Foxholes

Is there a way of ensuring when a squad is directed to move to occupy a group of four vacant foxholes, that they actually occupy the foxholes? On an annoying number of occasions I've got one or two troops going into the foxholes but the rest just cower or kneel behind/beside them!

Foxholes will fit one team-sized unit per group of four foxholes.

It is possible you are crowding the action spot.

Break squads into teams for foxhole use and you should have better results.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it with teams. On the battle I am playing at the moment I have a team of four men and a group of four vacant foxholes. One man has occupied one foxhole and the other three are lying prone behind it. The troops are not under fire or even observed by enemy forces. It is a bit frustrating and looks vaguely ridiculous. I also have a feeling those guys not in the foxholes are going to be in trouble when the enemy eventually comes round the corner!

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it with teams. On the battle I am playing at the moment I have a team of four men and a group of four vacant foxholes. One man has occupied one foxhole and the other three are lying prone behind it. The troops are not under fire or even observed by enemy forces. It is a bit frustrating and looks vaguely ridiculous. I also have a feeling those guys not in the foxholes are going to be in trouble when the enemy eventually comes round the corner!

Although not 100% surefire you can try to help them a bit by setting a face order.

Are we certain that the game system does not calculate things as if all the men were in the foxholes? What we see could be simply a graphical abstraction.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. However, if my men do get shot to pieces when my opponent finally comes into view, I'll be bloody annoyed!

Yeah, I have set a face order. I can confirm that my men are at least facing the right way!

"Face" is a bit tricky. It´s not simply about all guys looking north, south and such, but relates absolutely on the action spot you clicked after "Face". Makes a big difference whether you click the next action spot 8m away, or another one 800m away. It´s more of a "seek cover" vs. FACE clicked action spot and also works on enemy unit icons when clicked.

Just made another small observation. I tested some with moving teams to foxholes and wondered that teams moving into a particular foxhole position, always decided to stay outside. Repeated that a number of times until I noticed there was a tiny crater just beside one foxhole, which single soldiers always prefered to move to, insted of into the foxhole. Might be a bug...:confused:

cmnormandyfoxholevscrat.jpg

And yet another example on same foxhole. A reduced squad of six moved in. Squad leader (1) and second (2) occupy the tiny foxhole, 3 is also hesitant, while 4-5-6 stay in the next action spot. If moving the same squad into a nearby foxhole without crater, they have no problem positioning.

Edit: I erred here. While plotting the move of the 6 men squad into the foxhole, I didn´t notice that 2 action spots (one for 1-2-3 and one for 4-5-6) were highligthed. If splitting the squad into two 3 men teams, they´d move all into the AS with the foxhole, but still with 1-2-3 having a preference for the tiny foxhole. Somehow the game still treats reduced strength squads to occupy more than the necessary single action spot. Think that has been reported before.

Another question into the same direction: Why the men who even were in a foxhole/trench sometimesbegin to crawl outward?

Sometimes, when reacting to enemies or when attempting buddy aid, they appear to sort themselves within the action spot (temporarily neglecting cover), in order to prepare moving into final individual positions. Likely a micro path finding or collision avoiding issue.

Just made another small observation. I tested some with moving teams to foxholes and wondered that teams moving into a particular foxhole position, always decided to stay outside. Repeated that a number of times until I noticed there was a tiny crater just beside one foxhole, which single soldiers always prefered to move to, insted of into the foxhole. Might be a bug...:confused:

I checked situation in editor again and figured the craters (3 L) weren´t in the foxhole AS, but next to it. So obviously one tiny crater spilled over into the foxhole AS and made it a preference cover for any infantry attempting to move into the foxhole. Same happens with M type craters. They´re also much prefered before foxholes. Note: Tested with craters placed in editor only, but likely happens with craters created during live play too. Can any body confirm?

Is this beeing looked at by BFC? From cover/concealment tests i noted this beeing a reason why troops in foxholes are getting spotted easier than in the open. Troops hiding in foxholes tend to begin crawling out giving their position away by this unneccessary movement. Troops hiding without foxholes stay put.

Sometimes, when reacting to enemies or when attempting buddy aid, they appear to sort themselves within the action spot (temporarily neglecting cover), in order to prepare moving into final individual positions. Likely a micro path finding or collision avoiding issue.

• 4 weeks later...
Repeated that a number of times until I noticed there was a tiny crater just beside one foxhole, which single soldiers always prefered to move to, insted of into the foxhole. Might be a bug...:confused:

Now that is an interesting observation! Do you happen to have a save game of this particular situation?

Edit: Continued reading thread to find out that it can be set up easily in the editor. I put it on my testing list!

Best regards,

Thomm

Craters seem to have a magnetic attraction that lures teams out of their foxholes. Which is fine if there's a spread of several little craters or one big crater for the team to hide in -- not so good if there's just crater-space for one lucky soldier and the rest remain exposed...

Speaking of foxholes, I'm delighted with the cover they give now to hiding troops against artillery -- in a recent HTH battle I played against sburke, he had the better part of my US company under near-constant bombardment from 81mm mortars and 105mm guns. My company was in an open pasture but every team had a foxhole. The company had maybe 2 or 3 WIA after over an hour of intermittent shelling -- and those were only the result of direct hits on a hole. HE rounds that hit right nearby would suppress, and rattle them, but not cause casualties. The casualties mounted a bit once an FO got a LOS on them and started laying down more accurate fire. Once I took teams off "hide" the difference was notable. They would still often duck down into cover, but their frequent pop-ups to spot left them sitting ducks for low-flying HE fragments.