CMPzC Operation "Nyak Leves" (Budapest '45)

A few folks have expressed an interest so we are developing some ideas on what we want to see in the operation and slowly fleshing things out.

a. armored clash.

b. pioneers and sappers.

c. city fighting

d. surrounded axis units hanging on tooth and nail

e. Hungarian units and tanks would be awesome....and I have a loose tooth to maybe put under my pillow tonight! :D

10-10-10x10 protocol. If we get a sufficient level of interest then we can go axis vs allies but I may run it as "OPFOR Commander" for one of the sides.

...and waiting on the CMRT module of course.

If you need another player, open for a position, either side is fine.

Also happy to do DAR/AAR's,

On a side note CMMC 4 was suppose to budapest, but on Konrad, which I helped with some the GM work, linked to a lot of information and maps that may or may not be helpful

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s5f50pv53un9pvy/AABESH-lPtcfaQLqvbgToZqVa?dl=0

Edited by Ardem

Hi Ardem,

I didn't open the dropbox yet. Which game were the maps for? CMRT? Or was this CMBB in the old days? I honestly was not part of that Meta Campaign.

I have read through some of the rules and procedures and the Meta Campaign does not appeal to me so much. I respect what it represents and I respect that it would be of great enjoyment to those folks who want to duplicate a command post. I fly more with a slack, loose at the edges style Operation. :D

I pulled a book off my shelf this morning. Had to wipe a lot of dust off it. "Panzerschlact: Armoured Operations on the Hungarian Plains, Sept-Nov 1944" by Perry Moore. 

Anybody else have it? If we have a long, long wait for a CMRT module (2016?), then we may explore a CMPzC Operation using some of the events described in that book?

CMRT scenario editor can get us to 30 September 1944. If we slide into Cotober for Operation Gypsybaron, the axis attack to take Debrecen for example, we can just say it is October and keep scenario date as September. We could mod some Hungarian tanks based on those German ones they bought or maybe built under license. We might have some mdr file "maneuvering room" to mod uniforms and do some Hungarian troops. What I mean by that is we purchase units in a way to free up a particular mdr file set for the Hungarians. It can be hit and miss as some overlap occurs and messes up the attempt when finally viewed in game....

10-10-10x10 and team against team if the interest picks up....5-5-5x5 and my partners and I will be the OPFOR COMMANDER if interest is not so great.

Edited by kohlenklau

It was for CMBB this is going back prior the birth of my daughter so 7 years ago I think.

I was involved with CMMC2 and 3, they were very intense and long term games was fun but definitely something that took a lot of time and devotion.

I got a feeling nathangun was in CMMC3, not sure. 

This is definitely not something I suggest doing, just providing maps that might be handy for you.

The details in the dropbox are just maps and TOE things at the time as I said you may find something useful you might not. No sweat feel free to look at it or not.

It is funny how we use things like that as time benchmarks. The correlation of your fatherhood and other noteworthy life events  marks also what you were doing in your CM hobby. :D

I appreciate what you are doing, trying to assist. Thank you! I will check through the dropbox and I hope I find some valuable stuff.

Do you mod? Do you make CMRT maps? Do you make scenarios? DO you own PzC Budapest '45 or any other titles? :D

And GM Adam from CMMC4 makes an appearance!  I'm here too (Jagger).

I also thought about Debrecen, but the CMPzC Budapest map doesn't cover the area.  So we have the one system with snowy terrain and expansive OOB/TOE (CMPzC) and another system with summer terrain and a more restrictive TOE (CMRT).

Modding to depict Hungarian forces might be feasible with the overlap in kit (Pz.IV and Stahlhelm) but sadly no 
Turán or Zrínyi...

In any case, I suppose the decision to press ahead now or wait for a module is primary.

Kohl,

I've only got The Siege of Budapest; 100 Days in World War II by Krisztian Ungvary for specific operations in Hungary.  I'm sure some of my other tomes cover some of the action in Hungary but I'd have to dig through them.

