Danger close

Just thought I'd report on something I observed last night. I had an ongoing strike from a 155mm battery and my troops were over 250m out but moving in that direction, when during the turn a couple of my men fell over seriously wounded. These were from airbursts and all were somewhat in excess of 220m, moving in open terrain. Be forewarned.

Michael

I have seen things like that--surprised the heck out of me when my own soldiers were causualties when my arty was landing 100+ meters away. I didn't think is was airbursts, I thought it was just from fragmentation. In my experience, kneeling soldiers, even, out in the open seem very vulnerable to random bits of flying metal. Thus I find myself trying to remember to "hide" after each movement so they go prone--though that is an extra bit of micromanaging.

I had a squad in perfect cover (in that the pesky Pz IV had no LOS to them). Then an AP round hit the friendly Sherman to their left, ricochet off into them and took down two of the squad. Brilliant. They're bouncing shells round corners now, I thought. Nowhere is safe.

(The Sherman was fine, if you're at all concerned)

Then an AP round hit the friendly Sherman to their left, ricochet off into them and took down two of the squad.

Lost three guys in three different units in an incident like that yesterday, although it was my fault to keep them too close together (two had gone through a bocage opening while the third was in the process of doing so).

Magic bullets indeed.

Just thought I'd report on something I observed last night. I had an ongoing strike from a 155mm battery and my troops were over 250m out but moving in that direction, when during the turn a couple of my men fell over seriously wounded. These were from airbursts and all were somewhat in excess of 220m, moving in open terrain. Be forewarned.

Happened to me with Nebelwerfer ... c'est la guerre :mad:

I had numerous occasions with unexpected shrapnel catching Pixeltruppen so far. A 75mm HE round from a Sherman aimed at a german Schreck team, hit the ground few meters in front of the gunner and wounded the loader straightly behind. The gunner kept unharmed. Might be, the shrapnel ricochetted from a house wall nearby, thus hitting the loader who I would actually have considered protected/covered by his gunner team mate straight in front of him.

Another 75mm HE hit the ground in a street and killed the observer in a sniper team, about 10-20m away in the 2nd story of a building (no balcony). Edit: Again, the observer was standing BEHIND the sharpshooter in this occasion.

Is shrapnel catching a chance % to get hit (abstracted)? That might explain some.

German TMs of the period give 300m as minimum safety range for most artillery and less for mortars. If safety to own troops is less of concern (russians oftenly did not care the slightest and Brits tended to "lean on their barrages"), it also is a valid tactic in the game, to sacrifice few friendly Pixeltroopers for the benefit of having the defenders yet well suppressed upon arrival. Just like in WW2 RL.

The flipside of the coin is that sometimes you can have shells land within metres and not take any damage...

True, and from my readings, that is realistic too. Chance played a large role in things like this.

Update on my original post: In addition to three guys seriously wounded (one dead) I had another at least three slightly wounded that I failed to notice at first and only discovered when I polled all the teams one by one.

Michael