Stare down

I had a strange thing happen to me in the scenarion "Two Bridges". I haven't played that many scenarios with tanks so what I'm about to describe might happen a lot, so bear with me. At the same time I had two tanks each facing a spotted enemy tank (turrets facing each other). I had them both set to fire their main gun. I guess the enemy must have spotted me (eventually). What happened was this: neither of my tanks fired and nor did the enemy tanks as this went on for two turns (before I tried something else). Stranger still was for one of my tanks the left hand indication was "Commander/gunner: aiming, firing, reloading" without either firing MG/Main gun. It was like a wild west stare down - who would fire first...? No one did. So I moved both tanks and one was promptly destroyed.

Isn't this one of those things where the commanders can see the tanks (hence they are "spotted") but there is no LOS for the main gun?

I thought the main gun had LOF if the commander has LOS and when you can target the enemy icon with a clear light blue line.

I thought the main gun had LOF if the commander has LOS and when you can target the enemy icon with a clear light blue line.

Not necessarily. The LOS calculations for all crew members of an AFV are done separately. So it is possible for a TC with his head out of the top hatch to be able to see a target, when the gunner looking through the gunsight cannot.

I still haven't been able to figure out the exact details, but it also appears that you can get a blue target line, even if the gunner can't get a fix on the target through the main gunsight. IMHO, this is something of a bug; if the gunner can't see the target, a grey "partial LOS" target line would make sense, but not a blue "good LOS" target line.

Not necessarily. The LOS calculations for all crew members of an AFV are done separately. So it is possible for a TC with his head out of the top hatch to be able to see a target, when the gunner looking through the gunsight cannot.

I still haven't been able to figure out the exact details, but it also appears that you can get a blue target line, even if the gunner can't get a fix on the target through the main gunsight. IMHO, this is something of a bug; if the gunner can't see the target, a grey "partial LOS" target line would make sense, but not a blue "good LOS" target line.

Also, as I stated in my initial post, why would the indication be "aiming, firing, reloading" - if nothing happens? Doesn't make sense. I agree with you re blue line. Should be gray instead.

Also, as I stated in my initial post, why would the indication be "aiming, firing, reloading" - if nothing happens? Doesn't make sense. I agree with you re blue line. Should be gray instead.

Reloading would be strange. Are you sure you were reading that right? The usual sequence for the "I got him - no I don't - yes I do - oh wait no..." -loop is "Aiming, Elevating, Firing". But in principle it doesn't matter as the effect is the same.

Reloading would be strange. Are you sure you were reading that right? The usual sequence for the "I got him - no I don't - yes I do - oh wait no..." -loop is "Aiming, Elevating, Firing". But in principle it doesn't matter as the effect is the same.

I might have a save to check, but wouldn't even "firing" be odd as they don't fire. More accurate would aiming - fired - reloading be.

Well the whole issue is certainly odd and unpleasant. What I meant was, if you are getting a different series of status messages than the usual "Aiming, Elevating, Firing" for the tank in question, you might be seeing a different issue than the (well known) "not firing despite having blue LOS" problem. Or a different variation thereof.

There's no question that there is sometimes a problem with LOS lines vs. actual LOS in the game, anyway.

Actually that's why I suggested the TC LOS but no MA LOS scenario. I'm sure I've been in the same situation with similar cryptic messages displayed. Can't remember if they were exactly the same though. I do remember it being very frustrating and puzzling. It would be a jolly good idea if there was an indication that the MA has no LOS if this is the case. You would assume the gunner would say "what tank?" or something along those lines if he was ordered to fire on something he couldn't see.

I had a strange thing happen to me in the scenarion "Two Bridges". I haven't played that many scenarios with tanks so what I'm about to describe might happen a lot, so bear with me. At the same time I had two tanks each facing a spotted enemy tank (turrets facing each other). I had them both set to fire their main gun. I guess the enemy must have spotted me (eventually). What happened was this: neither of my tanks fired and nor did the enemy tanks as this went on for two turns (before I tried something else). Stranger still was for one of my tanks the left hand indication was "Commander/gunner: aiming, firing, reloading" without either firing MG/Main gun. It was like a wild west stare down - who would fire first...? No one did. So I moved both tanks and one was promptly destroyed.

Do you have a save of this?

In a current game I saw a similar situation, but for a German HMG team. I gave them a target order to shoot at a tank (to get the commander). IMO there is nothing preventing them from shooting, yet during the entire turn they didn't shoot once. As you can see it seems that the gunner is on wrong side of the gun - between the barrel and the target. I don't know if it's just a visual problem or is this actually preventing him from using the gun? :)

mg_not_shooting.jpg

Stranger still was for one of my tanks the left hand indication was "Commander/gunner: aiming, firing, reloading" without either firing MG/Main gun.

Just curious, but is the ammo count going down after the firing/reloading indication? I mean, even if the tank isn't actually firing?

Do you have a save of this?

Unfortunately I don't. I had one the turn before the situation arose, but I've tried to recreate it several times but all the time I get blown away. As far as I remember I had a short "hunt" command since I knew there was a tank in that area. My guess is that the "hunt" command stops just before firing the main gun is possible, even though I got LOS and "blue line". It could be a matter of mm on screen and 0,5 m in-game, that causes the unit to get stuck in between being able to fire according to the game engine, but is isn't executed due to some other factor. Same thing goes for the enemy tank that must have had spotted me as I was in the open, and yet he didn't fire either.