The siege apparently covers some of the action east of Budapest prior to the encirclement, time frame 29 Oct to 18 Nov.  I think most of the detail covers the street fighting in the city.

It has been a while since I read it.

Heinrich505

Migo,

We are max 10x10 or at least a 5x5, so we can go "map hunting" on the overall PzC campaign map for a semi-suitable sector of that footprint.

We first need to know what a Debrecen PzC map  would look like to best meet our scenario needs.

If you find this general arrangement of hexes anywhere on the PzC Budepaest maps, then in the PzC submap editor, you can delete all the actual labels and substitute in "DEBRECEN" and other labels as we desire. :D

I gotta be honest. I don't know much details on this Debrecen Operation but after just a little lame a$$ quick reading in wikipedia..looks to be a great basis for a CMPzC Operation!

Here is one of my assistants holding a general map of the area and I have put a red hex around the Debrecen area. Seems to be a city that sits on a "cross" of rail and road routes.

I will look through the Budapest map and see if we have any potential matches. 

Debrecen1_zpsjfmlor9p.jpg

See! I didn't even correlate that map placement to her body parts locations behind the map. That would have been great!

Next time for sure...

EDIT: Holy moley, she has one big honking hex. Tie me off to something sturdy, I'm going in...

My computer is brand new from December 14 (the big 5-0 birthday) and I have some of these bikini girls images downloaded to make stuff for "Allied Offensive Phase"..but other than that it is clean. :D

I guess I might come across as a goon with all this T&A mixed into my war gaming hobby? Oh well, "Mature Theme. Viewer Discretion is Advised. The contents of this thread do not mirror BFC hiring and employment policies. No girls with large juicy breasts were harmed in the making of this image. ASPCGWLJB certified." How is that for a disclaimer?

Edited by kohlenklau

There is mention of Debrecen in The Siege of Budapest, but no real details.  Apparently there was one wicked tank battle for the area. 

The battle seems to have been from October 10-14.  Eleven German and Hungarian divisions with 227 tanks and assault guns outnumbered by over 39 Soviet divisions with something like 773 tanks and assault guns, according to page 2 of the book.  The Soviets did manage to take Debrecen on 20 Oct but failed to encircle the German Army Group South which managed to pull back successfully.  Apparently Soviet losses were tremendous, something in the order of over 500 tanks, 70% of their tank strength, to the Germans losses of around 133 tanks by 20 Oct.  The author feels that if the Soviet advance had been more deliberate, their losses would have been significantly less.  Of course Stalin was pushing hard for the troops to rush recklessly forward.

So, you have a Soviet Front moving at a fast pace against weaker German and Hungarian forces on defense...always a recipe for high losses.  At the same time, Admiral Horthy tried to make peace with the Soviets on 15 Oct, so this would have further complicated things for the defenders, the Germans no longer able to trust the Hungarians.

I think you have some pretty good earmarks for a CMPzC campaign with CMRT battles.

Heinrich505

10-14 October. Any CMPzC Operation would just be a small quick snapshot of the action...maybe 0800-1600 on just one of the days. ....Pixeltruppen Union has great power!. 

I might have us join in the action already in progress. A small axis group surrounded, a panzer group trying to move in to relieve them. Some other recon groups probing.

And some minibattles sprinkled in. And planning to figure out how to implement the "leader units"...

Any luftwaffe experts out there? Any axis air activity during Debrecen?

And GM Adam from CMMC4 makes an appearance!  I'm here too (Jagger).

I also thought about Debrecen, but the CMPzC Budapest map doesn't cover the area.  So we have the one system with snowy terrain and expansive OOB/TOE (CMPzC) and another system with summer terrain and a more restrictive TOE (CMRT).

Modding to depict Hungarian forces might be feasible with the overlap in kit (Pz.IV and Stahlhelm) but sadly no Turán or Zrínyi...

In any case, I suppose the decision to press ahead now or wait for a module is primary.

Jagger mate, how are you. Hope your well. You playing in this as well?

GM Jagger here also did much of the work also in that dropbox. Actually my opinion my favorite GM as a player <smile>