Armata soon to be in service.

Lee_Vincent

According to this anyway (includes video):

http://rt.com/news/234363-armata-tracked-armored-platform/

125mm main gun (claimed to develop more muzzle energy than the German Leopard-2 Rheinmetall 120 mm gun), a multi-barrel APS-capable .50 MG and a 30mm cannon vs light targets and helos. May potentially be fitted with a 152mm gun.

The vehicle is fully computerized and only needs two servicemen to operate it. Each can also deploy the tank’s weapon systems.

The tank’s targeting is reportedly done with an active-phased array antenna and a large variety of other sensors.

Apparently. If so, seems it should certainly be in CMBS.

post-69677-0-71702500-1424536547_thumb.j

post-69677-0-90813000-1424536858_thumb.j

Edited by Lee_Vincent

The tank’s targeting is reportedly done with an active-phased array antenna and a large variety of other sensors.

That sounds rather...fragile...for a tank, if put on the outside

Can you put that antenna inside a compartment surrounded by composite armor an expect it to detect anything other than...well...composite armor?

Where is an electronic/radio engineer when you need one?

Certainly interesting but it probably won't be in service for many years and mybe not at all. Russian developments havebeen cancelled before (eg Black Eagle)

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-russian-armys-secret-weapon-enter-the-armata-program-11711

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eagle_(tank)

Certinly an Armata, even a prototype seems unlikely in 2017

I'm amazed by Russia's confidence in the time table. With Russian economy's downturn and sanctions affecting arms tech trade, like the Mistral deal (eg. T-90's thermal imaging is by Thales, a French company), and how they haven't designed a completely new tank from ground up for decades, I would be surprised if they hit the deadline!

I think they will do their best to complete the project unlike T-95 which never left prototype stage, but so far there's not much to be seen. Armata is not even just a new MBT, it's a whole family of AFVs from APCs to SPA. You can bet the General Dynamics CEO is having wet dreams of Pentagon making an order like that! It would be a nice addition to the game, for sure, but first you need to know what the vehicles actually look and behave like... :)

Yes of course the information is probably optimistic. 

"After five years of development, the Uralvagonzavod Research and Production Corporation has finalized manufacture of the first batch of Armata tanks and heavy personnel carriers. They have been included in Russia’s 2015 defense order, TASS said.

Reportedly, 20 units have already been manufactured and issued to troops for hands-on training.

The exact characteristics and appearance of the platform remain classified, though this might soon change as the new vehicles are on the verge of taking part in the Victory Day Parade on Red Square, May 9 this year."

Their goal of 2300 units does sound like a fantasy.

Can you put that antenna inside a compartment surrounded by composite armor an expect it to detect anything other than...well...composite armor? " I don't know. It is probably a conformal array spread over the tank with overlapping FOV's, but yeah seems it would be highly vulnerable. Still, it would avoid alerting the target when it paints it with it's laser range finder. Better in all weathers too I expect?

Let's see on May, experts says the new Russian tank will be likely to join the this year's May 9th Victory day parade. 

Frankly, I don't trust Russian (and Chinese) expectation or estimation on their war machines, since lots of them are bluffed based on patriotism and national pride. Even the mentions from "experts" of Russia sometimes biased. (But of course there are some credible Russian sources on their weapons) So, I will wait my decision on this tank when reliable sources expect / announce the stats for Armata. But IMO, I don't that much worry about this tank. M1A2 SEP v2 could probably have only small problems to deal with this new tank.

On the other hand, for the diversity of the game, I welcome the Armata in CMBS, but only after the reliable specification of Armata is revealed. 

Edited by exsonic01

Wow, you've already performed rigorous analysis on that matter :)

I can guarantee that I'm better than some Russian fanboys, who are living in the dream world like "m829a4 cannot penetrate t90am since t90am have 800mm+ KE defense without ERA" , or "T90am's shells can penetrate M1A2 front armor at any circumstances". "M1A2 are greatly over estimated" . Obviously, some Russian fantasy world lovers believe that their hope can realized beyond the physics.  :)  :)  :)

Russian technological inferiority, specially about core science related with chemistry and material science, is the real and main point behind all the Russian weapon vs US weapons discussions. Just simple, Russian technology and science is declining in its quality and quantity, since all smart Russians try to escape their nation, and their economy cannot support such expensive projects. 1960s and 1970s were the good days of Russian science.  Let's see, and let's observe how Armata looks like. But if someone expect Armata as an ultimate doomsday weapon which can beat M1A2 SEP v2 and Leo 2A7 like a cake, I will not convinced about that. 

Edited by exsonic01

I can guarantee that I'm better than some Russian fanboys, who are living in the dream world like "m829a4 cannot penetrate t90am since t90am have 800mm+ KE defense without ERA" , or "T90am's shells can penetrate M1A2 front armor at any circumstances". "M1A2 are greatly over estimated" . Obviously, some Russian fantasy world lovers believe that their hope can realized beyond the physics.  :)  :)  :)

Russian technological inferiority, specially about core science related with chemistry and material science, is the real and main point behind all the Russian weapon vs US weapons discussions. Just simple, Russian technology and science is declining in its quality and quantity, since all smart Russians try to escape their nation, and their economy cannot support such expensive projects. 1960s and 1970s were the good days of Russian science.  Let's see, and let's observe how Armata looks like. But if someone expect Armata as an ultimate doomsday weapon which can beat M1A2 SEP v2 and Leo 2A7 like a cake, I will not convinced about that. 

Aha, let us know more.  ;)

Aha, let us know more.   ;)

Dunno.  There's equal evidence the Armata's armor is made from only the finest cheeses, and it is armed with phased plasma cannons. When we see it we can all talk about it, but right now?  Thing might actually be a battlemech for all we actually know about it.

If Russia do not deliver on this tank

it will make them look at bit meh lol

They kinda dont need that look right now. 

Something will show up to the parade.  It's just a question of it it's:

1. An operational vehicle

2. Actually the final model of the Armata or a prototype

3. Is actually connected to Aramata at all (so say, a super-sexy plywoodium turret over a dressed up T-90 hull built explicitly to show an "Armata" at the parade, while option two would be one of the actual prototypes)

4. It's not going to be covered from skirt to commander's MGs in tarps for secrecy's sake.

We're too close to the release date for out and out nothing to show up, unless this is just part of a Putinplot to rage-fire the current generation of tank designers and production companies for incompetence and start anew.  

Sure, we can mock the Russians for their blister but lets remember the US's ability to stay on-time, on-budget and within spec is not exactly sterling either. There's supposedly an *M1A3* out there somewhere that weighs tens tons less than M1A2. Theoretically to be fielded within CMBS timeframe though not so much as a notional drawing of the thing has appeared in public.