) battle. Follow along with those DAR's. I hope you make it!

Cool story about your Dad. Did you ever go back to the homeland? ....and where was he from?

He is?  I need to check in on the men more often, I guess.  Good for their morale and all!  I will try to take good care of him then.  Oh, and for intel purposes any of you Allied opponents over on the CMBN threads think you may glean from this info, especially good 'ol Chappy, those are 88's we're talking about...dozens and dozens of 'em! :P