Questions about Targeting

Hi Guys,

I apologize if this has been covered, I did try some searches, but didn't come up with the answers to a couple of questions.

1. I the old CM, when you tried to target something it would give you an idea if you could hit it and if you did hit it whether you had any chance to kill. I guess this was removed in the new game? If so, that will make it tough for the sometimes player like me to have an idea whether it makes any sense to take a shot or which shot of a couple I might have. :(

2. There used to be a "cycle through targets" key. I guess this is removed also? Bummer.

I'm afraid I'm not going to like the answers, but if you know the answers it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jet

1. I the old CM, when you tried to target something it would give you an idea if you could hit it and if you did hit it whether you had any chance to kill. I guess this was removed in the new game? If so, that will make it tough for the sometimes player like me to have an idea whether it makes any sense to take a shot or which shot of a couple I might have. :(

Unfortunately, the new model of shot modelling leaves the engine in the same state of ignorance about chances of hitting and penetration as you. It's deterministic, rather than probablistic, modelling the trajectory of the shell with some slight random deviations. Whether the particular instance of modelling will or will not result in a hit, the engine doesn't have the information to determine, until it actually does it.

Unfortunately, the new model of shot modelling leaves the engine in the same state of ignorance about chances of hitting and penetration as you. It's deterministic, rather than probablistic, modelling the trajectory of the shell with some slight random deviations. Whether the particular instance of modelling will or will not result in a hit, the engine doesn't have the information to determine, until it actually does it.

But engine should say if it is an easy or difficult etc. shot, as the guy with his bazooka knows that (and this evaluation should be more or less accurate according to the experience of the soldiers in the formation)... This won't be a probability, but a feeling. It could help, I think, but maybe too difficult to implement? Anyway we can more or less evaluate that thanks to the blue / grey LOF (Line Of Fire) and experience of the team...

i wonder how AI make its decisions if the engine doesn't know hit or kill probabilities.

But engine should say if it is an easy or difficult etc. shot, as the guy with his bazooka knows that...

Tell that to the ATRocket teams that open up at the absolute maximum range of their weapon... :) The point is that the engine knows nothing of the sort. It knows the range, azimuth and bearing of the target and does its best to make a trajectory intersect that point.

Anyway we can more or less evaluate that thanks to the blue / grey LOF (Line Of Fire) and experience of the team...

I don't think the colour of the line tells you anything other than whether some or all of the team can draw LOS to the target, does it?

Most likely there is no coded probability assesment for the tanks or anybody else than shoots/throws something in this game. The tanks will always shoot if they see a target. Of course when the target arc is set then they will not shoot. I think that this reflects real life better than giving the hit probabilities. The tankers don't have a chart which they check if they shoot or not. If they are ordered to have firing sectors then they will shoot only when target enters the area.

The point is that the engine knows nothing of the sort. It knows the range, azimuth and bearing of the target and does its best to make a trajectory intersect that point.

So engine won't be able to give us the info? So we will continue to evaluate it ourselves. For an "Elite" gamer, it is not a problem, as he has game experience to know whether a shot is possible / credible or not...

So engine won't be able to give us the info? So we will continue to evaluate it ourselves. For an "Elite" gamer, it is not a problem, as he has game experience to know whether a shot is possible / credible or not...

yes, and this is exactly my point. I love to play, but I don't get as much time as I want. To determine whether I should open fire, or which target is more likely to get destroyed is something you only gain with experience, of which I don't get much of, but something I would hope the guys in the tank have either been told (e.g. "don't open up on a Panther unless you're within xxx yards") or learned through experience.

It would make the game much more playable (and fun) for the noobs and some time players if *some* sort of indication of probability of hit and kill were given. It doesn't have to be precise, but hopefully better than "you can see it, try it and see. If you're wrong, it just means death. What are you worried about?" ;)

Jet