Help with AT Gun Placement

Hello All:

I placed an AT Gun near the bocage so that it could fire down the road (say 12 o'clock) but still have a field of fire to the left-hand side (say 9 o'clock). I think it got stuck in the bocage because it could see a Grant in its LOS for a full 20 seconds and did nothing. A second later it was in the same state as the sheep that got stuck in the bocage.

Why did it not fire on the Grant? It had LOS but I assume that means the crew could see the Grant but they couldn't pivot the 75mm enough to get the shot.

I had given it a Face command in the direction of the Grant because I knew it was in the area. If I moved the Gun an action spot away from the bocage it would be out in the open. Any tips?

Thanks,

Gerry

post-12002-141867623301_thumb.jpg

Hello All:

I placed an AT Gun near the bocage so that it could fire down the road (say 12 o'clock) but still have a field of fire to the left-hand side (say 9 o'clock). I think it got stuck in the bocage because it could see a Grant in its LOS for a full 20 seconds and did nothing. A second later it was in the same state as the sheep that got stuck in the bocage.

Why did it not fire on the Grant? It had LOS but I assume that means the crew could see the Grant but they couldn't pivot the 75mm enough to get the shot.

I had given it a Face command in the direction of the Grant because I knew it was in the area. If I moved the Gun an action spot away from the bocage it would be out in the open. Any tips?

Thanks,

Gerry

One of the problematic issues of LOS and 1:1 is it by no means says you have LOF. One of your gun crew may have LOS, doesn't mean the gun itself can fire. I have had a similar issue where a tank behind a hedgerow had LOS to an enemy Panzer, I expect it was just the TC though as when I tried to line up the gun to target it I got the indicator that the main gun couldn't actually hit it. So for 60 seconds my tank stared real intently at that Panzer, I mean REAL intently. Fortunately for me the Panzer never noticed.

What does it show when you try to use a target line or did you not get the chance?

My only suggestion on positioning an AT gun is as you set it up check the targeting lines from that position very thoroughly. It won't necessarily tell you everything, but it may tell you what areas you definitely can't cover.

It's hard to tell from the screenshot (it's awful small), but you might be trying to shoot too parallel to the bocage instead of perpendicular to it. In my experience, you are generally limited to about a 90* or so area of fire through bocage. If you're trying to fire directly perpendicular to it or about 45* in either direction you're fine, but if you try to shoot further off to the side than that it simply becomes too thick to see through and you lose LOS/LOF.

It's a PBEM from my opponent. Can I turn that into a saved game file?

Yes. Once you open it and have watched the turn press the red button of doom to get to the command phase and then use the Menu | Save command to save it (actually I am pretty sure you can save it during play back too). That will create a bts file in your Saved Games folder.

That saved .bts file will still need a password to open it so be careful how public you make your pw.

Warning the turn number will be incremented by this (see the recent thread on this issue: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=100794). Incrementing the number is mostly harmless but could confuse your opponent - I know it has confused me in the past.