Armata soon to be in service.

Lee_Vincent

We could make a poll and bet how will the Armata be, then when it is displayed in March (hey, phun here) we can see who was close.

I really like Russian wartoys, I think the concept of war for Russians is different than for western armies. Western armies try to focus on training, efficiency and technological superiority, eastern armies focus much more on massed numbers as they can field loads of soldiers; Russia is something between both concepts, good equipment and training but everything cheap and not topnotch because they will send loads of people if war comes. This is what I think and I think it is close to reallity.

This said. What is Armata going to be like?

No idea, if the concept for Armata is a tank to prepare for an hipotetycal conflic with western tanks (it's sad that the world is in this situation) it should be something similar to the IS series, well armored, high firepower, good mobility; a nightmare but not as much as the Abrams is now or the tiger was in WW2. I think it will also have a 30mm cannon, infantry seems to be a real danger for armor in modern warfare and a 30 mm cannon is a good response.

It could also be just another Tzar tank and we will all lol hard.

P.D.: There is no reason for Russia to try and make a better 'normal' MBT, the T-90 seems good enough and they will not make something as good as the Leopard 2, it is not in their philosophy.

What I really want to know is how well it can cook a steak. Urban legend has it that the turbo turbine engine used by the M1 has the added benefit of generating so much heat that enterprising tankers would grill steaks on the engine, boil a pot of coffee, fry eggs or heat up MRE's.

Amrata does look cool. 2 man crew and all those guns. Wow. I hope the software is up to the task. The US had all sorts of issuse with the SGT.York. Wouldn't be too cool if the automated system decided that friendly aircraft are hostile-or a hacker introduced rouge code into the system.

panzersaurkrautwerfer,

CAD humor! Love it. I believe Thewood1 had something real world in mind. 

Thewood1,

I would say yes and no. If you watched that T-90 doc over which you taxed me recently, you can see that big beefy host using what I believe was the LWR mast, which was tall and pretty slender, to steady himself while the tank was on the move. Frankly, I feared for it, but it seemed to come through okay. The Russians build tough tanks, but their principal experience with things above the turret is Dushka and Kord related and, to a lesser degree because it's lower, the TC's independent active IR lamp. These are altogether tougher than pricey mast mounted optronics and met sensors. I believe that tree branches and low power lines could be quite injurious to these relatively delicate (compared to the primary tank structure) systems. Would be interested in what the Abrams types have to say on this important matter. From what I can tell, both US and Russian digital command systems, in the latter case, Constellation-2M, use conventional radio antennae, which are flexible, therefore less likely to be ripped off the turret roof should an obstacle encounter occur. Speaking of Constellation-2M, this article is instructive in terms of how much faster the Brigade Commander can get orders out now than before. From tens of minutes to seconds or tens of seconds!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

John Kettler:

I know your right because at the last robotics competition a week ago young junior students were given computesr to remotely control tanks like robots.  The winner stung lights which looked like a series of laser beams simultaneously clearing snow, two tasks at once, won. Hmm

On a tangential note, I recently happened across a pict of a genuine M1A3 Abrams hull displaying its new diesel engine and (very thin) lightweight track links. Tellingly, the turret wasn't mounted so that remains a mystery. So M1A3 is actually a 'thing'! Apparently Armata has some competition.  :D  ;)

On a tangential note, I recently happened across a pict of a genuine M1A3 Abrams hull displaying its new diesel engine and (very thin) lightweight track links. Tellingly, the turret wasn't mounted so that remains a mystery. So M1A3 is actually a 'thing'! Apparently Armata has some competition.  :D  ;)

You mean the hull GD showed at AUSA two years ago?  It's a demonstrator for a company project, not an M1A3 prototype (but M1A3 might incorporate these proposals).

Edited by akd

Every 70 years or so the Sov.. Er Russians come up with an uber tank and display it for the wow factor. Last time it was Sept 45 Allied Victory parade in Berlin. IS3. They are just waiting for their next victory parade to display Armata. FWIW the Armata proto types a likely real and will roll off production lines someday, its just a cosmetically different design with a remote mounted mini gun not a giant leap.

We could make a poll and bet how will the Armata be, then when it is displayed in March (hey, phun here) we can see who was close.

I really like Russian wartoys, I think the concept of war for Russians is different than for western armies. Western armies try to focus on training, efficiency and technological superiority, eastern armies focus much more on massed numbers as they can field loads of soldiers; Russia is something between both concepts, good equipment and training but everything cheap and not topnotch because they will send loads of people if war comes. This is what I think and I think it is close to reallity.

What eastern armies are relying on "massive numbers". China comes to mind, bot inrecent years they have turned from massive "people's army" to more compact professional one.

More speculative art, this time of Object 699 (Kurganets-25 family), although these have a higher level of confidence in reflecting the actual end product as more has already been revealed.

0_1160c8_3c993930_orig.jpg

That quadruple small launchers beneatch ATGM mounts are some sort of APS?

The actual unmanned turret (Bumerang-BM/early Epoch or whatever is the actual designation) was shown already:

http://nevskii-bastion.ru/epoha/

And it was officially patented:

http://www.findpatent.ru/patent/254/2542681.html

#10 is СПЗ (Система постановки завес) - smokescreen deployment system.

Edited by L0ckAndL0ad